User Avatar Image

Should games be hard or easy?

posted by tabstis on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users
So I recently played through Bayonetta which I thought was an awesomely fun game but I found that it suffered because of the extreme extent of normal difficulty...
So I'm wondering whether you guys prefer to play easy games or harder games and whether it can have a real impact on gameplay and the experience or whether overall it doesn't really matter...
Thoughts below ;)
45 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I like harder over easy any day but it all comes down to the game play.
  • DAISHI;479704 said:
    See I don't do this. I'm in it to beat it as quick as possible and get back to life.
    Interesting that you say this and yet you have an MGS avatar, which is not a quickly winnable game, at least at first.
  • Chyron8472;480241 said:
    Interesting that you say this and yet you have an MGS avatar, which is not a quickly winnable game, at least at first.
    I played that in...11th grade? I think MGS4 took me two days to beat.
  • I never got this. I'd like all games to go on a slope from chronically easy at the beginning, to almost impossibly hard at the end. Everyone gets to play it to some degree, but you really have to work hard at it for the satisfaction of completion.
  • If I drop sixty bucks, I want to see the end. Completionists get all sorts of challenges and trophies to work towards. I don't care about those, and am glad that they're there for those looking for higher challenges.
  • DAISHI;480258 said:
    I played that in...11th grade? I think MGS4 took me two days to beat.
    Seriously? How? I think it takes two days just to watch all the cinematics.
  • Just sat down and played in consistently at Christmas.
  • Ok. So I bought Bioshock 2 yesterday and am playing it on the normal setting. I'm about halfway done from what I've seen in review.

ANYWAY.

This is about ease. Hints. Etc.

While I still emphasize that I'm mostly in it for the story... I'm starting to see why some people are frustrated with the hint system. Bioshock 2 holds your hand with hints at about every turn. At one point I was supposed to look for a switch to a secret door, and not more than 2 minutes into the search the game just tells you where to look for it.

That's just stupid.

Anyway, just say yes to optional hint systems.
  • I prefer games to be easy to learn, with a few easy levels at the beginning, with a little extra difficulty towards the end. If a game is too hard I'll just give up and that's money wasted.

Where adventure games are concerned - clever but logical puzzles are the way to go.
Add Comment