User Avatar Image

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 7K users
I know that we have a thread to facilitate this sort of discussion, and a place to vent our excitement for up coming movies. But I felt that this particular film deserves its own thread, seeing as how the majority of us here are highly anticipating its release - something I've deduced from the fact that about 90% of the posts in the 'Up Coming Movie Thread' have mentioned it. I'm referring, of course, to 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides':

As the poster states, this will be released on May 20, which is under two months away! And, as though some fans weren't excited enough, a new trailer has now been released (though I do warn you that this trailer may contain what will perhaps be the best parts of the film).
151 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hayden;511134 said:
    Here's Disney's rumoured shortlist for directors of 'Pirates 5':

Tim Burton
    Alfonso Cuaron
    Shawn Levy
    Rob Marshall
    Sam Raimi
    Chris Weitz

I'm personally hoping for either Tim Burton, since it would be very interesting to see his take on the franchise, or Alfonso Cuaron, given his amazing resume. However, I would have no problem with Marshall having a second go at directing a Pirates film, because I like what he did with 'On Stranger Tides.'
    Only ones I have any knowledge of are Tim Burton and Sam Raimi. Tim Burton has made great movies, and I think he's quite unique, even if he's tricks are starting to shine through. At least his movies stand out. Him and Johnny Depp work great together, so him being behind the fifth movie wouldn't mind me at all.

I only know Sam Raimi through the Spartacus tv-series, and both of them (Blood and Sand, and Gods of the Arena) are excellent and probably my favourite TV series of all time. The story-telling is actually very good in these, so I wouldn't mind seeing him at the wheel either.
  • StarEye;511197 said:
    At least his movies stand out.
    He is making the same movie again and again to an extend that there are even sketches about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFzLRP8e4vE
  • Oh god .... I would hate Tim Burton as the director... I like a few of his movies but he is not a director you should hire for an established franchise because he usually does not respect the source material's style he will make it his own style that he actually has ripped off from the artist/writer Edward Gory.

Do we really want to see Jack's face painted pure white and his clothes switched to black and white stripes?
  • I'm just trying to imagine Pirates in Tim Burton style. I just can't do it. My brain is rebelling against me for even trying.

I like Tim Burton, but his style is completely unsuited to a Pirates film. White make-up does not belong anywhere near the Caribbean.
  • Just a heads up for UK peeps: Dead Mans chest is currently on iplayer, but is due to expire at 11.20PM tonight, if anyone wants to watch it.
  • Alcoremortis;511305 said:
    I'm just trying to imagine Pirates in Tim Burton style. I just can't do it. My brain is rebelling against me for even trying.

I like Tim Burton, but his style is completely unsuited to a Pirates film. White make-up does not belong anywhere near the Caribbean.
    Here I did a quick photoshop for you
  • Irishmile;511227 said:
    he will make it his own style that he actually has ripped off from the artist/writer Edward Gory.
    This. Tim Burton has no unique style. He's a ripoff hack. Get Sam Raimi or get nobody.
  • Edward Scissorhand, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sweeney Todd all are very different to me, apart from the Tim Burton weirdness to them. And even if they WERE the same, there's still no other people (that I know of) that does the stuff that he does, and successfully. That makes his movies stand out.

Besides, if the next movie happened to be a ghost story, his character styles would certain work for the ghosts. It's not like Jack Sparrow or Barbossa or his crew are suddenly going to be white face and wear makeup. Jack is already halfway there with his black makeup around his eyes, I'm sure he'll settle with that.
  • Irishmile;511379 said:
    Here I did a quick photoshop for you
    Oh Lord.

This needs to go in the Cannot Unsee thread. Immediately. Because I will never be able to look at Pirates of the Caribbean without this image taunting me at the back of my mind.
  • Beards and mustache isn't Burton-ish, as far as I an remember, if not having those and looking a little more Edward Scissor hands-ish I'd buy it Irishmile. Awesome photoshop.
Add Comment