User Avatar Image

BTTF "Share your disappointment" Thread

posted by ADAMATION on - last edited - Viewed by 2K users
Okay, so 2 months or so ago, I posted a comment about how this game was going to suck for the following reasons..

A.) Point and click
B.) Linear gameplay

After getting bitched out by telltale radicals I thought, well...maybe it won't be as bad as I am thinking. And at least it's a modern, 3D BTTF game. God was I wrong. After playing the demo and watching in horror at the gameplay videos online..I totally lost all hope in getting an awesome BTTF game. And the worst part is, look at the Jurassic Park trailer. It looks awesome. It's not cartoony, and from what Ive read its NOT going to be point and click. Apparently the designer said it wouldnt feel right to walk around aimlessly solving puzzles..? So why the hell is the Back to the Future game just that?! Whats the difference between BTTF and JP? Theyre both adventure movies. So why does JP get to be an awesome adventure game and BTTF, which is probably more popular anyway, is a cartoony, restricted, puzzle game? I just don't get it.....And to those of you out there who are going to rip me to shreads about not knowing what BTTF is about or sarcasticly tell me theyre sorry that its not like GTA, this time I know I am right that BTTF did not get the game it deserved.

So anyone out there who agrees with me, share your story. And if you disagree with me, please tell me why I should like the BTTF game.

Thanks
87 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I don't think we can speculate as to WHY certain things are lacking. We don't know. It could be any number of things. Telltale's own management, time crunch, Universal, Bob Gale(honestly, I personally don't think this one makes much sense), or simply the designers messing up or getting the wrong idea for any of a wide variety of reasons. All we can really say for certain is that this game has almost no interactivity to it, there's almost no content outside of cutscenes and correct puzzle solutions, exploration is stymied at every turn with invisible walls, an uncooperative camera, and entire sections of the game world NOT EXISTING, and the game hints so strongly about puzzles that you never are given enough room to think. The REASONS for that, well, that's going to remain a mystery, I think.
  • The last time Bob Gale wasn't involved, we got the shit that was LJN's version, which Bob Gale has told fans to not buy.
  • 63cohen;521313 said:
    The last time Bob Gale wasn't involved, we got the shit that was LJN's version, which Bob Gale has told fans to not buy.
    This logic makes no sense. I can also say "The last time they tried to make a Back to the Future video game, we got the shit that was LJN's version, which Bob Gale told fans not to buy", or "the last time they released a game on consoles", or "the last time they made a game starring Marty", and it would be just as relevant. Are you really telling me that NO MATTER WHAT ELSE CHANGES, Bob Gale's involvement or lack thereof is the ONE THING that will doom a project? Do you REALLY think LJN would have done an excellent job if he was involved? Because the NES games were bad for GAMEPLAY reasons too, you know.
  • Aesculapius;520239 said:
    I'm disappointed that people were disappointed in this game. It was an excellent addition to the BTTF series. There are few things I could have wanted more from a sequel. It felt a bit restricted by the adventure game genre of gameplay (though I couldn't think of a better genre for it).

Long story short, I was pleasantly surprised by it, not let down.
    The restriction is not because of the genre, but because of how easy the game is. Monkey Island 2 had you sailing around from island to island in freedom, and that is how old? Im sure freedom from time to time was possible.
  • You guys got me wrong.
    I wasn't implying Bob Gale had no talent or sucked at writing for video games.

I'm saying that his involvement was limited, and clearly, telltale just took his concepts and dragged them on for far too long.

Dashing, how can you not understand, you who noticed to incredible power of the "plot convenience", that makes everything appear or disappear by magic when it needs to ?

When you get this kind of lazy writing for the whole game, that's clearly because they just couldn't handle it and had to drag things on. The story just wasn't controlled, they gave themselves tasks and "things to complete" among each episode, even if it didn't make sense or was bad for the sake of pacing (and you have to admit the whole thing is pretty horrid).

The restriction is not because of the genre, but because of how easy the game is. Monkey Island 2 had you sailing around from island to island in freedom, and that is how old? Im sure freedom from time to time was possible.
    If two games have to be brought up when talking about BTTF, it's Blade Runner and Shadow Of Memories. It meets all of those "we want newcomers to the genre" requirements BTTF tried to achieve, while having obvious qualities (as games, even if it was cutscene/story heavy), and interaction, while BTTF had none.
  • Rather Dashing;521317 said:
    This logic makes no sense. I can also say "The last time they tried to make a Back to the Future video game, we got the shit that was LJN's version, which Bob Gale told fans not to buy", or "the last time they released a game on consoles", or "the last time they made a game starring Marty", and it would be just as relevant. Are you really telling me that NO MATTER WHAT ELSE CHANGES, Bob Gale's involvement or lack thereof is the ONE THING that will doom a project? Do you REALLY think LJN would have done an excellent job if he was involved? Because the NES games were bad for GAMEPLAY reasons too, you know.
    I think if he was involved, he would have kicked LJN to the curb. But then again, LJN never worked with the producers, which is why they produced shit constantly.
  • HE couldn't have kicked them to the curb. They had a licensing deal with Universal. The best, the VERY BEST, he could have done would be to give advice and hope it was followed.
  • Rather Dashing;521337 said:
    HE couldn't have kicked them to the curb. They had a licensing deal with Universal. The best, the VERY BEST, he could have done would be to give advice and hope it was followed.
    By the time he saw what they were doing, it was already too late. It was in one of those recent interviews.
  • 63cohen;521338 said:
    By the time he saw what they were doing, it was already too late. It was in one of those recent interviews.
    It was too late the moment they were signed on. If you think that he would be able to "kick LJN to the curb" if he was involved from the moment the contract was signed, you're simply delusional.
Add Comment