User Avatar Image

Ideas that you were beaten to/weren't aware has been done.

posted by tredlow on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users
Ever had an awesome idea for a movie/game/TV show/comic/invention, only to realize that someone has beaten you to it or it has been done before?

I had an idea of a movie where a guy journeys from heaven to hell to rescue his wife. I was shocked and saddened when I found out that it was a novel AND a movie adaptation already.
33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • GaryCXJk;517886 said:
    A motorized bicycle without a motor.
    I think it's called a horsebike, or a nonmotor in Europe.
  • tredlow;516320 said:
    Yeah, but that didn't stop JK Rowling, so it's fine.

Also, I had an idea for a movie like Tron, but the computer world is like the normal world. Damn you, Matrix.
    Eh, aren't both tredlow and Rowling a few decades late?
    Or does worst witch not count as it was a school for witches?
    (But back in the 70's they have tended to keep the genders separated at school)
  • tredlow;517920 said:
    I think it's called a horsebike, or a nonmotor in Europe.
    I thought it was called "bicycle" here.
  • Fire and the wheel. However, apparently some git's already figured those two out! Still, I've always got my design concepts for a transport that can fly!
  • I had this idea about a place on the other side, but Doug tennapel beaten me to the punch with Ghostopolis.
  • E Readers. I drew a design years ago that was similar to a DS held 90 degrees, the size of a regular paperback when open.
  • tredlow;516305 said:
    Ever had an awesome idea for a movie/game/TV show/comic/invention, only to realize that someone has beaten you to it or it has been done before?

I had an idea of a movie where a guy journeys from heaven to hell to rescue his wife. I was shocked and saddened when I found out that it was a novel AND a movie adaptation already.
    Also sounds similar to a certain 800 year old epic poem
    Fire and the wheel. However, apparently some git's already figured those two out! Still, I've always got my design concepts for a transport that can fly!
    But if they could be combined, why then I'd be rich. I think I'll call it the firewheel.
  • I had an idea of an online adventure game. However, I discovered that there was URU Online, (which doesn't seem to be good enough for role playing,) and Mask of Eternity was planned as one.
  • User Avatar Image
    Blind Sniper Moderator
    On the Team Fortress 2 forums, somebody came up with the idea of making a reskin of the Solemn Vow weapon for the Medic featuring the Spy's head (from the refrigerator scene in Meet the Medic) instead of the bust of Hippocrates. He posted it on the forums and everybody really liked the idea, spreading the word saying both he and the idea were genius. I came up with the same weapon idea earlier than he did, but didn't think of sharing it. :P
  • Yes, well, original ideas are to die for...
Add Comment