User Avatar Image

Plastic Beach

posted by Pinchpenny on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users
The new Gorillaz album hit UK stores (and elsewhere) today. After much deliberation I went for the iTunes Deluxe Edition so I could get the two extra and exclusive tracks. It's a different direction from their previous albums, but that's what makes it so good. You never really know what you're going to get with Gorillaz. I find their songs take a while to grow on me, but here's what I like on first listening:
  • Stylo (had the single beforehand)
  • Superfast Jellyfish
  • On Melancholy Hill
Has anyone else picked it up? What do you think? You can hear some of the songs on their YouTube channel. Be sure to check out their online adventure game too.
24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Am I right in saying you have to be a member of their (paid) fan club to actually download the album?
    Yep. You have to be a member of their "Sub Division Fan Club" to download the free album, which technically makes it non-free doesn't it? :)
  • Milkman08;440910 said:
    Yep. You have to be a member of their "Sub Division Fan Club" to download the free album, which technically makes it non-free doesn't it? :)
    which makes it too expensive. Sorry. I am not paying that money to be in their fanclub.
  • der_ketzer;440982 said:
    which makes it too expensive. Sorry. I am not paying that money to be in their fanclub.
    Indeed. I think the album is getting a proper retail release later this year.
  • I listened to it a couple of times but it never really grabbed me. There are a couple of good tracks on it but it just didn't gel like the great albums do. I don't think they'll ever top Demon Days.
  • Yeah, they'd have to put out something absolutely AMAZING to top Demon Days. That said, I still haven't gotten around to listening to any of the album other than Stylo. I really ought to get around to picking it up.
  • I know right, :) I just put Stylo on repeat for ages and have only listened to the album as a whole a couple of times, including once after reading this thread. It's like I don't want to listen to anything else on it, which is a bad sign for an album.
  • Actually, I only listened to Stylo because it was the only song with a video at the time. I haven't even thought about Gorillaz in months other than when one of their songs comes up on my iPod's shuffle.
  • Why do you guys only listen to stylo? Rhinestone Eyes and On Melancholy Hill are SO AWESOME. Srsly, you don't want to miss those.
  • Considering my original post here was nearly a year ago, I think it's good to look back, initially I was quite harsh on this album, it's not quite Instant Hits, but it's a grower, there's actually a few tracks on the album that are brilliant, but the only way to enjoy them is at a high volume over headphones, tracks like Stylo, Rhinestone Eyes, Glitter Freeze and Plastic Beach.
  • Pinchpenny;440989 said:
    Indeed. I think the album is getting a proper retail release later this year.
    It's out now!
    In fact, The Fall released in April; but I had no idea since I've already got the "free" digital version and I weren't following the news related to the album's physical release.
Add Comment