User Avatar Image

The Silver Lining thread

posted by Mike Haley on - last edited - Viewed by 8.8K users
Nobody else has posted this, so...

It looks like The Silver Lining (formerly known as King's Quest IX: Every Cloak Has a Silver Lining) will finally be released in Summer 2009. That is, if Vivindi Games (now merged with Activision) doesn't sit on its royal ass during the approval process. Unfortunately, only the first two chapters of The Silver Lining will be released. The remaining chapters (3-9) will most likely never see the light of day. According to the team, it would take 10 or more years to complete them without proper funding, which even if they had, would put their fan license in jeopardy.

It would be interesting to see if they ultimately decide to release the remaining chapters one at a time over the next few years. I hear that episodic gaming is doing fairly well...

http://www.tsl-game.com/journal/special/

Now, I just wish that SQ7.org would receive permission from Vivindi Games to be completed.
301 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Lines? There are no lines on the internet.
  • Mr. Freeze;563724 said:
    Sure, absolutely, but you have to draw the line somewhere reasonably. Any sane person could look and see that hardly any of Lamb's or Anakin's posts are constructive and are basically just offensive.
    I would have to agree with this. I've played through the four episodes of TSL, and while there were things that I found annoying and didn't particularly enjoy, on the whole I was satisfied, especially with it being free and all.

There's nothing wrong with people expressing either negative or positive reactions to things, but when it degenerates into personal attacks and insults against not only the team in question, but anybody who enjoyed it - well it's just not good enough. Honestly we're not 11 years old any more, so the playground insults are quite unnecessary.

I look forward to the 5th episode. Since it's using a new engine (I think that's correct?) hopefully it will be less buggy. That was probably my biggest gripe with episodes 1-4. There were quite a few times I'd had to quit or revert to an earlier save, just because of some annoying bugs.
  • New engine? Where'd you hear that?
  • They said it. It's the UNITY engine.

Bt
  • I think what they meant was that graham got a new morley motorcycle and is going to become the new leader of the polecats... Or did I just make that up?
  • I thought they'd been using UNITY all along. Shows what I know.
  • We've been using the Torque Engine so far, and yeah, we'll be switching to Unity for Episode 5 (as well as Cognition).
  • How will that work with the way you've been doing the episodes thus far? (all in the same download) will episodes 1-4 be a separate download and installation from 5? (and 6? is there a 6?)
  • User Avatar Image
    Cez
    MusicallyInspired;565505 said:
    How will that work with the way you've been doing the episodes thus far? (all in the same download) will episodes 1-4 be a separate download and installation from 5? (and 6? is there a 6?)
    5th is the final episode, and yes, it will be a standalone download. Episodes 1-4 will stay in the current build, and then we'll have 5 on its own.

We are actually moving in that direction with our games --having them in standalone builds. And they are going to be designed to be such. Trying to patch everything together has proven a big headache, so we need to figure out a good infrastructure that can really support that system before we go back to it again.
Add Comment