User Avatar Image

Explain Your Avatar (Nothing To Do With James Cameron)

posted by Davies on - last edited - Viewed by 3.5K users
Why did you choose the avatar you use for this forum? Is there a reason that's close to your heart? Or perhaps there's a more frivolous reason? Or perchance a sinister motivation, with an eye to world domination?

Come one, come all and share...

I think that my avatar is reasonably self explanatory, so I'll leave this question to the rest of you fellow forumites...

EDIT: Seeming as people frequently change their avatar, it may be prudent to post an image of the avatar to which your referring within your post (lest a situation occur where you've stated that you use the avatar you do due to fancying that person, only for late comers to glance over and see an image of a baby or worse still; Sarah Palin)!
209 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • JedExodus;566393 said:
    That bastard pony is a better musician than I and he doesn't even have any fingers!
    Is this a problem?
  • I'll let you know after my hoof transplant.
  • JedExodus;566414 said:
    I'll let you know after my hoof transplant.
    Maybe you'll learn how Strong Bad types with boxing gloves on while you're at it.
    (Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother)
  • StrongBrush1;566475 said:
    Maybe you'll learn how Strong Bad types with boxing gloves on while you're at it.
    Or...how I can play piano with oven mitts!

I'm not joking. It's actually possible. Let's just say it was the product of an extremely boring day.
  • Alcoremortis;566566 said:
    Or...how I can play piano with oven mitts!

I'm not joking. It's actually possible. Let's just say it was the product of an extremely boring day.
    I can't even play Mario Kart with gloves on!
  • JedExodus;566574 said:
    I can't even play Mario Kart with gloves on!
    I can't even play Mario Kart without gloves on! Then again...I don't own it.

Well, the oven mitt thing started because I wanted to be able to place piano with regular gloves on so that when the house was really cold it would be less uncomfortable to practice. This escalated to oven mitts when I wanted to make the glove playing look easy by comparison...and be able to cook in between pieces with less of a hassle...and have a party trick.
  • Alcoremortis;566580 said:
    I can't even play Mario Kart without gloves on! Then again...I don't own it.

Well, the oven mitt thing started because I wanted to be able to place piano with regular gloves on so that when the house was really cold it would be less uncomfortable to practice. This escalated to oven mitts when I wanted to make the glove playing look easy by comparison...and be able to cook in between pieces with less of a hassle...and have a party trick.
    How do you do chords and guff with a big dopey oven mitt on though? All ye have is the thumb and one big mushy lump on each hand.
  • JedExodus;566582 said:
    How do you do chords and guff with a big dopey oven mitt on though? All ye have is the thumb and one big mushy lump on each hand.
    Your fingers can still move inside the oven mitt, though. If you have a piano that only requires a light touch to get a sound, you don't even have to move your fingers very far to get sound. The main problem is large chords, like octaves, but I have really tiny hands anyways, so I generally don't try to play pieces that have too many big chords in them in the first place. Works great for jazz, though. Even if you miss a note, most of the time it's not entirely noticeable.

Sadly, I only have one oven mitt left now, as the other one suffered an unhappy fate that I think had to do with a burner being left on, so I haven't really had the opportunity to practice this much lately. I guess I know what I'll be asking for Christmas now! You've made me want to get back to my silly piano stunts.
  • Alcoremortis;566583 said:
    Your fingers can still move inside the oven mitt, though. If you have a piano that only requires a light touch to get a sound, you don't even have to move your fingers very far to get sound. The main problem is large chords, like octaves, but I have really tiny hands anyways, so I generally don't try to play pieces that have too many big chords in them in the first place. Works great for jazz, though. Even if you miss a note, most of the time it's not entirely noticeable.

Sadly, I only have one oven mitt left now, as the other one suffered an unhappy fate that I think had to do with a burner being left on, so I haven't really had the opportunity to practice this much lately. I guess I know what I'll be asking for Christmas now! You've made me want to get back to my silly piano stunts.
    Always happy to help!
Add Comment