Telltale Autumn Sale

General Bitching

edited October 2012 in General Chat
I looked and didn't see a thread like this, so I'm making one. Hopefully if the mods don't shut it down, you can all join me in this Anger Management class. Any stuff that pisses you off and you need to bitch about, whack it here.

-x-

So my Dad has an incredibly annoying habit of buying Christmas presents himself and then letting other people give them to him. He reasons that this means he definitely gets things that he wants, and other people don't have to worry about what to get him.

You can probably see where this is going.

Yep, I discovered today that the two main presents I got him, a pair of DVDs, are ones he's already bought for himself. I am so angry at the man I could just scream. And did (thankfully the house was empty or my mother would have had serious words at me).

All I've got left to give him are a few 'jokey' presents. And a mug. Woo. Almost tempted to keep them all for myself and just get him some coal, the git.
«13

Comments

  • edited December 2011
    I'm pissed I can't play the Law and Order game and yet other jerks are playing it!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm angry that I have nothing to be angry about!
  • edited December 2011
    So my Dad has an incredibly annoying habit of buying Christmas presents himself and then letting other people give them to him. He reasons that this means he definitely gets things that he wants, and other people don't have to worry about what to get him.

    You can probably see where this is going.

    Yep, I discovered today that the two main presents I got him, a pair of DVDs, are ones he's already bought for himself. I am so angry at the man I could just scream. And did (thankfully the house was empty or my mother would have had serious words at me).

    All I've got left to give him are a few 'jokey' presents. And a mug. Woo. Almost tempted to keep them all for myself and just get him some coal, the git.

    If I were you, I would still give him the movies that he already bought, even though he knows you know he already bought them to gift to himself. In fact, if I were you I would tell everyone else what he has already gifted for himself and instruct them to only get duplicates.

    It's one thing to buy something for yourself because you can't wait (eg. I couldn't wait for Skyward Sword or HP Deathly Hallows Part 2). It's another to buy something on your wish list and have people re-give it to you.
  • edited December 2011
    Screen2Bshot2B2011-08-092Bat2B161041.png
  • edited December 2011
    Okay now, people try not to get the thread locked please.

    I do see the value in a rant thread.
  • edited December 2011
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    If I were you, I would still give him the movies that he already bought, even though he knows you know he already bought them to gift to himself. In fact, if I were you I would tell everyone else what he has already gifted for himself and instruct them to only get duplicates.

    It's one thing to buy something for yourself because you can't wait (eg. I couldn't wait for Skyward Sword or HP Deathly Hallows Part 2). It's another to buy something on your wish list and have people re-give it to you.
    Oh, don't worry. He's still getting them. He's also getting a piece of my mind. :)
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    Okay now, people try not to get the thread locked please.

    I do see the value in a rant thread.
    Thanks. I actually used to post on a completely different forum and there was a General Bitching section which was quite therapeutic. Hence this thread.

    I kinda knew not everyone would take it seriously, so I was gonna let the odd silly comment slide without comment (y'know, 'cause it's coolsome), but Ribs' comment and the picture are both somewhat OTT. A little less silliness would be much appreciated guys, thanks.
  • edited December 2011
    Eh. I do this to my mother.

    She buys the presents, but she has a hard time finding things to get me, since I get my own stuff all the time, and I'm like the opposite of needy.

    Plus I'm normally the one who buys online, so I get it a bit cheaper.
    (Any money I can save her is good!)

    The only thing that annoys me about Christmas is my little bro.

    You see, its his Birthday too, so he gets more presents, but since he's also autistic, he gets like a 2x multiplier on that too! XD

    So I get for Christmas 1 present, that I chose myself, (but didn't have to pay for! :D), while my little brother gets 10. 1 being a 3DS.
    (3 being 3DS games, and the rest being Blu-Rays!)

    And then the cheeky bugger moans about what he DOESN'T have! XD

    (Keeps going on, and on about the Lion King Trilogy, EVERY day, at least 2x a day. It gets pretty irritating, the little brat >:/)

    My older bro is messing around too, so I don't have a present from him either.

    So I spend like £50 on each of them and get nothing...

    GOD! And I'm supposed to be the Middle Brother here!
    (Though lately I feel more like mama...>:/)
  • edited December 2011
    ...If there's anything the internet needs more of,...it's bitching. Isn't that why YouTube was created? Oh yeah, that might be taken down. Nevermind. Carry on.
  • edited December 2011
    ...Wasn't this the point of the Whatever's on Your Mind thread?
  • edited December 2011
    Johro wrote: »
    ...If there's anything the internet needs more of,...it's bitching. Isn't that why YouTube was created? Oh yeah, that might be taken down. Nevermind. Carry on.
    No, it's not bitching that the internet is full of, it's whining, trolling and flaming (especially those compounded with horrible grammar and spelling.)

    That is to say, the legitimacy of any reasonable complaint, however heated it may be, is ruined when it is voiced as though from a nine year old.
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    ...Wasn't this the point of the Whatever's on Your Mind thread?
    Nope. The point of of that thread is to attempt to swallow off-topic conversation that might have been made elsewhere. EDIT: Which makes me raise an eyebrow whenever someone accuses someone else in "Whatever's on Your Mind" of being off topic. That thread has no topic. That's the whole point.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm mad that I'm flying.
  • edited December 2011
    Almost all anime sucks.
  • edited December 2011
    DAISHI wrote: »
    Almost all anime sucks.

    Correct. Almost being the key word. Notable exceptions include Miyazaki and Yu-Gi-Oh!.
  • edited December 2011
    I liked Death Note...and Soul Eater. ^^

    Wait, this is a rant thread... ummm... I dislike the fact that 99% of the anime girls seem really really stupid O.o
  • edited December 2011
    I hate when people call themselves "fans" of something when all they do is bitch about how stupid or crappy they think it is. You are NOT a fan if you DON'T LIKE IT, guys.

    This ESPECIALLY applies to Star Wars "fans" who do nothing but bitch about how George Lucas has supposedly RUINED the franchise forever. If you don't like it, then why are you a FAN of it?
  • edited December 2011
    This may sound like a silly one but I rly am annoyed by this so don't close this thread or tell me off for being "silly". If you still think im taking the piss then just go with
    (y'know, 'cause it's coolsome)
    and ignore it.

    I am pissed my Sam and Max sticker from the freelance police dvd is gone! It was on my old laptop and was a trusty companion to me! And when I got a new laptop the sticker didnt peel well off the laptop :((<---TTG needs better emoticons!).
  • edited December 2011
    I hate when people call themselves "fans" of something when all they do is bitch about how stupid or crappy they think it is. You are NOT a fan if you DON'T LIKE IT, guys.

    This ESPECIALLY applies to Star Wars "fans" who do nothing but bitch about how George Lucas has supposedly RUINED the franchise forever. If you don't like it, then why are you a FAN of it?

    They like the original versions of it, not the prequels or special editions.
  • edited December 2011
    LOL!! I was just coming on here to post a rant, cuz you guys always give great advice!

    My best friend, who I've practically known since we were in diapers, got married a few years ago, lovely woman, and he's really changed for the better overall... the one problem is that he's pretty much completly cut me out of his life... the only times I see him is when he needs something, and at family events (I get invited to his family events cuz they're like family) and that's only when they show up...

    it used to be that we would talk daily, for hours on end, just to talk... we couldn't go a day without chatting and all... heck he called me and told me he had a girlfriend before he told his family, he also called and talked to me while he was choosing the ring... and the night before he actually proposed... but since he got married, nothing...

    Sure he's uneducated, and trying to support a wife and kid off a sears job, but I KNOW he gets time off, yet can't spend it with me. I know he's spending some time with his family, his brother is best friends with his kid, yet the kid wouldn't know me from adam even though I'm sopposed to be an "Uncle"

    and really I can forgive alot... but it's gotten worse, he never answers his cell anymore, and never bothers to call me back... even his wife and family have admitted that it's wrong the way he's treating me. It's not his wife's fault, I KNOW she's not trying to form some sort of wedge because we've talked about it, and she's tried to get him to hang out with friends more and call his friends more, but nothing...

    and now, today was the WORST... his wife has apperently been going in and out of the hospital lately, didn't bother to call me to tell me, didn't think i'd be concerned I guess... and turns out, it's because she's pregnant!! (I found this out a few days ago via his mom) today his wife posted the news on facebook, FACEBOOK!!!! I'm really mad about this... this is something you tell your close family and friends before you let it get posted in facebook!!

    I know I should let it go, I know I shouldn't let this bother me, but I always thought this friendship would last forever, my grandmother was friends with her best friend for 80+ years before she died, and her friend is now basically an extra grandmother for me...

    best yet, it's 2 days before christmas, and I'll be hanging out with him and his family christmas eve...

    has anyone else had a problem like this?
  • edited December 2011
    Ribs wrote: »
    Correct. Almost being the key word. Notable exceptions include Miyazaki and Yu-Gi-Oh!.

    No see exactly, you just pointed out exactly how much it DOES suck.
  • edited December 2011
    They like the original versions of it, not the prequels or special editions.

    Also people might quite like the extended universe.

    I for one, particularily like The Old Republic lore, and my best friend LOVES most of the Star Wars books that were set after the original trilogy.
  • edited December 2011
    Almost all of the Star Wars EU is garbage. The post trilogy books were good for a while. The Thrawn trilogy was very good, the Jedi Academy trilogy was good, the books stayed interesting all the way up through Centerpoint Station.

    But here's the problem: They ran out of stories. The only thing the writers could figure out to do was how to make the books more military and more serious, forgetting all of the spaghetti western elements that made the movies light hearted while also dealing with serious topics. The only way they knew how to deal with Luke's character was to perpetually torture him by making him lose people he loved. Meanwhile, reuse of imperial super weapons and the killing off of beloved characters were cheap ways to make the stories seems like there was threat, but almost all of the authors forgot that just adding bigger and badder doesn't equate to a bigger stake for the reader.

    The post trilogy is almost all garbage but then again so is the stuff they put into games like Force Unleashed.

    Although I'll concede that Shadows of the Empire was an interesting concept.
  • edited December 2011
    LOL!! I was just coming on here to post a rant, cuz you guys always give great advice!

    -SNIPPED TO SAVE SPACE, SEE ORIGINAL POST FOR SITUATION-

    best yet, it's 2 days before christmas, and I'll be hanging out with him and his family christmas eve...

    has anyone else had a problem like this?
    If you're seeing him tomorrow, it might be worth just having a quiet word with him if you can. Just say you miss hanging out with him and, if you can, you'd like to do it again sometime. Try not to put too much pressure on him, just say it'd be nice to catch up and stuff.

    Also, it's definitely worth offering to help out with the baby. I'm sure he'll happily take any help he can get there, and it could be a good way to help the two of you reconnect, so to speak.

    Hope that helps!
  • edited December 2011
    I tried to post in the jurassic park forums but my (enormous) post didn't show up and the forums won't let me repost the same text, that makes me mad.
  • edited December 2011
    I hate people who get offended by "Merry Christmas", but I equally hate people like Bill O'Reilly who try to force people to celebrate one holiday and act like they're being discriminated against. "Happy Holidays" is made to wish people a happy whatever they celebrate, it wasn't made to push secularism the war on Christmas doesn't fucking exist. However people can say "Merry Christmas" as much as they damn well please. How does that offend you? They're not forcing you to celebrate it. The point of this is to be nice and wish good for someone, not to piss people off for no reason. I'm not Jewish, but if someone wished me a "Happy Hanukkah", not only would I not get angry, I would thank them.

    Happy Whatever the Fuck You Celebrate to one and all of dang y'all!
  • edited December 2011
    Its annoying that cos I like wrestling people seem to think I think its real.
  • edited December 2011
    If you're seeing him tomorrow, it might be worth just having a quiet word with him if you can. Just say you miss hanging out with him and, if you can, you'd like to do it again sometime. Try not to put too much pressure on him, just say it'd be nice to catch up and stuff.

    Also, it's definitely worth offering to help out with the baby. I'm sure he'll happily take any help he can get there, and it could be a good way to help the two of you reconnect, so to speak.

    Hope that helps!

    I've had this talk a gazillion times with him... every time he promises to do better, and every time he fails... the problem is, my scedule is pretty flexable, his is not, so I need him to check his scedule and he never does, even though I keep reminding him...

    also the helping with the baby thing won't work because they both have LARGE families, so the families get priority time with the babies while me and my mom (who is like a 2nd mother to my friend) get left in the dust...
  • edited December 2011
    Well, when you get married and have a kid, that does kind of limit spending hours at a time with other friends. I think you're just going to have to downgrade him to occasional buddy and find someone else. Or get married and have a kid to see what it's like.
  • edited December 2011
    WarpSpeed wrote: »
    Well, when you get married and have a kid, that does kind of limit spending hours at a time with other friends. I think you're just going to have to downgrade him to occasional buddy and find someone else. Or get married and have a kid to see what it's like.

    I know that it's a time sink... but I know a lot of people who manage to have families and also balance their friends into the mix... his wife manages to hang out with her friends, and she works part time AND takes care of the kid, all I ask is, say, doing lunch with him once a month, or maybe getting invited over to play video games with him some evening... I know we'll never hang like we used to, but I definately don't like being ignored...

    Heck, I'm a full time college student, studying in a medical field... and I would manage to find the time to hang out with him if he would only be receptive to it...
  • edited December 2011
    Dumpling, quick statistic. Men, more than women, tend to isolate and focus on their partner after marriage. Men's psychological makeup is geared toward individual tasks versus multitasking. Look at any men's magazine versus women's magazine to realize that. This is also why men deal worse with spouse death, since they lose social supports (friends) that women maintain.

    You're asking for something that is beyond most men, speaking strictly from the perspective of psychology and statistics.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know about that. My dad is pretty damn social, far more so than me. Though then again, whenever he meets up with friends, it's generally to do something specific, not just "hang out".

    Dumpling, I'd suggest that maybe you should get in touch with your friend's wife and schedule an activity with the whole family. That way, he can't ignore you and you can hang out within the activity. Like invite them all out to lunch or something.
  • edited December 2011
    I dunno, from what I've read that's more of a societal pressure more than a psychological occurrence. There really needs to be a proper men's rights movement so we can have proper equality.
  • edited December 2011
    Societal pressure is a part of psychology, you can't separate the two.
  • edited December 2011
    I have the feeling I am the only one who can relate to other people when it comes to entertainment, because, apparently, as we grow up we have to think the same way as other adults. It's not cool to like Justin Bieber (sidenote, I do have to say, he's not THAT good, but he's also not the annoying little cunt people make him out to be), arrow in the knee jokes are not funny anymore, the High School Musical series is gay and you're gay for liking it, Hanna Montana is for five year old girls, cartoons today SUCK BALLS, all that other bullshit.

    Seriously, I had enough of it all. I don't give a shit about the fact that you think Transformers is a shit movie. I like the series. It's not near my personal top ten list, but I enjoy the films for what they are. They're not meant to intellectually stimulate you, they're only there for the explosions and the CGI robots beating each others to pulp. So what if they're making potty jokes or that the movie is all about Megan Fox' ass. I don't give a shit if you don't like it. Stop trying to convince ME it's a shit movie.

    It's like nobody in this world wants to be entertained, it's like people forgot that we as little shits loved the stuff that are actually pretty fucking stupid. I mean, MC Hammer? What the fuck is that? And seriously, we all still nostalgia on MC Hammer yet we tell modern pop music to suck it because the lyrics are too simple? Let me give you some examples.
    Earth angel, earth angel
    Will you be mine
    My darling dear
    Love you all the time
    I'm just a fool
    A fool in love with you
    That comes from the song Earth Angel, by the Penguins.
    Imagine me and you, I do
    I think about you day and night, it's only right
    To think about the girl you love and hold her tight
    So happy together

    If I should call you up, invest a dime
    And you say you belong to me and ease my mind
    Imagine how the world could be, so very fine
    So happy together
    The Turtles, Happy Together.
    Oh yeah, I’ll tell you something,
    I think you’ll understand
    When I’ll say that something
    I want to hold your hand,
    I want to hold your hand,
    I want to hold your hand
    The fucking Beatles, I Want To Hold Your Hand.

    Seriously, get this. Back in the old days, songs were THIS SIMPLE. Especially the fucking Beatles are taken as example of what is good music. Bitch, the lyrics are simple as fuck most of the time. Don't believe me?
    When I was younger, so much younger than today,
    I never needed anybody's help in any way.
    But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured,
    Now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors.

    Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
    And I do appreciate you being round.
    Help me, get my feet back on the ground,
    Won't you please, please help me.
    Help!
    There's nothing you can do that can't be done.
    Nothing you can sing that can't be sung.
    Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game
    It's easy.
    There's nothing you can make that can't be made.
    No one you can save that can't be saved.
    Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be you
    in time - It's easy.

    All you need is love, all you need is love,
    All you need is love, love, love is all you need.
    All You Need Is Love.

    How does it differ from:
    You know you love me, I know you care
    Just shout whenever and I'll be there
    You want my love, you want my heart
    And we will never ever ever be apart

    Are we an item?
    Girl quit playing
    We're just friends, what are you saying
    Said there's another and look right in my eyes
    My first love broke my heart for the first time,
    and I was like

    Baby baby baby oooh
    Like baby baby baby nooo
    Like baby baby baby oooh
    thought you'd always be mine mine
    Justin Bieber, Baby.

    And don't give me that "but it's Justin Bieber", because fuck that shit, it's not Justin Bieber people apparently have beef with, it's his music, ergo, his songs, ergo, the lyrics, because I sure as hell don't want to start about the music.

    Seriously, I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

    Also, don't get me wrong, I love the abovementioned songs, or at least like them. I just took them as examples.
  • edited December 2011
    tl;dr
  • edited December 2011
    The difference between Bieber and pop artists of the past is that artists from decades ago were being relatively original. They were building a style of music, and were writing these sorts of lyrics for the first time. What Justin Bieber is doing is riding off the back of something already established. In "Baby", he's doing nothing but borrowing. The lines in the verses have all been written before in other songs; what he's doing is effortlessly paraphrasing old, cliched lyrics. And as for the chorus, well, it's perhaps the most lazy, dumbed-down piece of lyrical work ever. He elects to repeat the most over-used word in pop music ad nauseam, and accompany it with nothing 'ooh's and 'oh's. What a genius wordsman this Bieber fellow is.

    This sort of songwriting might have been tolerable about 20 years ago, but in this day and age, it just comes off as unoriginal, lazy, and tailor-made for the ears of the hopelessly stupid.

    And what's worst of all is that we're meant to take this 'artist' seriously. The thing that made the music of MC Hammer and such somewhat likeable was the fact that there was some semblance of humour and tongue-in-cheek attitude. They weren't MEANT to be entirely credible, but that's precisely how Bieber is portrayed, despite his music being of an equal or lower level of intelligence. In fact, yes, it's of a lower level of intelligence, because not only is it garbage, it's unoriginal garbage. It's garbage that has been rehashed, because penning his own garbage would have been too difficult.

    See, this is why people hate Justin Bieber, because he is the very definition of unoriginal. He is a pop star simply going through the motions, doing everything effortlessly and thoughtlessly, yet he's apparently meant to be some sort of pop genius prodigy. He's portrayed through mass music media to be the new big thing; to be infinitely talented, when all he is is a figurehead and a product, perfectly designed to make money for Island and Universal. His music features all of the classic traits cliche elements of pop music which have proven popular over the years, all rolled into one and then served off to the to the idiotic masses, and more accurately, insecure adolescent dimwits. His music is so unbearably trite that you'd think he was trying to be ironic. But no, he's being perfectly serious, since triteness, simplicity and predictability is exactly what the average person wants these days.

    The creation of Justin Bieber, the pop star sensation, is an unmitigated exploitation of the music industry in its current pitiful form. Justin Bieber is the baby-faced figurehead of the leach that is Universal Music. Anyone with half a brain or a critical eye on the music industry knows exactly what a frustrating joke Justin Bieber is, and that's precisely why most people hate him.
  • edited February 2012
    I feel like ranting about all the stupid people on the net who have no idea that proper grammar is a useful skill to learn. All of those people have no idea just how stupid they sound, nor do they care, and it's ticking me off.

    -.-

    What kind of idiot could possibly think that "it's the internet, grammar doesn't matter" should ever be a valid argument to make?!
  • edited February 2012
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    I feel like ranting about all the stupid people on the net who have no idea that proper grammar is a useful skill to learn. All of those people have no idea just how stupid they sound, nor do they care, and it's ticking me off.

    -.-

    What kind of idiot could possibly think that "it's the internet, grammar doesn't matter" should ever be a valid argument to make?!
    The internet brings out the very worst in people. It's the anonymity. They can get away with shit like not spelling stuff properly because there's no consequences. It's not like school where they'll get an F if they misspell everything.

    It should though, because it bugs the hell out of me as well. It's like people not pronouncing letters when they speak. 'fing' instead of 'thing', for example. It's mangling the English language and you should be slapped across the face if you do it. Sadly, you can't do that over the internet - all you can do is correct them, and that gets you labelled as a Grammar Nazi. Bleh.

    Also, thanks for resurrecting my thread. Forgot I made it!
  • edited February 2012
    The now muddied waters of till and 'til bother me. I suppose that now "till" has been accepted, I'll just have to live with it.
  • edited February 2012
    A till is something that you put money in and out of.

    'til is an abbreviated form of the word Until.

    I've never really heard of people getting the two mixed up, but I guess the internet makes fools of us all.
  • edited February 2012
    A till is something that you put money in and out of.

    'til is an abbreviated form of the word Until.

    I've never really heard of people getting the two mixed up, but I guess the internet makes fools of us all.

    Thank you,
    ...but apparently it's both now. Sometimes, I hate this world.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.