User Avatar Image

Questions for the Walking Dead team!

posted by Jake Telltale Alumni on - last edited - Viewed by 39.5K users
Hey guys, I know it's still early days on this project, and we're a ways off from talking about anything concrete, but it seemed like as good a time as any to start an official Q&A thread!

In all honesty there isn't a lot we can talk about yet -- we were going to do press for the game at PAX East last month, but held off when we realized that our answer to almost any conceivable standard press question would be "no comment, yet" -- but I trust you guys to rise above the standard questions, and come up with some Walking Dead stuff we can discuss, so have at it. Ask away!
1.3K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    How soon is "deadly soon"?
  • User Avatar Image
    harrisonpink Telltale Alumni
    Vainamoinen;579482 said:
    How soon is "deadly soon"?
    Sooner than "grievously soon".
  • harrisonpink;579485 said:
    Sooner than "grievously soon".

Though not as soon as "Dead Reckoning Soon." I think...
  • Regarding the visual style of the game, what exactly were your influences here (regarding coloring, for example)? Did you consider going high contrast black and white like in the comics? Did you rule that out, because b&w might be hard to "sell" for a video game? Do you consider an optional black and white mode for the game?

Can't wait to see the game in motion, as the screenshots look sweeeet...
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    Right, a real good discussion about the graphics is still missing. The first "moving pictures" will probably coincide with my completion of the comic compendium (which arrived yesterday ;) ). I might open the inevitable "graphics" thread then, if no one ninjas me. ;)

There already was some discussion about the B&W question with Harrison, though - in this thread. That doesn't mean the question was answered. :D
  • B&W would be GREAT.
  • nomecopies;583497 said:
    B&W would be GREAT.
    Too messy, IMHO.
  • User Avatar Image
    Jake Telltale Alumni
    Laserschwert;583403 said:
    Regarding the visual style of the game, what exactly were your influences here (regarding coloring, for example)? Did you consider going high contrast black and white like in the comics? Did you rule that out, because b&w might be hard to "sell" for a video game? Do you consider an optional black and white mode for the game?

Can't wait to see the game in motion, as the screenshots look sweeeet...
    The style we're using in the Walking Dead game is meant to evoke the comic book (which has been drawn by two different artists over its lifetime) but do so in a way that the 3D depth of the world, and realtime 3D animating characters aren't going to break the style. The game has more volume and texture than the comics do, which as you said are pretty stark high contrast black and white, with a lot of detail in gore, and foliage. We wanted the game to FEEL like the comics, even if it doesnt 1:1 LOOK like the comics. The game has heavy inky lines and high contrast blacks like the book, but instead of the light greytones the comic uses to add volume, we're doing a lot of texture work to evoke handpainted watercolors and marker felt pen coloring. It lets us do the color and volume that the game needs to feel fleshed out and stand on its own, but doesn't betray the handmade feel of the book. There aren't any toon shaders or anything in the game, it's almost all done with painted color channels, detail maps, painted normal maps, and lighting.

We talked about black and white mode, and did some tests, but what we fould was that you end up noticing how different it is from the comic instead of how similar it is. The comics are drawn by hand panel by panel so the artist has very strong composition and lighting control, and can cheat things all over the place to make the image compelling. The game has a lot more full 3D value in its world and lighting, and flattening it out, switching over to one color channel, and screwing with the levels doesn't magically make it match Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard's work, it sort of looks like its own different thing. It doesn't work as well in a 3D space. It looks INTERESTING for sure -- I have some fun screenshots of tests that I might post when the season's over -- but it looks like "a different cool black and white thing" more than it looks like "a page from the walking dead come to life." We found that by changing the style up a bit, adding color and volume, it lands in a sweet spot which a lot of people say "feels" like the Walking Dead even if it doesn't literally look 100% like the comic.
  • What happened to episode 2 of playing dead?
  • User Avatar Image
    Jake Telltale Alumni
    Ja1862;586547 said:
    What happened to episode 2 of playing dead?
    http://www.telltalegames.com/walkingdead :D
This discussion has been closed.