User Avatar Image

Tracking My Game

posted by DAISHI on - last edited - Viewed by 6.6K users
Hold me accountable to finishing at least the background resources ok?

These are the first four sketches centering on the beginning village. They're all edge enhanced and without any line cleanup or color, so if they super rough, it's because this is the first stage of it.

350 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Looks nice. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I don't remember if it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but what kind of game engine will you be using?
  • I'm thinking most likely it will be Wintermute.
  • DAISHI;581671 said:
    I like the direction but the tree is too 'golden'.
    It depends on how important this tree is. Making it a little golden makes it seem more special than just some tree that's either dead or has lost its leaves for the winter. On the other hand, if it were colored "rotten," it would give the scene an entirely different mood. I hope you're conveying to the artist what the player should be perceiving.
  • I've given her specific notes on all the details :) the tree is too golden because this is supposed to be the dead north, winter. The scene should convey cold, but also the tree just feels a little too unnatural for me.

Moving away from the oversaturated look that was a bit too vibrant.

She went to work on the mountains. This is where we're going to face difficulty. The mountains don't look distant. They have to be faded and the way they're shaded, they appear more like rocks just behind the house. Lots of work to be done there, although I'm liking how the foreground is coming along.

Also I think right now we're at 70 backgrounds. I hope that's enough adventure game for everyone.

Ground and post work.

This is the furthest she's gone and I'm seeing some of the fault is definitely mine. I gave her no guidance with the ground textures, so while I think she's done as well as could be expected, I need to relay the groundwork with guidance lines to illustrate the direction of the floor. Otherwise the ground seems too soft. Also, again, I messed up with the grass against the house, something I'll have to correct. I generally like what I'm seeing but a lot further work needs to get done.
  • This was my message to her:

Your painting is making me realize I've got to be more detailed with my ground texturing when penning this. It blends well but is too soft without any sort of guidance through penned lines, so that's on me. Otherwise I think you've got the right direction there. Grass, same situation. I want the areas around where I pen to be darker in tone compared to the surrounding coloring, and for there to be a slightly more solid coloring and gradual transitions between lights and darks, but I take an F on emphasizing that in the penning as well. So you're helping me see where I've got to make changes in my penning an to convey that direction to you. Also, I take another F for not penning grass against the house wall. It looks like a house just landed on the grash and smushed it down. So, I'll have to repen that to emphasize grass along the wall and let you do some magic there. This is probably the longest critique I've had, but I think a lot more of it is on my lack of solid direction for the ground textures, so I'll have to be more purposeful in my sketching for the future.
  • Closing in on the end of this picture.

This was what she sent me at 4

And then at 6

I'm still dissatisfied with the mountains and clouds but the picture is taking a good turn.
  • Formal contract presentation to my artist happening this week.
Add Comment