User Avatar Image

[WD] Doesn't Work in Windows 8 Consumer Preview

posted by SaviorX on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users
Is anyone having issues running this on Windows 8 Consumer Preview? The Steam dialog will pop up, but then nothing else. No process is created for the game.

Tested the same Steam installation on Windows 7 and it worked fine, so this is definitely related to Windows 8.
17 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Windows 8 isn't even in beta state right now. Why do you wonder if something doesn't work?
  • SaviorX;601040 said:
    Is anyone having issues running this on Windows 8 Consumer Preview? The Steam dialog will pop up, but then nothing else. No process is created for the game.

Tested the same Steam installation on Windows 7 and it worked fine, so this is definitely related to Windows 8.

I completed the game on Windows 8 last night, had to run the game in XP SP3 compatibility mode and i had to disable my 360 pad for it to even start.
  • you should have no expectations on Win8no 3rd party apps are officially supported or could be expected to run.
  • wilsonk;601047 said:
    I completed the game on Windows 8 last night, had to run the game in XP SP3 compatibility mode and i had to disable my 360 pad for it to even start.
    Can't believe this worked. Especially unplugging the Xbox controller. Thanks:)
  • der_ketzer;601043 said:
    Windows 8 isn't even in beta state right now. Why do you wonder if something doesn't work?
    Consumer Preview = Beta :)
    wilsonk;601047 said:
    Interesting set of steps. Thanks a lot for the help!
  • SaviorX;601946 said:
    Consumer Preview = Beta :)
    It's not a "beta" it's a preview.
  • wilsonk;601047 said:
    I could kiss you. I might kiss you, you beautiful bastard.

Nothing I tried before this worked, and I was on the verge of giving up until a later date.
  • bit_crusherrr;602123 said:
    It's not a "beta" it's a preview.
    No, trust me, it is. I work for Microsoft as a Windows developer. :)

Developer Preview = Alpha
    Consumer Preview = Beta
  • You are amazing my man. After searching for forever, I finally got it to work!

Disconnecting the Xbox 360 gamepad from USB and setting compatibility mode to XP SP3 worked like a charm. I could just kiss you!

The following is for anyone searching google to be able to find this thread easier!
    tales of the monkey island doesn't open
    tales of the monkey island doesn't launch
    tales of the monkey island doesn't launch 64bit windows 8

Paying it forward for others! :D :D :D Signed up to this forum just to thank you!
  • I just went from the Dev Preview to the Release Preview, build 8400 I just got it to work by unplugging the 360 controller.

I did not need to set it to run for XP.

Regards
This discussion has been closed.