User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter/Crowdfunding thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited by Jennifer - Viewed by 33.3K users
Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!
1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, it seems Bill Tiller is now jumping on board and turning to Kickstarter to get a project off the ground. Whatever project he pitches, I really hope that it will be successfully funded. The guy's had a hard run; he deserves some good fortune after his years of struggle in the industry.
  • Vainamoinen;597417 said:
    ...Mass Effect-style "decisions" ...
    At least call them "Fallout-style decisions". That way they would actually mean something.

And I agree, the SRR project looks very good, though they've been extremely vague about what the game is really going to be like beyond some very high-level design concepts. Still, I love Shadowrun enough that I put in a fair bit of cash.
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    I might call them "KotoR-style" decisions. MAYBE. ;)

I'm new to the crowdfunding nonsense, so I put in a meager 15$ for starters. We'll see in a year or so if the decision was right.
  • Just backed an interesting looking card game, nice rewards on every pledge level
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/500894669/serpents-tongue-a-new-magick-experience

For $45 you get
    2 Hardbound Spell Codex’s
    140 4×6 Incantation Cards, Specializations & Artifacts
    PLUS 4 Inscription Packs (40 Adept-Level Incantations)
    2 Focus Gems
    60 Heavy weight clay Essence, Resonance & Will-Power Chips
    2 4-sided dice
    2 Ready/Interrupt Stones
    2 Hourglasses (15 & 30 Seconds)
    World & Rule Book
    ‘Out of Eden’ Adventure Campaign
    Quick Start Tutorial & Solo Challenge
    10 Encounter Cards (Random Challenge Deck)
    "The Gentleman Magi - a modern guide to magical etiquette" Insert.
  • Shenmue 3 needs a kickstarter! Id pay into it if there was one.
  • Hayden;597435 said:
    Well, it seems Bill Tiller is now jumping on board and turning to Kickstarter to get a project off the ground. Whatever project he pitches, I really hope that it will be successfully funded. The guy's had a hard run; he deserves some good fortune after his years of struggle in the industry.
    I doubt he would get enough money to do something he hasn't done before at any decent quality. Maybe if he could reuse assets from VPS or that Weird Pirate game he could pull off a game for 200k or so?
    coolsome;601208 said:
    Shenmue 3 needs a kickstarter! Id pay into it if there was one.
    Sega would have more luck kickstarting a Sonic sex simulator.
  • baron_calamity;601299 said:

Sega would have more luck kickstarting a Sonic sex simulator.
    Can't tell if thats anti Shenmue or pro Furry.
  • Thought it might be interesting to list the projects I've backed aside from the Double Fine one (seriously, did anyone here NOT back that?). Here's the list, sans amounts I've pledged (that'd be a little TMI, IMHO, LOL):

Boot Hill Heroes
    Echoes of Eternia
    Erythia: Shattered Dreams
    Grim Dawn
    Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards: Reloaded
    Shadowrun Returns
    Unemployment Quest

...I also backed the sadly unsuccessful Feeble's Fables.

Lot of RPGs there, I notice. I might actually have to admit that it could possibly be my favourite genre. Eep!
  • Darth Marsden;601523 said:
    Lot of RPGs there, I notice. I might actually have to admit that it could possibly be my favourite genre. Eep!
    You backed Echoes of Eternia, which blatantly steals RPG Maker assets, but NOT Wasteland 2, which has the ultimate in RPG design dream teams? For SHAME.
  • Rather Dashing;601533 said:
    You backed Echoes of Eternia, which blatantly steals RPG Maker assets, but NOT Wasteland 2, which has the ultimate in RPG design dream teams? For SHAME.
    I don't like that style of RPG. *shrugs* Sue me.

Besides, it's not like my $15 would have made much difference. For that IS all it would have been.
Add Comment