User Avatar Image

Where did original Doc go? And where is the new Marty?

posted by shockme17 on - last edited - Viewed by 7.3K users
While I love playing these games, I'm a bit confused as to what happened to the original Doc, and why aren't their alternate Marty's? or why didn't Marty disappear?

So confused.. is this just a bad continuity issue that has just been skipped over to make more games?

At the end of Episode 4.. do the "new" old doc and edna just end up disappearing since Marty changed the timeline and they never got together?
44 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Teddybear4knives;508931 said:
    When Biff came back to 2015, he took the body of his "rich self from 2015" and kept his memories, but since his rich self had been shot in the chest in 1990, he dies (took the body of a dead man).

I hate to break it to you but Biff Erased from existence in 2015..it shows it..
    I saw that on the dvd deleted scenes. I wish they had kept that in the film.

I always thought in the end of ep 2 the original doc turns into citizen brown, but then shouldn't it be the same with marty? But then we'd have no story because there would be no one to fix the past.
  • techie775;508932 said:
    I saw that on the dvd deleted scenes. I wish they had kept that in the film.
    Well, apparently it confused test audiences.:confused:
  • Original Doc doesn't really turn into Citizen Brown, any more than Biff turns into Rich Biff, they just meet that persons same demise. Biff simply dies in 2015 not explicitly of a bullet wound, but of just not existing, however he may have felt some kind of phantom bullet in his chest who knows. But Doc being much older would have met the likely fate of Citizen Brown which was a. die naturally but earlier or b. get bumped off and die much much earlier. Either way technically Marty would have been greeted with two 10-20 year old decomposing corpses of a man and dog as soon as he passed the no return point, but thats a little too dark for back to the future and way too many maggots for TellTale to animate.
  • Shadowknight1;509168 said:
    Well, apparently it confused test audiences.:confused:
    And having biff moaning and groaning when he got out of the time machine in 2015 didn't? I never understood why he was doing that until I heard what what was originally planned to happen.
  • I originally thought he winded himself with his cane until I saw that deleted scene. I thought he was just over acting a bit lol :D
  • I seem to remember Robert Zemeckis said in an interview that one of his only regrets about doing BTTF II and III back to back was that since he was busy working on III, he didn't get to have as much input on the editing of II as he would have liked. I wonder if he would have left the scene of Biff disappearing in if he'd had more input.
  • ShadowX81;507250 said:
    There is no alternate Marty. I don't get how people can't get this.

The series has stated numerous times that if you go back to the past and change something, therby transforming your world into an alternate one there is no alternate version of you. You are the only version of you, and you have all your memories before you changed things. Otherwise Marty would have had an alternate version of himself waiting for him when he came back to the present in the first movie.
    marty did have an alternate version of him, a different him that grew up with cool and successful parents, then he did the exact same thing as the other marty and went back to 1955 and was replaced by the original marty. It was an alternate version of him so what are you talking about?
  • The way I see it, the whole issue of alternate selves can be explained simply like this-

Situation A: The alternate version of the time traveler makes the same trip back as the original, thus allowing the original to 'replace' him/her and essentially become the same person. This is what happens to Marty in the Lone Pine timeline, and all subsequent timelines based on it.

Situation B: The alternate version of the time traveler DOES NOT make the same trip back as the original (usually because the time machine itself is not invented), and thus is still in the present when the original returns, having not gone anywhere. This is what happens to Marty and Doc in the various alternate timelines. In most cases, its unknown how long the originals can continue to co-exist with their alternates; its only in the case of the Citizen Brown timeline in Ep 3 that the Original Doc fades almost instantly.

There is a third possibility, according to the original script of BTTF1 that if the alternate self does not time travel himself, then he will spontaneously disappear, be pulled through a 'space-time warp', and end up in the past as his original self.
  • sn939;608775 said:
    The way I see it, the whole issue of alternate selves can be explained simply like this-

Situation A: The alternate version of the time traveler makes the same trip back as the original, thus allowing the original to 'replace' him/her and essentially become the same person. This is what happens to Marty in the Lone Pine timeline, and all subsequent timelines based on it.

Situation B: The alternate version of the time traveler DOES NOT make the same trip back as the original (usually because the time machine itself is not invented), and thus is still in the present when the original returns, having not gone anywhere. This is what happens to Marty and Doc in the various alternate timelines. In most cases, its unknown how long the originals can continue to co-exist with their alternates; its only in the case of the Citizen Brown timeline in Ep 3 that the Original Doc fades almost instantly.

There is a third possibility, according to the original script of BTTF1 that if the alternate self does not time travel himself, then he will spontaneously disappear, be pulled through a 'space-time warp', and end up in the past as his original self.
    It really doesn't make sense for 2 of the same person to co-exist in the same timeline at the same age. As of right now in the trilogy and game the only time we see the other self paradox is when someone travels to the future or past OR when one leaves via time travel. Had marty remained in any of the alternate timelines it wouldnt make sense for him to remain there with an other self. And remember the lone pine/eastwood timeline IS an alternate timeline and the only 'other' marty is the one near the end of part one where he returns prior to leaving
  • Michael J Fox is Canadian;608946 said:
    It really doesn't make sense for 2 of the same person to co-exist in the same timeline at the same age. As of right now in the trilogy and game the only time we see the other self paradox is when someone travels to the future or past OR when one leaves via time travel. Had marty remained in any of the alternate timelines it wouldnt make sense for him to remain there with an other self. And remember the lone pine/eastwood timeline IS an alternate timeline and the only 'other' marty is the one near the end of part one where he returns prior to leaving
    It does make sense if the alternate self didn't time travel.

And they wouldn't be EXACTLY the same age.

In BTTF2, the Marty of the Hell Valley timeline would have been at school in Switzerland. He likely wouldn't even have KNOWN Doc, let alone time traveled.

'Our' Marty (the Twin Pines/Lone Pine Marty) is actually over a week older than Hell Valley Marty owing to his time travels.

And 'our' Marty spent a few hours at least co-existing with his alternate self.

The movie DOESN'T answer the question of when, if ever, would 'our' Marty start to fade from existence since the alternate Marty hadn't time traveled.

Of course, going by the original explanation intended by the Bobs, the alternate Marty would simply have disappeared from his boarding school on the morning of October 26th 1985, pulled through a 'space-time warp' and been deposited as 'our' Marty in 1955. Then again the original script involved the time machine being a refrigerator, so one wonders how much one can use from there to interpret the actual trilogy...
Add Comment