63 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Right. Honestly, its awkwardness is what makes it great. It's awkward and geeky and I love it.
  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator
    If they would have licensed Staying Alive for the dancing minigame, they definitely would have had to have Guybrush as an unlockable character. :p
  • jennifer;597756 said:
    if they would have licensed staying alive for the dancing minigame, they definitely would have had to have guybrush as an unlockable character. :p
    dlc?
  • St_Eddie;597741 said:
    Do you really think that the dancing section is supposed to be a parody?! It's meant to be a fun, "cool" and "hip" experience. It fails.

The very fact that people are laughing their asses off at the game shows just how much it fails to achieve its own goals. Gamers are laughing at the game, not with it; there's a difference!

THIS IS SERIOUS YOU GUYS. Lobot is an awesome hip DJ!

...I just don't get how people are saying this is meant to be taken seriously. The freezing chamber floor rises up like some stereotypical overly showy 90s musical number. The chamber looks like the cheesiest dance floor you can come up with. The Lobot headphones joke is used. The carbonite smoke is used for dance floor smoke effects. There is a fucking Death Star disco ball in the background. The songs use the "Yankovic" model of song parodies. One of the songs is a fucking version of the YMCA song talking about how great it is to be conscripted into the Imperial military.

Now of COURSE they put a dancing minigame in because they could. Because the Kinect has somewhat limited functionality and the best-selling games and the most "successful" games in terms of implementation have been dancing games. But the way they go about it is entirely tongue-in-cheek and I can't see how you can take all these things together and still think that you're not "supposed" to laugh at it.
    Chyron8472;597744 said:
    The dance-off is the only activity in the game that could overtly be considered a parody (from what I've seen of the other activities.) As such the entire game is not unilaterally comedic-based.
    Got it. Comedy cannot exist adjacent to non-comedy. It's like antimatter.
    GL has made bad SW stuff before. There's no reason to assume that this dance-off is not a continuation of the creation of said bad material that itself just turned out somehow to be amusingly campy instead of mind-numbingly awful.
    George Lucas didn't "make" this any more than he "made" KOTOR, TIE Fighter, the Robot Chicken special, or the EU books and comics. He was apparently "move involved" in The Force Unleashed, but other than that the games and other EU material seems to be just stuff he signs off on to get a check.
  • Has anybody mentioned the awesome Star Wars gangsta rap from the early days of the interwebz?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij4w7ChpuaM
  • Rather Dashing;597759 said:
    Got it. Comedy cannot exist adjacent to non-comedy. It's like antimatter.
    All I'm saying is that GL's track record with bad SW material speaks for itself enough for me to assume that he may have had some part in the camp. Heck, when the idea of this game was first pitched, it is entirely possible that GL could have had the initial idea of a dance-off.
    George Lucas didn't "make" this any more than he "made" KOTOR, TIE Fighter, the Robot Chicken special, or the EU books and comics. He was apparently "move involved" in The Force Unleashed, but other than that the games and other EU material seems to be just stuff he signs off on to get a check.
    According to Spielberg, he didn't directly "make" Indy 4 either, but he still put his fingers in that pie often enough to get interdimensional aliens involved.

GL has made bad stuff before so it is not beyond reason to assume the camp-factor may have been in part his idea; and because said "bad stuff" has previously come off more as terrible rather than amusing, it is conceivable it is more likely amusing in a way that, for GL's part, is miraculously successful rather than unfortunately fail.

Robot Chicken (and Seth Green) has had success at intentionally campy/silly humor prior to this. Star Wars has not. (those cosplay dance-off events don't count.)

EDIT: I suppose what I'm really trying to come around to saying in the end is this:
    St_Eddie;597710 said:
    fuck George Lucas.
  • I'm sorry, but no matter what anybody thinks of George Lucas or the developers of this game, I really can't understand how you could possibly think this was meant to be taken seriously. It's SUPPOSED to be ridiculous and cheesy and hilarious. Everything about it, from the animation to the lyrics, screams that it's meant to be a silly joke.

Moreover, I don't get it when people say that silliness like this tarnishes the franchise. Have I been watching (and loving) the wrong movies all this time? When has Star Wars NOT been silly and cheesy? The very first line of dialogue is spoken by a robot with a British accent to his friend, the trash can with wheels! It has a trash compactor monster! The title literally flies through space! One of the main characters is a wookie! Laser swords! The Force! It's ALL silly! Star Wars was never intended to be more than a fun, old-fashioned, grin-worthy space opera. It's only the fans, with their nostalgia-tinted glasses, that have given it more weight than it should have had. I think Star Wars is great, but it's great in the same way that Flash Gordon and Indiana Jones and Zorro are great. It's popcorn entertainment made well. People miss the point when they treat it like the Gospel of St. George.
  • St_Eddie;597664 said:
    Have fun dancing like a tit to the image of the Emperor getting jiggy with it!
    No, I will NOT! :mad: Tsk! This whole Star Wars thing used to be just weird. What happened?!
  • St_Eddie;597710 said:
    It's a fucking sham that Lucas takes all of the credit for Star Wars when he's a talentless hack, whose only skill lies in marketing. He can not write above the general level of a 13 year old, he can not direct with any more competence than your average director for an episode of Home and Away and he cares not for telling a good yarn; he cares only for money.

Seeming as it is now Lucas who soley calls the shots when it comes to Star Wars, is the reason why I say fuck Star Wars. Perhaps a more accurate statement would be; fuck George Lucas.
    That is incorrect. Lucas is a special effects guy. That's why the movies always look pretty. THAT is his only skill.

HOWEVER, I do agree that he is not a writer or a director. He is neither. There's a reason Empire Strikes Back is the best of the bunch. He didn't direct.

However again, I diagree that Star Wars in general is crap. While there were some stumbles at first, the Clone Wars series is some of the best storytelling I've seen on a show on Cartoon Network in a long time. I've heard positive things about The Old Republic. Unfortunately, it's like the Force. Where there's a light side, there's a dark side. Where there are good things about Star Wars, there are crap things about Star Wars. Let's just file Kinect Star Wars in the same cabinet as Wicket, Jar Jar Binks, every "romance" scene in the prequel trilogies, and all the Expanded Universe novels set after The Hand of Thrawn duology, and forget they ever existed.

Also, if they had gone with the original ending that the interview you quoted mentioned, there would have been a bigger backlash against it than the backlash against Bioware over Mass Effect.
  • I'm holding a grudge against LucasArts anyway. They should NEVER have cancelled that Sam & Max sequel!!! :mad: (although come to think of it, if they hadn't, Telltale probably wouldn't exist... :()
Add Comment