Should this game be cancelled?

edited June 2012 in Discuss
Be honest, fan groups and their groupies. Should KQ stay dead unless a fan group gets it? Should TT's game be cancelled?
«1

Comments

  • edited May 2012
    No to fan groups getting the game.... no more black cloak conspiracies, thank you.

    No to cancelling... Having another KQ to play should be fun or at least entertaining (if it turns out to be more like a movie than a game)... Even if it pales to the originals...

    I don't get the 'stay dead' mentality. It shouldn't matter what comes out to those crowd, because it should still be considered 'dead' to them if the new one doesn't turn out the way they want it... they still have the old ones to play.
  • edited May 2012
    Jesus, dude, really? I love you man, but you're a serious reactionary.


    Bt
  • edited May 2012
    Jesus, dude, really? I love you man, but you're a serious reactionary.


    Bt

    Yeah I should've thought before making the thread. Got caught up and angry.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2012
    Yeah I should've thought before making the thread. Got caught up and angry.

    I can close it if you like. I have no problem leaving it open though.
  • edited May 2012
    Since we really know nothing about the game its too early for anyone to say the game is going to suck..

    fan games are great but I am really looking forward to a professional official game.
  • edited May 2012
    This has nothing to do with fangame creators and their "groupies" and I resent your constant insinuations in the matter.
  • edited May 2012
    I can't think of any reason to suggest something be cancelled before anything is even known about it. I'd even rather see a noble failure than endless Internet speculation on what never was.

    And if there's one thing Telltale has demonstrated consistently, it's that they work really hard to make sure their games "get" the licensed properties they work with. King's Quest may be a less natural fit than Monkey Island, but I'm sure all the stuff we're debating here is also being considered by the Telltale team.
  • edited May 2012
    Well, I hope so - but honestly, my faith is wavering. That is all.


    Bt
  • edited May 2012
    It's not a matter of faith, it's a matter of evidence. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But we've seen no character designs, no plot ideas, NOTHING of substance. I'm willing to reserve judgment until we have something to really base an opinion on.

    I'm not a huge King's Quest fan, though I've played I-VII (and visited Serenia in Roberta's earlier "The Wizard and the Princess"), so I'm just looking for something to make me excited about returning to that universe.
  • edited May 2012
    Hahahaha....Notice that no members of the fan groups in question have actually voted in this silly poll. Just sayin'.
  • edited May 2012
    Is it just me, or basically the two 'no' choices mean essentially the same thing... Either way 'you are open to it', and either way it will be an 'official continuation'....
  • edited May 2012
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    Is it just me, or basically the two 'no' choices mean essentially the same thing... Either way 'you are open to it', and either way it will be an 'official continuation'....

    The first "No" option is if you don't want this game in particular--TT's KQ--to be cancelled. Second no is if you're open to the series continuing in general, even if it's not a fan made continuation. One is specific the other is more generalized.
  • edited May 2012
    Lambonius wrote: »
    Hahahaha....Notice that no members of the fan groups in question have actually voted in this silly poll. Just sayin'.

    Because most of you guys would be giving up your agenda by voting.
  • edited May 2012
    Dude, there's no agenda. Really. We're not some secret cabal here.


    Bt
  • edited May 2012
    Dude--what the fuck are you doing mentioning the cabal?!
  • edited May 2012
    There is no cabal, Lambonius.

    No. Cabal.


    Bt
  • edited May 2012
    There is no cabal, Lambonius.

    No. Cabal.


    Bt


    Right.

    And also, just so we're clear: Graham's golden goose lays silver eggs.
  • edited May 2012
    Agenda.

    Whatever, Anakin. Enough of your baseless accusations, please.
  • edited May 2012
    Agenda.

    Whatever, Anakin. Enough of your baseless accusations, please.

    Baseless, but accurate. You know it, and I know it. You guys are hoping and praying this game fails, and you won't answer if you want it to be cancelled because you know if you told the truth, you'd lose your credibility, acting as just "concerned" fans.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2012
    Anakin, quit the personal slanging. Other forum members are capable of speaking for themselves.
  • edited May 2012
    Baseless, but accurate. You know it, and I know it. You guys are hoping and praying this game fails, and you won't answer if you want it to be cancelled because you know if you told the truth, you'd lose your credibility, acting as just "concerned" fans.

    Dude, stop. You are bordering on lunacy and hilarity. I know you're not that guy.


    Bt
  • edited May 2012
    Dude, stop. You are bordering on lunacy and hilarity. I know you're not that guy.


    Bt

    Now I know how Cesar must have felt!
  • edited May 2012
    There is no cabal, Lambonius.

    No. Cabal.


    Bt
    Crap. And I was so looking forward to joining...
  • edited May 2012
    Baseless, but accurate. You know it, and I know it. You guys are hoping and praying this game fails, and you won't answer if you want it to be cancelled because you know if you told the truth, you'd lose your credibility, acting as just "concerned" fans.

    Equally well I can say that you cross-dress. It IS baseless, but how would you proove that it isn't accurate?
  • edited May 2012
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    Crap. And I was so looking forward to joining...

    Interested, you say? Well, sorry, there's no Cabal. Don't, you know, contact me privately to talk about the non-existent Cabal.


    Bt
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2012
    DrSlash wrote: »
    Equally well I can say that you cross-dress. It IS baseless, but how would you proove that it isn't accurate?

    Hey, benefit of the doubt. It's damn difficult to find a nice pair of heels in men's sizes. :p
  • edited May 2012
    Nah.

    I don't know anything about the game yet, so it's obviously too early to pass judgment.
  • edited May 2012
    Never said there was any "Cabal", just I feel that fan game makers all have this general sense of solidarity against this game. Not a conspiracy or a cabal, just a general shared sentiment amongst a segment of the fanbase. Yes there were others who didn't like the idea of this game when it was announced, but the most vehement, the loudest people against this game were and have been KQ fan game makers or their fans. The poll is simple enough, so why not take part in it?
  • edited May 2012
    If they did cancel it I wonder how many people prematurely complaining about the game, would switch to the opportunity to complain about the game being canceled.
  • edited May 2012
    I would complain! I'm not calling for the game to be cancelled by any stretch of the imagination. I would just like some actual information about the game!


    Bt
  • edited May 2012
    Me too Blackthorne519 ... Me too... Of all the games announced a while back.. its the one I was looking forward to most... I AM a bit sad that its going to be the last one made on the list.. but that's the way it is I guess. You never know maybe they will show us some concept art designs or something in the near future.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2012
    I'm actually glad it's the last one coming out, since it's the one that has the most riding on it for Telltale. It gives them extra time to make it just-right, and to brainstorm and storyboard the puzzles in the game with any Sierra veterans they have brought in (as was done with Ron Gilbert in the Tales of Monkey Island brainstorming sessions).

    It will give them the extra time to get it at just the right level to please most Sierra fans, yet still with enough modern adventure game sensibilities to bring in the new fans too.

    I think The Walking Dead is a good indicator that Telltale's heading in a good direction for this. It has the super-easy tell you what to do story system of Back to the Future and a hotspot indicator, but it's all optional and best of all, customizable in the options menu.
  • edited May 2012
    I actually think that The Walking Dead probably had more riding on it... Kings Quest may have a lot of dedicated fans.. but I would bet TWD has more.. mainly from being a current popular franchise... I also do not think KQ will make nearly as much money for TTG as the TWD.. I understand what you are saying though. Its good for KQ fans because any improvements to the way they make games they learn can be used to make a better KQ game.
  • edited May 2012
    And I have no doubt Telltale learns from its past efforts -- while many feel Jurassic Park was a misstep, adding support for Quick Time Events to the Telltale Engine is paying off in The Walking Dead.

    I'm cautiously optimistic about King's Quest, primarily because I've yet to see Telltale mishandle a license so badly that fans of the property feel left out. In fact, for me personally the influence has often run the other way -- being introduced to Bone, Homestar Runner, Grickle, Back to the Future and The Walking Dead via the games led me to seek out the original comics, cartoons and movies, and I've never felt like I was misled or disappointed. Telltale has created a new fan (me!) by treating these licenses with care and respect.

    So I'm sure the team is working hard to understand what makes King's Quest what it is, and they won't be lazy and just shoehorn it into an inappropriate design. That doesn't mean it may not turn out badly -- the official KQ games vary in quality, after all -- but I expect it will feel like it fits into Roberta Williams' universe.

    (BTW, has anyone here played Telltale's "Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People" episode 5, 8-Bit is Enough? There's a fantasy section that parodies King's Quest, complete with AGI-style backgrounds and sprites. Maybe that little homage will set a few minds slightly more at ease!)
  • edited May 2012
    Homestar Runner, the Brother's Chaps themselves, released an homage to KQ long before the Tell Tale game. It's called Peasent's Quest. Throw baby.


    Bt
  • edited May 2012
    Ah, that makes complete sense! At any rate, the TTE can clearly handle old-fashioned KQ if that's what the fans want. :)
  • edited May 2012
    BTW, has anyone here played Telltale's "Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People" episode 5, 8-Bit is Enough? There's a fantasy section that parodies King's Quest, complete with AGI-style backgrounds and sprites. Maybe that little homage will set a few minds slightly more at ease!)

    Rather Dashing, Trogdor, and that whole sequence are taken directly out of Peasant's Quest. Pretty much... It's also quite a bit more silly than King's Quest, a complete parody...

    I'm also not that big a fan of Strong Bad games... Found them boring...
  • edited May 2012
    I really liked the Strong Bad games.
  • edited May 2012
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    Rather Dashing
    Yes?
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2012
    I really liked the Strong Bad games.
    I did too. They really captured the look and feel of Homestar Runner, but I you have to be a fan of their style of humor (which is even more off-the-wall than Sam & Max) to like it.

    I really liked how they added replay-ability to the game not just in the minigames and collectables, but in the fact that you could talk to characters and get new responses after the game ended (plus the "DVD bonus features" extras that you got after you completed the story of Dangeresque 3 were truly inspired :))

    I definitely wouldn't mind if they went back to the after-game exploring feature for King's Quest. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.