User Avatar Image

Games That Didn't Deserve To Be Forgotten

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 4.5K users
I'll start off with a few- you don't have to post pictures or links-

The Cliffhanger - Edward Randy

image

Dark Savior

image

Eternal Darkness - Sanity's Requiem

image

Fragile Dreams - Farewell, Ruins of the Moon

image

God Hand

image

Nightshade

image

Starfox Adventures

image

Metal Wolf Chaos

image

The Guardian Legend

image

Shenmue

image

Space Harrier

image

Custom Robo

image

New Horizons

image

Space Station Silicon Valley

image

Gex

image

Rising Zan

image

The Legend of Oasis

image

Beyond Oasis

image

Gunman's Proof

image

Astro Boy - Omega Factor

image

Banjo-Kazooie - Nuts and Bolts

image

Clash at Demonhead

image

Conker's Bad Fur Day

image

PK - Out of the Shadows

image

Earthbound

image

Ecstatica

image

Abuse

image

Call of Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth

image

Ghost in the Shell

image

P.N. 03

image

The Neverhood

image

Skullmonkeys

image

Demon's Crest

image

Sweet Home

image

Scooby Doo - Mystery!

image

Uninvited

image

Missing

image
159 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Darth Marsden;621940 said:
    Fragile Dreams - Farewell Ruins to the Moon - When I tried this, I seem to recall it having an incredibly slow start. Like, I played for an hour and not a lot happened. I'm sure it picked up, but oof. Not a great way to entice players.
    I'm fine with that, but considering its premise and what it attempts, I'd say it's more than worth a look. I haven't played it, but I plan to.
    Starfox Adventures - Leaving aside the fact that this was Starfox in nothing but name (it's basically a Zelda ripoff), it's also one of the easiest games I've ever played. Like, I can play all the way through without dying once. ONCE. The combat was repetitive, the shopkeeper was annoying, the combat was repetitive, the puzzles weren't challenging, the combat was repetitive, the ship sections were pale imitations, the combat was repetitive, the characters were bland & annoying and the combat was repetitive. Also, repetitive combat. Not sure if I mentioned that.
    Again, like BK, it's a Rareware game with a different type of gameplay using well-known characters out of their element. Now originally it was an N64 game called Dinosaur Planet having nothing to do with Starfox, but I honestly love playing as Fox in a Zelda style game. But it is Zelda in mechanics only. Also it has fire keese and a play on a Zelda tune in an area. The places are Rareware, the music is Rareware, the humor is Rareware, the voice acting is horrifyingly bad but exactly what Rareware's grunts and hoots would sound as voice acting, and its gameplay is honestly neat. It also does some things Skyward Sword does, but first. Digging and combat are pretty similar, and the enemy AI is great at blocking. Also flying back and forth to areas. Yeah, the game is easy, but it's also FUN. It has its hit and miss moments: namely the beginning and the Arwing sections, but everything else is spot on Rareware. Even the jazz music that plays when Fox sees Krystal: it's not Starfox humor...it's Rareware humor. That's what makes it so off-putting for Starfox fans, but that's why I love it so much. It's Rareware back when Rareware knew what the hell they were doing, and in spite of being forced by Ninty to use well known characters to sell their game, they managed to keep their voice and charm within it. Also, yes the shopkeeper is annoying, but you can't tell me that he doesn't sound exactly how a pre-Microsoft Rareware character typically sounds. I like the characters: they're typical Rareware characters. It's the voice acting that is ruined, but again- Rareware games weren't meant for voice-acting.
    The Legend of Oasis - I only briefly played this to get an achievement in the PS3 Sega Mega Drive Collection, but it seemed like a fun Zelda-like game. I'm guessing Beyond Oasis was a sequel?
    This was a sequel to Beyond Oasis, but it's also a prequel. BO came first.
    Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts - This is a perfectly fine game, with one fatal flaw. THIS IS NOT A BANJO-KAZOOIE GAME. It's a completely different game with the BK license slapped all over it. It's not a true successor to the series and it's not the game fans wanted. THAT is what's wrong with this game. Also, JonTron review. It is hilarious, as is all his stuff.
    I'm a diehard BK fan, but having played Nuts and Bolts, I can't agree. It's not a platformer but it is a BK game. It has a lot of charm actually once I gave it a chance. I still far prefer the first two, especially Tooie, but I got over my peeves. Now Grunty's Revenge....don't get me started.
    Conker's Bad Fur Day - Yes. We need either a sequel to this game (and not one that focuses on the Tediz war that the head of Rare said somewhere) or another completely different game that has much the same feel. Live and Reloaded doesn't count. God, what happened to you Rare? You used to be cool.
    You pretty much said why it's on my list.
    PK - Out of the Shadows - I own this game on the Gamecube, and I can tell you why people didn't buy it. It takes Donald Duck, turns him into a 'superhero', changes his voice and has him shooting aliens. ...yeah. It's actually a pretty solid game, but it's so left field it baffles me why they made it.
    You gave all the reasons why I bought it. Also it's based on an existing series of...I think...comic books. Not sure. I found out about it back when it came out and got it then. I loved it, even though the final boss is ripped from Ganondorf in OOT.

    Feel free to add games you feel deserve to be remembered: I don't want to be the only contributor.
  • Secret Fawful;621942 said:
    I'm a diehard BK fan, but having played Nuts and Bolts, I can't agree. It's not a platformer but it is a BK game. It has a lot of charm actually once I gave it a chance. I still far prefer the first two, especially Tooie, but I got over my peeves. Now Grunty's Revenge....don't get me started.
    Hey, I liked Grunty's Revenge. It wasn't perfect, but it was fun. Kind of.

    When I said they plastered Banjo-Kazooie over Nuts and Bolts, I didn't mean that they did it badly. They did it very well indeed - the characters and the humour are all over the thing. The problem is that it plays nothing like previous Banjo-Kazooie games and is most definitely not what the fans wanted, myself included. If you watch the review I linked, JonTron explains why I was so disappointed with it quite well. We were originally enticed with a proper next-gen BK platformer (the likes of which is sorely missed these days), only to get a completely different experience.

    As I said, it's a good game. it really is. I wouldn't be trying to 100% it if it wasn't. I really do enjoy it for what it is, and there isn't much else out there quite like it. But it's not a sequel to Banjo-Kazooie in the traditional sense, since it changes almost everything gameplay-wise, and that's why I feel like I do.

    Fragile Moon - Clunky Title to the Moon - I do intend to try this one again some time. When I eventually try and play though my (incredibly) huge list of games, I'll try and delve deeper into this one. It looked good.

    Starfox Adventures - Not to repeat myself, but again, it's not a traditional Starfox game. That said... it's still pretty good. I still enjoyed it (enough to play through it twice). We need more proper Zelda-like games. But again, it's so different! That's my biggest issue with sequels like this. Why do developers have to change everything when what came before was so good?

    Only game I would have added to the list would have been Okami, but again, it's being re-released on PSN late this year, so I can't say it's forgotten. 'cause it's not. Yays!
  • Darthchair;621949 said:
    image
    That game was amazing...I wish I could find the Gameboy color version.


    With that said.

    I think this game has infamy, but isn't actually played and marks when companies tried to do something different with their series.
    image
  • I would kind of argue and say that Castlevania II established what all current 2D Castlevanias do. But you know maybe I'm wrong. ^^ However it established the inventory and some of the more roleplaying elements I believe. Could Symphony of the Night existed without it? I don't think so.

    I loved Deja Vu. I heard the PC version was better, but I only played the NES version.

    image

    I don't know if anyone remembers this...but uh...this game was one of the best Lego games ever, before TT started making them. Full voice acting, open world, hilarious.
  • Darthchair;621997 said:
    I would kind of argue and say that Castlevania II established what all current 2D Castlevanias do. But you know maybe I'm wrong. ^^ However it established the inventory and some of the more roleplaying elements I believe. Could Symphony of the Night existed without it? I don't think so.
    I agree with that. I'm just saying people hate this game without playing and kind of shove it under the rug. "Like whateve's. AVGN didn't like it so I won't either"
    I don't know if anyone remembers this...but uh...this game was one of the best Lego games ever, before TT started making them. Full voice acting, open world, hilarious.
    They're kind of going back to that with Lego Undercover. Something I'm extremely excite for.
  • Yeah I saw that, but isn't it a WiiU exclusive?
  • Darth Marsden;621958 said:
    Hey, I liked Grunty's Revenge. It wasn't perfect, but it was fun. Kind of.

    When I said they plastered Banjo-Kazooie over Nuts and Bolts, I didn't mean that they did it badly. They did it very well indeed - the characters and the humour are all over the thing. The problem is that it plays nothing like previous Banjo-Kazooie games and is most definitely not what the fans wanted, myself included. If you watch the review I linked, JonTron explains why I was so disappointed with it quite well. We were originally enticed with a proper next-gen BK platformer (the likes of which is sorely missed these days), only to get a completely different experience.

    As I said, it's a good game. it really is. I wouldn't be trying to 100% it if it wasn't. I really do enjoy it for what it is, and there isn't much else out there quite like it. But it's not a sequel to Banjo-Kazooie in the traditional sense, since it changes almost everything gameplay-wise, and that's why I feel like I do.

    Fragile Moon - Clunky Title to the Moon - I do intend to try this one again some time. When I eventually try and play though my (incredibly) huge list of games, I'll try and delve deeper into this one. It looked good.

    Starfox Adventures - Not to repeat myself, but again, it's not a traditional Starfox game. That said... it's still pretty good. I still enjoyed it (enough to play through it twice). We need more proper Zelda-like games. But again, it's so different! That's my biggest issue with sequels like this. Why do developers have to change everything when what came before was so good?

    Only game I would have added to the list would have been Okami, but again, it's being re-released on PSN late this year, so I can't say it's forgotten. 'cause it's not. Yays!
    I enjoyed Grunty's Revenge, but I have my doubts on its actual quality. I really hate the story and I really wish it had been more akin to Donkey Kong Country, but it is what it is and I still own a copy regardless. As far as Nuts and Bolts, I was disappointed too! Very much so- until I played it. Hell, I still kind of want a 360 just FOR it. As far as Starfox Adventures, it's just really Nintendo's fault for forcing a different IP brand onto Rare's concept. But I don't really blame them in the end, because I love what I got- and again, there was a ban in my house on Zelda games for years...so SA was a nice loophole.

    But yeah, I always wanted to try Lego Island, but it's something that just never happened for me. Lego City is a Wii U exclusive, though, yep.
  • image

    image

    image

    image

    More to come i'm sure!
  • Secret Fawful;622066 said:
    there was a ban in my house on Zelda games for years...
    Wha? Oh, I must pry. Do tell!
Add Comment