User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter/Crowdfunding thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited by Jennifer - Viewed by 35K users
Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!
1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Darth Marsden;620437 said:
    How about the fact that it's another bloody zombie game? (Heh, I made a pun.)
    A Troika-style RPG using the narrative genre is entirely separate from the glut of third/first-person shooters that use it as window dressing.

While zombies are used in a lot of things lately as a mostly aesthetic touch, very FEW games in the zombie glut have actually utilized the narrative conventions of the zombie genre to any compelling extent, which is where ex-Troika devs come in.

Dead State's pitch includes social/conversation aspects, where you must manage the personal needs and morale of a group of survivors. It has resource management. It has sim-like management of a small outpost of survivors. The difference between a game that truly translates the zombie film experience into game mechanics, as opposed to yet another shooter that happens to have you blasting zombies rather than Nazis or vague Middle Eastern terrorists this time around, is a rather large one.
  • You should know by now to take almost everything I say with a pinch of salt. :p

But thanks for the better description of the game. I still don't think I'll contribute, but I wish the team success.
  • A couple Kickstarters I've supported are ending soon:

Sullivan's Sluggers - a Comics project

$10 for a digital copy, $30 for a hardbound, omnibus-size 200-page book with a slipcase and bound-in bookmark. The physical book is exclusive to the campaign!

Phil Tippet's Mad God - a Film project

Stop motion.
    By a special effects GENIUS who did, among other things, the Rancor, the AT-ATs and the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park.
    All practical, in-camera effects.
    A film that deals in deep and mature themes.
    A film that is the completion of a 20 year-old 35mm project that got shitcanned due to the digital age.

If you can watch that pitch and not even get somewhat excited, I'm not sure I can ever understand what you want from movies.
  • gamingafter40;619885 said:
    Okay, this one has to be my favorite unlikely-to-be-successful listing on Kickstarter:

"FEARLESS: A 3d action game with different obstacles and different worlds that the character must face in order to become the ultimate worrier." :)
    'Jacky Chan and Jet Lee'

lolwut?
  • http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/232860137/modest-medusa-season-2

For every thousand over we get an extra bonus comic we're already near bonus comic 2 but with such a limited time left in the kickstarter can we get more?
  • We're almost at our next bonus comic only 500 bucks away come on guys tell your friends
  • A nudge for Reincarnation: The Root of all Evil, which I would dearly love to get funded. Not just because the game sounds awesome, but also so I can get my hands on a cool t-shirt and two of these:

Make it happen people, I WANT THOSE DEMON DOLLS.
  • Yeah, I had to pledge for Dead State. It looks like Fire Emblem but deeper and with an intriguing society simulator aspect. Plus I am a big sucker for turn-based strategy combat.
  • Space Command

New science fiction film series created by writer/producer Marc Scott Zicree (Star Trek: TNG, Star Trek: DS9, Babylon 5, Sliders and numerous others. The project has secured the acting talents of Armin Shimerman (Quark on Star Trek: DS9) and Ethan Phillips (Neelix on Star Trek: Voyager).

Seriously, read up about and back this project. It just looks and sounds awesome.

Add Comment