User Avatar Image

ITT: We discuss anime. AKA, the weaboo thread.

posted by Comrade Pants on - last edited - Viewed by 3.4K users
I didn't notice a thread directly related to anime general, so I thought I'd create one. What's the last anime you people watched and what did you think of it? For me, it was...

Horrifying, disturbing, enthralling. I don't recommend it to anyone with a weak stomach by any stretch of the imagination, but if you can handle, say, Tokyo Gore Police or something, then I recommend it.

The last broadly recommendable anime I saw, of course, is the ever enjoyable...

Tatami Galaxy.

visceral, fast paced, surreal. The things this anime gets right are legion and far too numerous to list in their entirety, but the art and story certainly stand out. To say that it's the best anime of the past five years is damning it with faint praise. It's really of sufficient quality to match the depth and craftsmanship of some of the 90's higher quality anime.

Go, my fellow weebs!
63 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I've been going through Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex again. I actually like the series' better than the movies. The world and the characters are more fleshed out and the Tachikomas are SO adorable!
  • That is the tendency when movies and OVAs are turned into series - fleshing out the world and characters more. :P

I must admit, I enjoyed GITSAC a lot as well.
  • I liked 2nd Gig much more, but they're both great series with great moments. Motoko is the best example I can think of of a sexy female character who is filled with depth, mystery, interesting qualities, and high intelligence and skill. And Aramaki is a pimp.
  • Comrade Pants;644188 said:
    That is the tendency when movies and OVAs are turned into series - fleshing out the world and characters more. :P
    Yes, yes :o I suppose I mentioned of it because I always felt that the world shown in the GitS movies needed fleshing out. I didn't understand the rules of the universe from watching the movies alone, and I've never read the Manga. SaC was great because for the first time I finally understand the goings on in this sci-fi setting.

Also, I feel that the stories of the SaC episodes are tighter and better executed.
    His look. It screams "bitch, don't make me smack a ho."

Total. Pimp.

And to agree with consensus, SaC seemed to have a tighter and more directed story. Maybe the idea of a popular uprising just appealed to me more, though. Who can say?
  • In many respects, Gantz is terrible. It suffers from Neon Genesis Evangelion syndrome, and opts for the most unsatisfying ending possible.

Sad, considering I truly did enjoy much of the buildup and mysteries of the anime. But as we all know from the Monkey Island 2 debacle, an ending can ruin an entire game or show for me.
  • ...yes... as we all know... Because everyone here has played the games this forum was formed to discuss...

*shifty glances.*
  • In context of you being the thread creator, I was addressing you, primarily :P
  • Well, if it's just random anime discussion... Anyone here seen the new Berserk movies? I'm thinking of picking them up when (if) they are released on DVD in Europe, but I've heard mixed things about the first movie.
  • DAISHI;644211 said:
    In context of you being the thread creator, I was addressing you, primarily :P
    I've been had!
Add Comment