User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter/Crowdfunding thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited by Jennifer - Viewed by 35.1K users
Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!
1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    They're at 158,000 $ now, and although it's rather hard to perceive from Germany, day one of the kickstarter hasn't even ended yet.
  • In the first update of Broken Sword 5 they note that they nearly reached 40% of their goal on the first day. Pretty impressive. It must help that they are making a game in an established franchise as supposed to starting from scratch, like many other Kickstarter projects have been forced to do. I think this one will get plenty of money, people know what they are signing themselves up for.

Also, woooooooo, Broken Sword! :D
  • I think i'm gonna put some money aside and back at the $100 mark. Broken Sword means a lot to me, plus the goodies seem really nice. :)

The character models are dead on... until it's time for a close-up. But maybe they'll tweak that with feedback, i'd certainly welcome any delays with open arms if it meant a better game.
  • Yeah, it's the faces that worry me. The bodies I can live with, but the faces just don't fit at all.

Also, the hands need more work. But I'm sure they know that.
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    The Project Giana guys have just released TWO DEMO LEVELS for their game.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/project-giana/project-giana/posts/294616

Should really give the kickstarter the kickstart they need.
  • Good news - they've also released a patch that allows WinXP users to actually run the demo.
    Why the fuck was that not an option in the first place?
  • Yeah... Broken Sword is one to get REALLY excited about.... $100
  • To anyone wondering about the character models, this quote from their latest update says it all:
    Some people asked about the visual look of the characters. They are initially created as 3D models, animated by an animator and pre-rendered to look cell shaded / 2D. When animated at 30fps they look fluid and solid. We are pleased with the result so far, and this technique allows us scope to adjust until we're 100% happy.
    ...ugh. Fucking 3D revolution ruining everything. I'm glad they're happy, 'cause I'm not.
  • ...fluid and solid? ....like glass?

Yeah, I'm not so sure I'm on board with this one. ...yet.
  • Basically, if they're drawing the backgrounds by hand, they need to do the characters the same way or there'll be a massive disconnect between the two. It's the same (admittedly minor) issue I have with the Runaway games, but here it'll be in an established series and it'll just stand out even more in comparison to previous entries.

Doing 3D cell-shaded models may be easier on the team, but it just doesn't fit the Broken Sword series.
Add Comment