User Avatar Image

Limited Choices discussion (merged threads)

posted by ADavidson on - last edited - Viewed by 18.3K users
I was a bit disappointed with the story choices. Reminded me of LA Noir, where most game choices are superficial. If you pick Shawn he still dies the same. Even if the other chosen character died(Doug or Carlie), the other said the same things. And no matter what I said nothing changed story points, like Larry shoving you down even if you side with him. Oh and with Glenn, if you hand the girl the gun he says how can you let people give up but if you refuse he says how can you deny someone's choice! The character's in the game should have the same convictions no matter what you choose, this is unacceptable character development.

Supposedly the choices of Episode 1 greatly affect how everyone views you though... I sure hope the following episodes prove more impressive with the choices, and I realllllly hope it branches out and expands more. For a 2hr game it should have a lot more possibilities.

I know it's only a $5 game, just please don't let me down.

Otherwise, the story itself was awesome, the gameplay is really good and the art style is incredible. Still the best TT game to date! Keep it up guys!
641 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • This ... THIS is the only thing i don't like in the game. I am heartbroken that i couldn't save Carley and it's eating me from inside. Please give us the option to save the characters we like even if it's a really,really hard way to do so. Option is always a big + and you will never regret it.
  • Carley is dead, she's not coming back, please just deal with it and stop mentioning her death over and over again, it's starting to annoy me, geez. It feels like people are trolling and it's actually working, gawd... =_=
  • Motordead;679641 said:
    Okay let me ask everyone who thinks this game doesn't have choices. Do you expect every choice you make to change the game entirely? That if you side with Kenny you go to Fort Lauderdale, and if you side with Lilly you go to Savannah?

If you choose Carly or Doug they stay alive forever because you saved them once?

If you let Clem die at any point you continue the story without her?

If somehow Lee dies in the game, you take over one of the other characters and play through them?

Do you know how many different stories Telltale would have to write? These are just some examples, but there are hundreds, if not thousands of different ways for the game to go. Just because you don't have a tailor specific story to go by (Ex: you would rather walk than take the train) doesn't mean the game isn't any good!

You have plenty of choices within the game:
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Decide to wait for night with clem
    [*]Shawn or Duck
    [*]Doug or Carly
    [*]Chop teachers leg off or not
    [*]Choose to side going to dairy or not
    [*]Choose to undo skrews from locked door in barn
    [*]Stopping clem in time from eating
    [*]Killing the brothers
    [*]Taking the food
    [*]If you chose Carly you can confess, if Doug you cant
    [*]Choose to be aggressive or passive with the bandits in a dialogue
    [*]Leave or take Lilly
    [*]Choose how you react to Chuck
    [*]You don't even need to bring Duck water
    [*]Fight Kenny or talk him down
    [*]Decide who shoots Duck (r.i.p)
    [*]Push Omid
    [*]Omid of Christa
    [/LIST]

These are just a few choices.

While these choices don't change how the Story goes (as in "I'm not getting on the train") but changes how everyone in the group reacts to you. Kenny can treat you like a piece of shit, or he can be your best friend. The point is to those who have a problem with choices, this isn't enough for you? And the game isn't even over, I'm sure Telltale will have multiple endings to the game based on all these choices at the end of episode 5.
    At the ending of chapter 3 non of those choices meant anything. It doesn't matter what you do the story is always the same and we feel cheated because of it. Nothing you say will change that, it's simply not the game we were promised.
  • By that logic, any "choices" a person makes don't matter when a game ends.

Wow, why play games at all?

lulz.....
  • Aldaron;679722 said:
    At the ending of chapter 3 non of those choices meant anything. It doesn't matter what you do the story is always the same and we feel cheated because of it. Nothing you say will change that, it's simply not the game we were promised.

Yes it is, because it changes the way we experience the game.

Did Rockstar Lie with their Sandbox games because I couldn't rape a dog, while I'm watching American Idol, while shooting a Cowboy?

I'm pretty sure most of us had different experiences with this game. Mixed feelings in different situations.

Mass Effect did that even less, because the choices in most Bioware games are pretty obvious depending how you want to add up.

I make choices in The Walking Dead upon choices I would make in that certain situation, there is no exact right or wrong. But to me choosing something else than what I would choose in the first place is a different experience.
  • R1ggsy;679756 said:

Did Rockstar Lie with their Sandbox games because I couldn't rape a dog, while I'm watching American Idol, while shooting a Cowboy?

I'm pretty sure most of us had different experiences with this game. Mixed feelings in different situations.

Mass Effect did that even less, because the choices in most Bioware games are pretty obvious depending how you want to add up.

I make choices in The Walking Dead upon choices I would make in that certain situation, there is no exact right or wrong. But to me choosing something else than what I would choose in the first place is a different experience.
    Mass Effect is a shitty RPG, who cares about it?

And the difference is that TTG said that the choices would be Profound and lasting, and that my choices would shape the story. Non of that happend, maube they tried to bite more thatn they could chew, but they have only themselves to blame.
  • R1ggsy;679756 said:

I don't understand why you would need those disgusting choices in a sandbox game when you can enjoy yourself and do them in real life?
    but be warned I'll definitely call the cops on you... especially for the crime of watching American Idol :p
  • Aldaron;679770 said:
    Mass Effect is a shitty RPG, who cares about it?

And the difference is that TTG said that the choices would be Profound and lasting, and that my choices would shape the story. Non of that happend, maube they tried to bite more thatn they could chew, but they have only themselves to blame.
    Well let's see... you cared enough to trash it.

Anywhoozle....

For your second point....

In my game: Kenny was a user who used Lee to keep his family safe, and Lilly was a straight up gal who had Lee's back. Carley was his almost-girlfriend.

Others have said based on THEIR choices these characters act differently. (or weren't there at all)

How exactly did my choices not shape my story?

I don't think you really understand the point you think you're trying to make.
  • Seriously, Telltale didn't bite off more than they could chew, they bit into something that no one can chew. Anyone trying to make a game like this would fail at branching decslisions. Until Quantic Dream makes a game with six major branches - because its gonna be them, not Telltale that gets the budget for it - no one is going to bite through this tough mouthful.
  • R1ggsy;679756 said:
    No but I would say they have a hell of a marketing team if you thought you could
This discussion has been closed.