User Avatar Image

My new novel, "Per Astra Ad Aspera."

posted by RAnthonyMahan on - last edited - Viewed by 742 users
Hey guys! Not sure how many of you have looked into my writing before from me posting here, but I thought you might like to know I've released a new book, titled "Per Astra Ad Aspera." Thought any readers around here would like to know.
17 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • You might want to try a title less intimately associated with Carl Sagan.
  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator
    DAISHI;679955 said:
    You might want to try a title less intimately associated with Carl Sagan.
    It's not really intimately associated with him, as he's not automatically the first thing that everybody thinks of when you hear it. I first think of it as the inscription on the plaque honoring the astronauts who died in the Apollo 1 mission. There's a lot of other uses for the phrase. It has been in use since at least 1903.
  • Of course, he cleverly inverted the phrase. "Through the stars toward hardships," instead of the other way around.
  • Here's a link to it on Amazon.co.uk.

Kudos on getting a book out, Mahan! If I had a kindle or equivalent, I'd buy it.
  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator
    I second the congrats. I've been whittling away at a book for several years, and I have a friend that just got a book out and she's been working at it for just as long.

It's a big thing to even get a book out there. I have Kindle for PC, so I'll be sure to pick it up and take a look later. :)
  • thesporkman;679965 said:
    Of course, he cleverly inverted the phrase. "Through the stars toward hardships," instead of the other way around.
    Thank you! You might be the first person I haven't had to explain the title to. But that's what I get for thinking Latin wordplay was a good idea. :p
  • Congrats! I'll def pick it up when I get a Kindle.
    Jennifer;679962 said:
    It's not really intimately associated with him, as he's not automatically the first thing that everybody thinks of when you hear it. I first think of it as the inscription on the plaque honoring the astronauts who died in the Apollo 1 mission. There's a lot of other uses for the phrase. It has been in use since at least 1903.
    That was you told DAISHI.
  • Congratulations! :) I know how much work it is to write a book, heh.

Will there be a print version as well?
  • Haggis;680085 said:
    Congratulations! :) I know how much work it is to write a book, heh.

Will there be a print version as well?
    Unfortunately, probably not, at least not anytime soon. KDP only lets me self-publish on Kindle. Maybe if the book is really, really popular, a publisher will beg me to let them make a print version. :p

Or, more realistically, I could go to CreateSpace if there's enough demand. That costs money, though.
  • Actually, CreateSpace is free. :) All it takes is a day or so of frustration formatting the manuscript, but then you just upload it along with the cover art and you're good to go.

(They do charge if you want "extended distribution", or if you want them to format your book, but if you DIY and just want to sell it through Amazon, go with the free option.)
Add Comment