posted by N7. on - last edited - Viewed by 971 users
Please test your vocab and put the results in here

4,170 for me

www.testyourvocab.com
39 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    puzzlebox;685423 said:
    I guess my point is that I consider it trivia.
    But do you know the etymology of the word "trivia"? ;)

Maybe above 25,000 words, we can assume that every even remotely essential word is already in the passive vocabulary. Everything above IS trivia (in its modern sense). So testing if those non-essential words are known might be the way to determine how large one's vocabulary is.
  • 30,100. Some of those have come from my love of literature such as Lovecraft, some, like tenebrous, came from games.

Unsurprising to be fair.
  • 29,900. There are some words I do understand what they mean but I'm not able to articulate a definition. Then there are some words which just mean nothing! So feel that's about accurate, and that reading a lot does help.
  • 25,300. There were some words I recognized as real words, and I may have known the definition at some point, but it's been so long since I've seen them that I've forgotten, so under the rules, I didn't check their boxes.

There isn't really much of a purpose to knowing really obscure words unless you're making inside jokes with other word-trivia buffs.
  • WarpSpeed;685466 said:
    25,300. There were some words I recognized as real words, and I may have known the definition at some point, but it's been so long since I've seen them that I've forgotten, so under the rules, I didn't check their boxes.

There isn't really much of a purpose to knowing really obscure words unless you're making inside jokes with other word-trivia buffs.
    Unfortunately in academia it's a self sustaining circle jerk of having to learn those obscure words.
  • Hell yeah! I am dumb as hell. I shouldn't relish in this fact but I do.
  • 21,000. I'm not a native speaker, but knew several of the more archaic words from having read a lot of classic English literature. I'd say I have a fairly good understanding of English, but I'm not too good at writing or speaking it.

I did not check boxes of words for which I had only heard in a certain context yet would still be guessing at the correct usage/definition.
  • 21,500 apparently. It doesn't really matter, since I look up words that I'm not sure about, and if I'm looking for a word I don't know, I use a thesaurus.

And if I may recommend an online vocabulary tester that's actually useful: Word Dynamo. That one helps you learn new words.
Add Comment