Telltale Autumn Sale

Sam and Max original

edited October 2012 in Sam & Max
Hey guys I wanted to ask you if anyone of you have the Sam and Max hit the road from the Lucasarts classics.Can somebody play it on Windows Vista or Windows 7?Or does it get bugged like the Space Quest collection I bought a few months ago?

Comments

  • edited October 2012
    So long as you have acquired the game through legitimate channels, you can play it through SCUMMVM -

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ScummVM
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Foinikas wrote: »
    Hey guys I wanted to ask you if anyone of you have the Sam and Max hit the road from the Lucasarts classics. Can somebody play it on Windows Vista or Windows 7?Or does it get bugged like the Space Quest collection I bought a few months ago?
    The best thing to do is to use ScummVM to play Sam & Max Hit The Road. It's easy to use. Just run ScummVM, click on add game, and navigate to the directory you installed it in. After going through the prompts, now, just click on the game in the ScummVM GUI and click Start.

    To play Space Quest collection, you can play the first five games in ScummVM too (the 6th isn't fully supported yet). You can also install Collector's DOSBox update to play the Space Quest games in a newer version of DOSBox (and with various fan patches) that should fix most problems.
  • edited October 2012
    I have ScummVM but I was asking for the original CD/DVD of Lucasarts classics
  • edited October 2012
    If it works with ScummVM, why be gung ho about running it differently? You just load in the data files from the CD/DVD.
  • edited October 2012
    Foinikas wrote: »
    I was asking for the original CD/DVD of Lucasarts classics

    Buy it on eBay.
  • edited October 2012
    I know where to buy it,I am just asking if it runs nicely on Windows 7 or Vista!
  • edited October 2012
    Yes. It works absolutely perfectly in Windows 7/Vista in ScummVM.
  • edited October 2012
    I am not talking about scummvm!!!!
  • edited October 2012
    I think we're all getting a little confused. Essentially, if you have got a copy of "Sam and Max Hit the Road" you will find that you cannot run it on later versions of Windows at all - unless, as formerly discussed, you run it through SCUMMVM. In which case it works fine.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited October 2012
    If I read his post correctly, he's talking about the early 2000's re-release that Activision put out in Europe. In that case, it might work. It uses Aaron Giles' Windows port (he made a bunch of ports of LucasArts adventure games to Windows before he left LucasArts, and LucasArts didn't bother re-releasing them until years later), and the Steam games also use Aaron's Windows ports, and they work in Windows 7.

    However, you're still better off playing Sam & Max Hit the Road in ScummVM than in the original executable by LucasArts, as ScummVM fixes a fairly major bug that causes the game to hang in the original executable.
  • edited October 2012
    Thank you Jennifer! :)
  • edited October 2012
    Jennifer wrote: »
    If I read his post correctly, he's talking about the early 2000's re-release that Activision put out in Europe. In that case, it might work. It uses Aaron Giles' Windows port (he made a bunch of ports of LucasArts adventure games to Windows before he left LucasArts, and LucasArts didn't bother re-releasing them until years later), and the Steam games also use Aaron's Windows ports, and they work in Windows 7.

    This is the version I have and it works perfectly on Windows 7. I actually think it's kinda nice to still be able to just pop in the CD and play. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.