User Avatar Image

Telltale Games has encountered a problem and needs to close.

posted by AshleyTheNeko on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users
When I went to play The Walking Dead today, it told me that the game needed to be "converted into a new more efficient format". After that was complete, the game would not run, and gave me the title error. I tried checking the game cache, nothing wrong there. I tried rebooting steam. No help. I tried restarting my computer. Still no. Finally I re installed the game, and it still doesn't work. It's not blocked by my firewall, my video and sound drivers are up to date, I tried running it in compatibility mode, tried running the .exe directly, and the game fails to start. The game worked perfectly fine before this "conversion".

Attached is a partial DxDiag information dump. I removed much of it to fit within the file size limit for this forum.

Edit: Problem fixed. I had a corrupted prefs file.
26 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Isn't there anybody out there that can help me? I've given you all the information I can, and I've tried all of the solutions in the FAQ, there isn't anything else I can do.
  • Over 200 people have looked at this thread, one of them must be capable of helping me. My game worked perfectly fine until Steam messed with it.
  • Episode 4 is out, and my game is still not working. Telltale broke it when they made me convert it.
  • I posted this thread four days ago, patiently waiting for an answer, isn't there anybody out there that can help me? I've given you all the information I can. This thread has now been viewed over 300 times, I don't believe that all of them were incapable of helping me. I just want to play the game that I paid for, and that Telltale broke with their update.
  • Hey bro. I'm having the same problem and I don't find any solution yet. My game doesn't even start. In the first time appear this error message and now not even this. I don't know what to do. Every new episode I have a problem with this games. In the last one was my save. In the first time was something like this but the compatibility mode worked.

Good luck for us.
  • Still no help? This is just pathetic.
  • I send an email to support, but until no response.
  • User Avatar Image
    Kevin Telltale Staff
    A Telltale Game doesn't ever do anything like "converted into a new more efficient format". Where did you get your game, from TTG or Steam?
  • I bought on Steam. And I deleted and installed again 3 times.
  • I got it on Steam, (which was easily discernible from my post) and when I tried to open the game I was made to wait for it to convert before I was allowed to play it. After this conversion it would not run. I am not the only person experiencing problems after this conversion.
This discussion has been closed.