User Avatar Image

Telltale Games has encountered a problem and needs to close.

posted by AshleyTheNeko on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users
When I went to play The Walking Dead today, it told me that the game needed to be "converted into a new more efficient format". After that was complete, the game would not run, and gave me the title error. I tried checking the game cache, nothing wrong there. I tried rebooting steam. No help. I tried restarting my computer. Still no. Finally I re installed the game, and it still doesn't work. It's not blocked by my firewall, my video and sound drivers are up to date, I tried running it in compatibility mode, tried running the .exe directly, and the game fails to start. The game worked perfectly fine before this "conversion".

Attached is a partial DxDiag information dump. I removed much of it to fit within the file size limit for this forum.

Edit: Problem fixed. I had a corrupted prefs file.
26 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Sure wish I could play episode 4.
  • A whole week and nobody has tried to help me. Just lovely. I paid for this game and I'd really like to play it.
  • I'm really getting pissed now. This is complete bullshit. Where the fuck is everybody? Telltale, wake the fuck up. You broke my game, and I demand that you fix it, or give me back my money. I waited long enough for the episode to come out, and I can't even fucking play it.
  • They only want to promote the greatness of the game, not the game breaking issues. Just look at their twitter

https://twitter.com/telltalegames
  • Do I have to get on my knees and fucking beg? Where the fuck is everybody?
  • User Avatar Image
    MattP Telltale Staff
    As Kevin mentioned, none of our games need to be converted into another format. If you have a screenshot of the message, can you please post it? If not, can you clarify whether it was a system message or a Steam message? Any information can help as this is not something we've encountered before.
  • I don't have a screen shot of the message. Others have reported problems after this conversion, and have posted in the "WalkingDead101.exe has stopped working" error thread. It was a Steam message, not a system message. The black Steam box popped up when I tried to run the game, prompting me that it needed to convert the game files before it could run. After the conversion was complete, I tried to run it again, and got the crash error. Before this the game would start and run just fine.
  • This happened to me aswell MattP, i got it to run by running the WalkingDead101 as an Admin, but it popped up in windowed small res mode and all my saves were not loading (which is why i was wondering about res being somehow connected to gamesaves in my PM)
  • i got the message after i "verified the integrity of my game cache" because Ep. 4 didn't download automatically, the game said that it needed to convert blahblah and download some files, i am also running Win7 64bit. Additionally, Steam and all of my games are on a different drive than my C:/MyDocuments (i don't know if it matters)
  • User Avatar Image
    MattP Telltale Staff
    Please try reinstalling Steam.
This discussion has been closed.