User Avatar Image

Kirkman on bites

posted by AceStarr on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users
I Decided to look it up this what i found not sure if its true but it says they quoting Kirkman on the bites and turning into a zombie.

Robert Kirkman wrote:
The rule is: WHATEVER it is that causes the zombies, is something everyone already has. If you stub your toe, get an infection and die, you turn into a zombie, UNLESS your brain is damaged. If someone shoots you in the head and you die, you're dead. A zombie bite kills you because of infection, or blood loss, not because of the zombie "virus."[3]

So if Lee does not get a fever or have lots of blood loss he wont become a zombie.
60 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • In kirmans world they actually do salivate, considering he said so himself....lol
  • BlackPaladin;697259 said:
    In kirmans world they actually do salivate, considering he said so himself....lol
    Is that right? haha
  • Red Panda;697251 said:
    The problem is dead people don't have saliva in their mouth. Or they shouldn't, but what do facts matters?

And what deadly infection can you get from a human bite? Komodo dragons, like regular house cats, have deadly saliva. Again, dead people don't salivate...
    Its not the saliva of a komodo dragon that is so toxic, its the bacteria they've accumulated inside of the saliva, you can't tell me a human who is rotting like a zombie on the walking dead wouldn't pass just as much bacteria onto a wound by biting it, saliva or not, even though I am almost positive they do have saliva.
  • Sir Fruitcakes;697280 said:
    Its not the saliva of a komodo dragon that is so toxic, its the bacteria they've accumulated inside of the saliva, you can't tell me a human who is rotting like a zombie on the walking dead wouldn't pass just as much bacteria onto a wound by biting it, saliva or not, even though I am almost positive they do have saliva.
    Bacteria don't breed well in dry places, which is why they thrive in saliva. A corpse dries out pretty quickly.

So, to answer your question, that's exactly what I'm telling you.

It's not like logic, biology or physics apply in the world so it's kind of a pointless debate.
  • Red Panda;697293 said:
    Bacteria don't breed well in dry places, which is why they thrive in saliva. A corpse dries out pretty quickly.

It's not like logic, biology or physics apply in the world so it's kind of a pointless debate.
    It's never a pointless debate.
  • Sir Fruitcakes;697296 said:
    It's never a pointless debate.
    Well, since kirkman said that walkers Have got saliva, it IS a pointless debate.
  • Red Panda;697293 said:

Well it really depends on the bacterium or the viral agent in question.
    There are viruses that can live on external surfaces for up to a year.
    There are bacteria that can stand extreme temperatures.
    The fact is we don't know what's in the average walkers mouth.
  • LokiHavok;697311 said:
    Well it really depends on the bacterium or the viral agent in question.
    There are viruses that can live on external surfaces for up to a year.
    There are bacteria that can stand extreme temperatures.
    The fact is we don't know what's in the average walkers mouth.
    We can assume plenty of rotten flesh sense their mouths are rotting, aren't they?
  • What is really irritating is if you watch the TV series, as soon as they get bit, they begin running a super high fever and usually die from that. It doesn't mesh with the whole "We're all infected" theory because they can't really offer up a good reason as to why the bites always cause the exact same symptoms, high fever then death.

What makes a human bite so dangerous is all the disease that people carry.

Human bites have been shown to transmit hepatitis B, hepatitis C, herpes simplex virus (HSV), syphilis, tuberculosis, actinomycosis, and tetanus. Evidence suggests that it is biologically possible to transmit the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) through human bites, although this is quiteunlikely. (SeePathophysiology, Presentation, and Workup.)

But each one of these would develop different symptoms. Unlike when they are bitten on the show.

Unless a bite from a walker is like some sort of catalyst which kick-starts the virus that everyone carries.

I haven't read the comics so perhaps Kirkman has offered a plausible explanation for this in the books.

Although what Kirkman says here doesn't mesh: http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Zombies#Reanimation

That would indicate that there should only be a 10-15% infection rate, and the symptoms won't always be the same. It also doesn't explain the super-high fevers that happen very quickly.
  • Lee is going to become a zombie. The protagonist is going to turn into a zombie. Deal with it.
This discussion has been closed.