User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 29.3K users
...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.
681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    Is it April fools day already???

Seriously, what does this MEAN? George Lucas to retire?
  • Actually yes, more or less. From Star Wars, at least.
  • He's staying on as a "Creative Consultant" for new Star Wars films.
  • What does this mean in regards to future availability of the new cuts of Star Wars? I hope they're not forgotten about...
  • Addition to this. Disney also announced Star Wars Episode VII being targeted for a 2015 release date. Yes, the same year that's giving us The Avengers 2 and Justice League.

And Vaina, I had to check my calendar several times to make sure it wasn't April 1st.
  • So if Disney has Lucasarts does this mean a bigger chance of S&M Hit The Road Special Edition,Curse of Monkey Island Special Edition,Escape from Monkey Island Special Edition & Tales of Monkey Island 2 or does it mean we will never see them?
  • So if Disney has Lucasarts does this mean a bigger chance of S&M Hit The Road Special Edition,Curse of Monkey Island Special Edition,Escape from Monkey Island Special Edition & Tales of Monkey Island 2 or does it mean we will never see them?

Well, the deal includes Lucasarts so... nope. No reason to suspect that Lucasarts will change their strategy of "keep a tight death grip on their classic games, adventure or Star Wars".
  • Well, the deal includes Lucasarts so... nope. No reason to suspect that Lucasarts will change their strategy of "keep a tight death grip on their classic games, adventure or Star Wars".

I wouldn't be so sure. They bought Lucasfilm and then immediately announced they were going to make a new official Star Wars film. It doesn't sound like they bought the company to NOT use the properties it owns.
  • Bloody hellfire.
    He's staying on as a "Creative Consultant" for new Star Wars films.

Are they the same new Star Wars films he's been denying he ever planned for the last ten years?
    So if Disney has Lucasarts does this mean a bigger chance of S&M Hit The Road Special Edition,Curse of Monkey Island Special Edition,Escape from Monkey Island Special Edition & Tales of Monkey Island 2

Well, changes at the top of Lucasarts usually herald the cancellation of all adventure game projects, so by my calculations, we're now into less-than-no-chance of TOMI2 and re-releases of the back catalogue.

(Hmm... still, now they've got a chance to do a follow-up to that TV special where the Muppets visit Disneyland.... "Indiana Jones and the Magic Kingdom")
  • Some of my favorite reactions so far on NeoGAF
    Man, Disney is a FORCE to be reckoned with
    Star Wars going into the vault
    Kingdom Hearts 3 will feature Ewoks now
    Star Wars X Marvel gonna happen
    Who's gonna play Captain Kirk
    Mickey Mouse conquering all
Add Comment