User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 19K users
...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.
681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • FitzoliverJ;712586 said:
    Listen, if you're worth more than $4bn, you don't exactly have to work till you're dead. I think ol' George can afford to have a pension.
    Well no, it just sorta comes off like how when a cat knows it's about to die, it tries to find a hidden place to do it. It feels like with him selling star wars, giving most of the money to charity, and pretty much backing off it just feels like he knows his time is soon and he's tying up all the last loose ends.
  • not to mention he donated most of the 4 billion to charity.
  • Chyron8472;712592 said:

I would totally buy a Smash Bros. game where you could use Luke to pwn Mario with the force.
    Disney could make there own decent smash bro clone now with all the stuff they own.
  • Disney also own the Muppets. Think on that for a moment. Star Wars: The Muppet Menace.

There's also the fact that Disney tar and feathers, draws and quarters, hangs by the toenails, and dislocates the elbow, knee, and shoulder joints of anybody who infringes on their properties. They'll guard their new properties (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, ILM, Skywalker Sound, LucasArts, Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, etc) to the very end and never let anybody do anything with them.

Not much of a change I guess, except that now it's worse. At least George allowed Star Wars to be parodied over and over again because he liked to "help smaller studios" because "that's where we used to be". I see those days as over now.
  • Giant Tope;712822 said:
    Well no, it just sorta comes off like how when a cat knows it's about to die, it tries to find a hidden place to do it. It feels like with him selling star wars, giving most of the money to charity, and pretty much backing off it just feels like he knows his time is soon and he's tying up all the last loose ends.
    On that basis, Bill Gates has been dead for years....
  • Yeah, but Bill Gates didn't sell Microsoft to Disney.

Jim Hensen sold the Muppets to Disney as well, just before he died.
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    HelloCthulhu;712834 said:
    not to mention he donated most of the 4 billion to charity.
    1 out of 4 is not "most". ;)
    MusicallyInspired;713207 said:
    Jim Hensen sold the Muppets to Disney as well, just before he died.
    The Muppets were sold to Disney 14 years AFTER Jim Henson died. According to the Wikipedia though, Jim was about to sign a contract selling the Muppets to Disney the week after he died.
  • Does this mean there will be a Darth Pete?
  • Vainamoinen;713222 said:
    1 out of 4 is not "most". ;)

The Muppets were sold to Disney 14 years AFTER Jim Henson died. According to the Wikipedia though, Jim was about to sign a contract selling the Muppets to Disney the week after he died.
    The "Star Wars" director will donate the $4.05 billion he will receive from the sale of Lucasfilm Ltd. to Disney to a foundation focused on education, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
Add Comment