User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 19.1K users
...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.
681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I don't want Vader to return! They already humiliated him by making him a bland weenie in the prequels.
  • He could return as a ghost played by Hayden Christensen!

• Okay, I'm calling it!

Star Wars Episode VII: Attack of the Jedi Clones
  • I don't want him back either, but let's be honest. From a marketing standpoint, Darth Vader is the poster-man for Star Wars and because his face his behind a mask, he can be virtually any actor. Whereas Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher can no longer put their faces forward and say that they're Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Leia Organa. And I don't think CGI'ing the actors faces, ala Tron Legacy, is the answer. Mainly because there's not enough CGI in the world to make poor Carrie look young and beautiful again. So yeah. Maybe not from a story-telling standpoint, but Vader DOES make perfect sense from a marketing standpoint.

EDIT: Coolsome, Luke was a bland weenie in the first movie too, or need I bring up "But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power convertors!"? The difference is everyone built up their own vision of what pre-suit Vader was like, and Lucas didn't match our visions. And Hayden's acting didn't help much.
  • I declared it after that stupid Yuuzhan Vong storyline, but this franchise is dead to me. DEAD.
  • DAISHI;720312 said:
    I declared it after that stupid Yuuzhan Vong storyline, but this franchise is dead to me. DEAD.
    Because of a rumor? A rumor from a British tabloid, no less?
  • Shadowknight1;720276 said:
    EDIT: Coolsome, Luke was a bland weenie in the first movie too, or need I bring up "But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power convertors!"? The difference is everyone built up their own vision of what pre-suit Vader was like, and Lucas didn't match our visions. And Hayden's acting didn't help much.
    He's not that bland if you mentally insert this scene somewhere at the beginning of the movie.
  • Shadowknight1;720356 said:
    Because of a rumor? A rumor from a British tabloid, no less?
    Well, technically speaking, because of the Yuuzhan Vong :P
  • I liked the Yuuzhan Vong storyline. Quite a bit, actually. It was the next one that ruined the novel continuity.
  • DAISHI;720379 said:
    Well, technically speaking, because of the Yuuzhan Vong :P
    The wha?

Seriously, I don't read past the Hand of Thrawn duology. They killed Chewie. It doesn't deserve to be read.
Add Comment