User Avatar Image

Pros and Cons of Bone

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 5K users
I thought it would be a good idea to write what we liked about Bone..and what we didn't like..

B-)
69 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    Length of game, you hit it right on the head.

I was stunned and could not believe how short the game was, It was so short I'm not sure if it should be CALLED a game. For 20$ I vote... RIP OFF, MOST DEMOS ARE LONGER THAN THIS WHOLE GAME!
    I've got every single book of Bone and I love the story and charactors. To be honest I feel cheated which is sad because I was looking forward to the other episodes. But will not be getting them.
    In parting ... Enjoy my 20$ it will be the last.
  • Dialog is very important in an adventure game, moreso than in Final Fantasy, and to me the voice acting in an adventure game, even for the most minor character, is very important, and shouldn't be shortchanged and substituted with "cheaply produced jibberish." Perhaps that's just a personal thing, but even story-heavy games like Final Fantasy and KOTOR aren't necessarily story-driven and I feel that if a certain aspect of the game has to suffer for Bone 2 to be longer, that shouldn't be it.

Also I think your suggestion that the game will magically be two hours longer if minor characters aren't uniquely voiced is a little crazy. Voice work obviously can't be the top priority when outlining a budget, but I think your idea of the cost in terms of how it affects the gameplay is a little off. Plus, money, while certainly one of the most significant isn't the only factor that would make Bone short. The company is still small and their schedule tight. I don't much like the idea of stretching the game's quality thin just to gain more hours. But hey, this is just me getting my voice in.

And revisiting old locations if done properly can be rewarding and smart, your scepticism of the suggestion does a disservice to the wizards at Telltale. I believe if anyone can make it work they can.
    My skepticism is not meant to disservice anyone. I think if anyone can make a game without sacrificing its quality, they can. I'm sure they'll take every measure they can to recycle resources and make the game great within a tight buget.

Man, I get all my ranting done here, don't I? But that's what this thread's for. :)
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    Dialog is very important in an adventure game, moreso than in Final Fantasy, and to me the voice acting in an adventure game, even for the most minor character, is very important, and shouldn't be shortchanged and substituted with "cheaply produced jibberish." Perhaps that's just a personal thing, but even story-heavy games like Final Fantasy and KOTOR aren't necessarily story-driven and I feel that if a certain aspect of the game has to suffer for Bone 2 to be longer, that shouldn't be it.
    Dubbing Smubbing, bring on the text! The best adventure game ever produced still remains to be Monkey Island and it has never been dubbed. Obviously to appeal to this noob generation it requires dubbing, but I was simply suggesting that if triple A titles can get away with not dubbing every character and looping jibberish, despite being a different genre then people will forgive Telltale especially being a niche independant developer. (and whats this nonsense about RPG's not being story driven bah, play PlaneScape Torment).
    Also I think your suggestion that the game will magically be two hours longer if minor characters aren't uniquely voiced is a little crazy. Voice work obviously can't be the top priority when outlining a budget, but I think your idea of the cost in terms of how it affects the gameplay is a little off. Plus, money, while certainly one of the most significant isn't the only factor that would make Bone short.
    As I said, I have no figures to confirm or deny the cost of voice actors for Telltale. However if not dubbing every character (or at least not every line) could lead to extended gameplay than I am all for it. Take PlaneScape Torment for example, it had over 1 million lines of dialogue and is one of the most immersive games ever made. Black Isle studios only dubbed major events, if the script was limited to only what they could afford to dub, then the game would of only had a couple of thousand lines (if that!).
    The company is still small and their schedule tight. I don't much like the idea of stretching the game's quality thin just to gain more hours. But hey, this is just me getting my voice in.
    Indeed, but if it really does come down to it, I would rather stretch the game to gain more hours and have Telltale open for the next 50 years than have a four hour game and Telltale only last another 12 months from lack of interest in the short games they produce. Again, I think it is a faux suggestion that they have to noticebly decrease quality to increase content. I think they can be cleverer than that.
    My skepticism is not meant to disservice anyone. I think if anyone can make a game without sacrificing its quality, they can. I'm sure they'll take every measure they can to recycle resources and make the game great within a tight buget.
    I agree, but Telltales original vision was to produce these episodic 4 hour games to keep them financed. Without our complaints they will keep producing 4 hour titles. And quite frankly for $20 I dont feel that is value for money, and I think many others share that belief. Im happy for you if you believe the content is appropriate for the $ value (in fact I am jealous).
  • Having fully voiced characters has nothing to do with appealing to the "noob" generation. Monkey Island took advantage of the technology it had at the time, just like Bone should to the extent that they can. The general idea of making a game as if it were 15 years ago is lame.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    Having fully voiced characters has nothing to do with appealing to the "noob" generation. Monkey Island took advantage of the technology it had at the time, just like Bone should to the extent that they can. The general idea of making a game as if it were 15 years ago is lame.
    I am not suggesting they not dub the game, clearly they have to, to appeal to the current market. Nor am I suggesting they make a game like it was 15 years ago, dont pretend I argued that, thats a straw man arguement.

What I am suggesting is the consumers of this year and most likely of the next several years will accept not fully dubbed scripts and characters (made more so because this is an indy developer). Besides the obvious benefit of having larger and more complex scripts / conversation trees and directing more fund's to developing content instead of paying voice actors, is more content can fit. Telltale have made a pledge for now to keep their games no larger than 50 meg's and have said certain locations and models (winter) had to be taken out of the first game because of the space limitations. Perhaps cutting back on some dubbing could allow them to squeeze more content into the 50 megs (or perhaps not, again I have no data).

However ideally every character and every line be dubbed, I am not disputing that. But if cuts must be made to increase the depth and breath, (if the current crop of games are anything to go by) the consumer is prepared to make that sacrifice.

Again this is just one suggestion, i'm sure the talented people at Telltale and the creative people of this forum could suggest better methodolgy than I ever could that allows them to expand their content while still being a sustainable business.
  • I am not suggesting they not dub the game, clearly they have to, to appeal to the current market.
    Again, appeal to the current market? This suggests a few things about why you think voice acting in adventure games exist.

Anyway, I didn't mean for this to turn into a voice acting debate, because in the long run it's of course secondary to the game itself - personally I found the voice acting in Out from Boneville to be one of the game's strengths, and it would be a shame to give it less attention in the future. Basically I think you're blaming the wrong thing for Bone's short length. Size is certainly a factor, but if you'd take a look at the Bone data on your hard drive, I think the size of the individual voice files may address some of your concerns. If your ears didn't notice playing the game, they compressed the hell out of them for the download size.
    Nor am I suggesting they make a game like it was 15 years ago, dont pretend I argued that, thats a straw man arguement.[/b]
    When you use a term like "noob generation," it's difficult to avoid mistakes in interpretation.
    What I am suggesting is the consumers of this year and most likely of the next several years will accept not fully dubbed scripts and characters (made more so because this is an indy developer). Besides the obvious benefit of having larger and more complex scripts / conversation trees and directing more fund's to developing content instead of paying voice actors, is more content can fit. Telltale have made a pledge for now to keep their games no larger than 50 meg's and have said certain locations and models (winter) had to be taken out of the first game because of the space limitations.
    I'd like to know if any of the scripts in Out from Boneville had to be truncated because of voice actor costs or space limitations. And yes, winter scenes weren't used because of space limitations, but I don't see how it's directly because of voice files. It's all the various factors combined that present the challenge. It just sounds like you're saying that because you don't particularly mind losing VO it's the general viewpoint of the consumer. But you do, after all, have to be careful around me and my overwrought rhetoric BS.

Blah, I've said how I feel about voice acting - it's highly important. There is no doubt that how Telltale handles the second Bone game will be interesting to see. They've promised a longer game, but with a similar schedule and file size as Out from Boneville, what will have to suffer?
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    Again, appeal to the current market?
    Without passing judgement; Sound, Music, Graphics, 3D Graphics, Full Motion Video are examples of technology that have slowly emerged. Certain genre leaders introduced (or at least pinoneered) these technologies as gimicks and it slowly raised the level of expectations of the consumer when it comes to presentation. Clearly to appeal to the current market, they must atleast appeal to there level of expectations.
    I'd like to know if any of the scripts in Out from Boneville had to be truncated because of voice actor costs or space limitations.
    I doubt they were, Telltale hit their target length exactly, im confident the writers knew the limitations posed on the script before writing it. But thats beside the point, I am toying with the idea that by not requireing dubbing the writers have a chance to really flesh out the story (a common criticism I have seen in this thread).
    And yes, winter scenes weren't used because of space limitations, but I don't see how it's directly because of voice files.
    Of course I wasnt suggesting that winter was taken out because of a direct result of including voice files, another straw man.
    It's all the various factors combined that present the challenge. It just sounds like you're saying that because you don't particularly mind losing VO it's the general viewpoint of the consumer.
    Here is our great failing. I am not suggesting my viewpoint is the view of "the consumer", I am arguing that the consumers level of expectations does not necessarily imply the full script be dubbed, by citing other genre leaders as examples such as FFX and KoToR.
    They've promised a longer game, but with a similar schedule and file size as Out from Boneville, what will have to suffer?
    Have they, got a link? If this is true, then my work here is done.
  • Check various interviews. They've said they're aiming for a Spring 2006 release for episode two (with an average of 5-6 months between episodes). That would make the schedule fairly close in size to the first episode. And here they say future episodes will be longer.
    [quote]And yes, winter scenes weren't used because of space limitations, but I don't see how it's directly because of voice files.
    Of course I wasnt suggesting that winter was taken out because of a direct result of including voice files, another straw man.[/quote]

What? You made a direct connection between the space limitations caused by voices and the lack of winter scenes. Are you hoping that if you keep asserting something it will be true?
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    Check various interviews. They've said they're aiming for a Spring 2006 release for episode two (with an average of 5-6 months between episodes). That would make the schedule fairly close in size to the first episode. And here they say future episodes will be longer.
    Excellent, thanks.

"Many gamers have complained about the short length of Bone: Out from Boneville. Will the next episodes be longer?

Yes"
    hehe, touchy, arent they, lol. I await the next game then. ^^
    What? You made a direct connection between the space limitations caused by voices and the lack of winter scenes. Are you hoping that if you keep asserting something it will be true?
    I never suggested there was a direct correlation between the lack of winter scenes and the appearence of dubbing. I suggested that perhaps (or perhaps not) removing some dubbing could allow for more content.... thats very different to making a definitive assertion that by chosing to dub the game, winter was cancelled. I would never argue such foolishness.

At any rate, its semantical argument at best.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    okay I finally finished the game!! hey i been busy..and you may as well make the game last..

I have to say I only really enjoyed it when I played it with my 7 year old nephew and 5 year old niece.. by myself it was way too easy having a difficulty level of 2 out of 6 is just not a game I like to play..I want to be challenged.. Playing with kids tho is fun..they found the game really funny and really enjoyed it and it was a great experience playing with them

PROS!

voice acting
    controls/movement
    in game help hints
    great game to play with children
    digital download..quick and easy
    price(australian $25..games retail for $100 here)
    the inventory was back
    dialogue tree(the conversations with all the characters was first class, and the different options was great! then being able to talk with multiple characters at a dinner table..i mean that was really putting yourself into the game for an interesting choice of conversation!! loved it)
    graphics( i though the characters looked pretty good in 3d)
    mini games(i did enjoy as a break the hide n seek game..and the puzzle to get across the river)

CONS
    too short! way too short..
    too easy! for an adventure game I cant really play a game thats rated 2 out of 6
    wasn't a great use of inventory items(didnt have many 2 use)
    stuck too much to the source material
    the scenes/enevironments did not have enough to play with.. I want to explore a world didnt get much chance to do that when i could only click or look at or use about 3 or 4 things in one location
    mini games( well running away from the enemy with the mouse really did not do it for me..)

Overall

I understand Telltale want to tell more stories..and that is certainly lacking in todays gaming.. but i think they need more balance.. The game was a lot story not much game.. I'd really like to see more things to do or something I could attempt to do in the next game.. The difficulty level won't have me rushing out to buy the next installment..i will get it for my nephew tho he cant wait to play the next one
Add Comment