User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 20.1K users
...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.
681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, yeah. And that was way before Disney had anything at all to do with either of them
  • spazjoonk;737431 said:
    I couldn't be more happier with this. George Lucas had a great idea but he's had nothing but fail since Return of the Jedi. This IP is long overdue for a proper re-boot ... not a re-skin.
    Except we're not getting a reboot. We're getting sequels.
  • BlankCanvasDJ;735972 said:
    Disney has had Star Wars characters in their parks since they first put in the Star Tours rides. And Hollywood Studios has had Star Wars Weekends there every year for a long time now. The Goofy/Jar-Jar thing isn't new. Neither is having them in the commercials.

I'm particularly fond of the Goofy/Cad Bane mashup.

No R2?
  • There's actually a rumor that the Star Wars episode of Muppet Show was keeping the DVD from release, so maybe we'll finally get Seasons 4 and 5! :)
  • Chyron8472;737502 said:
    No R2?

There are a lot more.
  • Well, another of the rumored possible directors for Episode VII has bowed out, Colin Trevorrow. Dunno who he is, but it's looking like a lot of directors are a bit nervous about taking on the task of directing Star Wars. Honestly, with the way a lot of Star Trek fans are still acting about J.J. Abrams' reboot, I can't say I blame them.
  • Shadowknight1;737922 said:
    Well, another of the rumored possible directors for Episode VII has bowed out, Colin Trevorrow.
    Did anyone really consider him in the running?

The new rumor going around is that they're signing Matthew Vaughn. Vaughn recently dropped out of directing the sequel to X-Men First Class. Maybe this is the reason.

Personally, I think he'd be a good choice. He seems to have a knack for making a big FX movie seem grounded and he could bring a little bit of edge back into the franchise. If he sticks around. He also has a habit of agreeing to big budget projects and then dropping out.
  • spazjoonk;737431 said:
    I couldn't be more happier with this. George Lucas had a great idea but he's had nothing but fail since Return of the Jedi. This IP is long overdue for a proper re-boot ... not a re-skin.
    I think you missed the news...they are not re-booting it, they are making new sequels.
  • HelloCthulhu;739155 said:
    I think you missed the news...they are not re-booting it, they are making new sequels.
    Has this been absolutely confirmed? Even if it's technically a sequel, I would consider a movie with Luke in anything less than a supporting role (ie, a short cameo or less) to be a reboot.
  • mosfet;742765 said:
    Has this been absolutely confirmed? Even if it's technically a sequel, I would consider a movie with Luke in anything less than a supporting role (ie, a short cameo or less) to be a reboot.
    They screenwriter said that he wrote a full treatment wrapping up the story of the skywalkers for the first new episode before moving on to the new story, so yes, its a legitimate sequel.
Add Comment