User Avatar Image

Statute of Limitations on Spoilers

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 740 users
I've seen this come up a few times on this board - and pretty much everywhere else on the internet - so I'm curious. How long do you think something needs to exist before spoiler alerts are no longer required? I mean, I think we can all agree that we can talk about the ending of, say, Planet of the Apes at this point without having the put spoiler tags around it, but where is the line drawn? A year? Five? Ten?

What's the statute of limitations for spoilers?
42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • MusicallyInspired;738302 said:
    I've never seen Citizen Kane or even know what it's about.
    Well what are you waiting for?
    An old dude is obsessed with his girlfriends vagina.

That was the real rosebud, people. Just saying.
    Me neither. My only knowledge of the film is that T's in black an white, and supposedly fairly decent.
  • Vainamoinen;738285 said:
    Question answered on page one, eight pages of post slutting to follow?
    Dude spoiler warning!
  • Friar;738412 said:
    Me neither. My only knowledge of the film is that T's in black an white, and supposedly fairly decent.
    Sure, some would say the greatest American movie ever made, but "fairly decent" works too. :p
  • DAISHI;738088 said:
    If it's more than a year old the statute is up.
    Let me know what shows over a year old you haven't seen yet but want to. List games and movies too if applicable. I'll send you a nice PM.
  • BlankCanvasDJ;738670 said:
    Sure, some would say the greatest American movie ever made, but "fairly decent" works too. :p
    Which is probably the biggest barrier to it being enjoyed, honestly. People who don't understand cinematography, who don't know the context of the film, who don't understand what it pioneered may go straight to it, watch it, and completely miss what's entirely special about it.

This is a movie that is EXTREMELY layered and well-crafted. Roger Ebert actually has an excellent commentary track on the DVD and Blu-Ray releases of the film(from before he lost his voice, obviously) where he helps outline what this film did and why it's considered so great without requiring a semester of Film History 101.
  • Problem is the commentary track is not available on the German version of the DVD.

Edit: ordered the UK version. Let's hope the commentary track is on it.
  • der_ketzer;739274 said:
    Edit: ordered the UK version. Let's hope the commentary track is on it.
    It seems like the set for the UK has a commentary I haven't heard, by "Film historian Ken Barnes"
Add Comment