User Avatar Image

Ben's Point Is That He Has No Point

posted by Textbook on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users
As others have observed, Ben is a puzzling character. He's the classic underdog, a well-meaning but incompetent loser who's used to being overlooked and under-rated. I, like a lot of players, disliked him and wished quite often that he had died where Mark did and found him useless but I kept him alive in episode 4 because I knew that in episode 5 he would do something awesome to redeem himself and reward you for sticking with him.

Yet of course, he not only dies anyway, but dies in a trivial way and takes Kenny, who was relatively useful, with him. His moment never comes.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but is Ben's role to teach us a lesson about the world of The Walking Dead, that people can live short and painful lives without hokey Hollywood moments? Is the point of Ben's life that in Kirkman's world, characters don't necessarily have a point or grand destiny, they just live and die however the dice land?
30 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Eh, I was thinking that his death in episode 5 was to set in the realistic tone of TWD. If we saved Ben in episode 4, we were all hoping that we'd get a heroic death with him in episode 5. Didn't happen.
  • Zeruis;743135 said:
    Eh, I was thinking that his death in episode 5 was to set in the realistic tone of TWD. If we saved Ben in episode 4, we were all hoping that we'd get a heroic death with him in episode 5. Didn't happen.
    I was hoping he wouldn't be heroic on purpose. I thought he might just accidentally get a horde's attention (Specifically one chasing Lee and his group), and get chased off into the unknown.
  • Ghositex;743070 said:
    You go to the morgue to find Vernon and his group with the people following you at the end of episode 4; then you get back to the mansion and rejoin the group (or just get to there, if everyone came with you)
    Wow... is this true even if you go alone?
  • Hplikelike: Doesn't matter who goes with you or who doesn't. Pathway is identical. The game is on rails.
  • Textbook;743271 said:
    Hplikelike: Doesn't matter who goes with you or who doesn't. Pathway is identical. The game is on rails.
    Ok, I just thought the last episode was different... because it was the last episode so they could do things differently.
  • Zeruis;743135 said:
    Eh, I was thinking that his death in episode 5 was to set in the realistic tone of TWD. If we saved Ben in episode 4, we were all hoping that we'd get a heroic death with him in episode 5. Didn't happen.
    I didn't want Ben to do something heroic. I wanted him to survive.
  • I'm glad I saved him. Kenny dying for the sake of Christina going for a radio? Meh. Kenny dying to help the guy who he treat like crap for the past week? Much better.

I expected my decision to save him to bite me in the arse, but never really did.
  • Arbitrator;743448 said:
    I'm glad I saved him. Kenny dying for the sake of Christina going for a radio? Meh. Kenny dying to help the guy who he treat like crap for the past week? Much better.

I expected my decision to save him to bite me in the arse, but never really did.
    It did if we remove meta-knowledge from the equation. If you didn't know Kenny was doomed either way, then it looks like bringing Ben doomed Kenny.
This discussion has been closed.