User Avatar Image

Steam Keys.

posted by MovieGuy on - last edited - Viewed by 998 users
I just want to know why TTG doesn't give steam keys with the purchases on their website? Surely the bandwidth they save would make up for whatever it costs to generate a steam key.
15 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Ash735;759267 said:
    We got Steam Keys for The Devil's Playhouse and Poker Night.
    or The Walking Dead...

The reason is here you also get a "free of charge" DVD with your purchase. If they make one.
    Also what would stop you from selling those keys or giving them to your friends? You still got the version from here no matter what you do with your Steam key.
    And don't say that this would not happen. It already has. Because people are scumbags.
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    der_ketzer;759332 said:
    The reason is here you also get a "free of charge" DVD with your purchase. If they make one.
    Well... I think that's a service of yesteryear. :(
  • Ash735;759267 said:
    We got Steam Keys for The Devil's Playhouse and Poker Night.
    What now? I got the Poker Night one, but I assume this isn't available anymore...
  • MusicallyInspired;759469 said:
    What now? I got the Poker Night one, but I assume this isn't available anymore...
    Poker Night provided Steam keys because it was a partnership with Valve and unlocking TF2 hats was a big part of the appeal for a lot of people.

Pre-orders of Devil's Playhouse got a Steam key because there were complaints about the Devil's Playhouse pre-order items not being given out to Telltale pre-orders, and they decided the easiest way to grant the hats to Telltale store pre-orders was to give pre-order codes for the season with a Telltale pre-order.

Both of these are situation-specific special cases that exist entirely due to the way Valve handles the doling out of TF2 hats.
    This should still work.
    Edit: no it gives you an "Oh Crumbs"
    Poker Night steam keys are still available at http://www.telltalegames.com/tf2unlocks
  • But, they could do with the discs what alot of devs do with retail. Link it to the steam key.
  • Games in retail that come with Steam keys are Steamworks games. Which means you can only play them on Steam. It's not a bonus, it's the only way to play it. TTG's games on their site are not Steamworks games. They connect to their own servers. In the case of their disc releases, they are DRM free. They could offer a Steam key as well, but that's not the same thing as other retail games with Steam keys and would be like giving away two copies of the game. Not every game dev likes to do that.
  • MovieGuy;759709 said:
    But, they could do with the discs what alot of devs do with retail. Link it to the steam key.
    No they cannot. They are a small indie studio.
    There are retail discs but those are published by someone else.
    MusicallyInspired;759714 said:
    Games in retail that come with Steam keys are Steamworks games. Which means you can only play them on Steam.
    Limbo and The Binding Of Isaac both have optional Steam keys in their retail version. Then again the retail edition costs more than twice what the game does on Steam.
Add Comment