User Avatar Image

TWD crash on connecting

posted by halldorr on - last edited - Viewed by 8.3K users
Picked up a copy of TWD for my wife on Steam as I loved the game but she just can't play the damn thing. We have identical computers as far as hardware goes and it ran just fine for me.

Here are the things we've pulled from the forums and tried so far:

1) Played with compatibility sittings, tried them all but no luck
2) Set run as administrator, no luck, set to all users, no luck
3) Tried replacing a DLL here and there as suggested, no luck
4) We don't have controllers but we pulled all USB stuff one by one, no luck
5) Disable internet connection - this appeared to work

Is there a fix to this? I'd like her to be able to play as the game intended and have the Steam sync work properly for her without having to always disabling her internet connection.

We're both on Windows 7 64bit and we connect tot he web through a home router. Seems odd that it would crash on connecting but that is where we seem to have an issue every time.
151 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Still crashes - And the game made a new save folder
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    Thanks. Taking a break, and then I'll see if i can see something in the new file.
    By the way, impressive that Rar even compressed it to 5%.
  • Thanks so much man ^.^ i'll be waiting for more news
  • I'll be damned =O

Updated BIOS and it started to work =O

Thank you SOOOO MUCH! DjNDB!!! I have no words to thank you enough! For all the guidance, as without it i am most certain i would've broken my PC and wouldn't have got anything to work in the end! Thanks a lot for the effort to help! Works like a charm!
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    perilomo;761649 said:
    I'll be damned =O

Updated BIOS and it started to work =O

Thank you SOOOO MUCH! DjNDB!!! I have no words to thank you enough! For all the guidance, as without it i am most certain i would've broken my PC and wouldn't have got anything to work in the end! Thanks a lot for the effort to help! Works like a charm!
    That's great. I am glad i could help.
  • Can PM me anytime if you need any testings to do ;)

Aaand if you want i can make a process monitor again just for the sake of comparing... But i believe it would be just useless any ways XD

Yeah just saying =P
  • Digging up this old support thread but my wife is still unable to play. Crashes on clicking continue to play and only works when disabling the internet. I've uploaded a support_data_pc.zip from her machine though.
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    halldorr;798023 said:
    Digging up this old support thread but my wife is still unable to play. Crashes on clicking continue to play and only works when disabling the internet. I've uploaded a support_data_pc.zip from her machine though.
    So far updating the BIOS helped a couple of people, so i suggest you install the latest BIOS from the Dell website.

Earlier you said you had two computers with identical hardware. If you also post the dxdiag of the computer it works on i could check if there's any notable difference.
  • The one from my computer is here.

Really hesitant to update the BIOS but I guess if it has to be done...
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    Your both PCs have different BIOS versions.

Working: BIOS Date: 06/20/11 08:28:53 Ver: 04.06.04
    Broken: BIOS Date: 10/17/11 11:18:49 Ver: 04.06.04

I would just try installing all BIOS versions from new to old until one works.
This discussion has been closed.