User Avatar Image

In what year does the game take place?

posted by Abecedario on - last edited - Viewed by 788 users
The first issue of the comic was released in 2003, but I am reading The Rise of the Governor right now and they mention stuff like Facebook or Twitter. What do you ladies think?
34 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Platinumb;762823 said:
    So the LCD box was another boo-boo?
    I'd also add Jolene's pocket sized video camera as another anachronism. Most handheld cameras in 2003 still used regular tapes and even if there were tiny memory card cameras they certainly wouldn't be a "cheapie" in 2003.
  • DreadMagus;762847 said:
    2003 would be my guess.
    Then why was the Governor checking facebook on his Blackberry. I know it's from the book but it's supposed to be the same universe.
  • Abecedario;762880 said:
    Then why was the Governor checking facebook on his Blackberry.
    He didn't.

Unless you're talking about the TV Show - which is it's own universe.

Edit - wait, you're talking about the book? Hell if I know - I'd always read/heard it started when the comic started.
  • DreadMagus;762883 said:
    He didn't.

Unless you're talking about the TV Show - which is it's own universe.
    No, I'm talking about The Rise of the Governor.
  • Yeah, figured that and edited above.
  • Yeah the TVs being sold across from the drug store would suggest the early 2000s.
  • Rise of the Governor takes place in 2011, I believe. The year was never mentioned in the comics. I think Kirkman had intended for TWD to take place when it was written, but changed it to be current with the Rise of the Governor novel. Kirkman said the novels, comics and video game are all canon, so that would suggest the game takes place in 2011.
  • Personally, I think Kirkman "changes" things on a whim whenever it sounds good.
  • How come we never see any cell phones?
  • Tazzle27;762978 said:
    How come we never see any cell phones?
    No power. No way to charge cell phones.
This discussion has been closed.