User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 19.1K users
...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.
681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Shadowknight1;765704 said:
    ...No offense, but you apparently don't know much about J.J. Abrams. Watch some of the making of stuff for Star Trek. The aliens in that movie were NOT CGI. And in fact, they tried to make things as practical as possible.
    I always forget that movie exists. And that's fair, and probably a better idea of what he'll do than the one I thought of: Super 8. But let's be fair. If JJ Abrahams made Star Wars: Return of the Jedi today, the Sarlacc and the Rancor would have both been CGI'd up the wazoo and ugly, shitty designs. Let's not forget the giant thing in Star Trek on the ice planet that looked a whole hell of a lot like the Super 8 alien and Cloverfield monster....but red....and with a weird mouth.
  • I suppose there was the cloverfield-ish snow monster on the ice planet. Wouldn't be surprised to see something like that arbitrarily pop up.

Edit: awww ninja.

I don't think a CGI Rancor would look much worse than the stop-motion Rancor did. JJ does tend to use hideous CGI beasts but at least he has the sense to only show them sparingly.
  • ...any chance of changing this thread's title to Disney Buys Lucasfilms (and other stories)?
  • Darth Marsden;765718 said:
    There were aliens? Aside from the green-skinned chick Kirk made out with and the little sidekick Scotty had, all I saw were humans with pointy ears.

For one. Most of them were cameos, essentially, but there were aliens.
  • Shadowknight1;765743 said:

For one. Most of them were cameos, essentially, but there were aliens.
    To be fair...it's not like Lucas himself wasn't overindulging CGI creations. And CGI has made significant progress.
  • I'm not saying it hasn't. But I can't see a CGI version of that particular alien officer looking quite as good as the prosthetics do there.
  • Ribs;765740 said:
    ...any chance of changing this thread's title to Disney Buys Lucasfilms (and other stories)?
    No.
  • Secret Fawful;765746 said:
    To be fair...it's not like Lucas himself wasn't overindulging CGI creations. And CGI has made significant progress.
    This. Especially the idea that Lucas was already CGI'ing the crap out of Star Wars and everyone hated him for it. I'd think Abrams is aware of this.
  • Darth Marsden;765775 said:
    No.
    Hooray! I'm still disappointed that the Coulson thread got renamed without it, so this has made up for it.
  • They've officially confirmed that Spotty McGee and the Fun-time Preposition Police will be directing this, now.
Add Comment