User Avatar Image

The Great Sherlock Thread

posted by Ribs on - last edited - Viewed by 9.8K users
Oh, hello, I didn't see you there!

You either clicked on this thread for one of three reasons. You either;
A. Was curious about it's contents and had no interest in the topic.
B. Thought this thread was discussing the Ritchie films
or C. Wished to discuss the masterful BBC and PBS produced 'Sherlock' series, ran by Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat and starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.

[CENTER]image[/CENTER]

If you chose Option C, you are correct! That's right, the fantastic adventures of Sherlock and Dr. Watson shall continue starting New Years Day on BBC1 and each Sunday thereafter for a whopping three further weeks (insert 'Wow! Three Whole Weeks!'s)

If you've yet to experience the pure joy of the first series, it is available on Netflix streaming and on DVD (Amazon: US and UK).

Now then, let's get to the discussion, eh! Why not start with some thoughts on the first episode, Steven Moffat's "A Study in Pink"?
248 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • No no, nothing like that. They [Spoiler]make him a villain who hires Vinnie Jones to hang 36 people upside down and slit their throats. Oh, and apparently Moriarty killed Irene, whom Sherlock was absolutely smitten with.[/Spoiler]
  • Alcoremortis;764275 said:
    Also, I feel that in the spirit of this thread, I should mention that I watched The Great Mouse Detective last night. It was brilliant
    It is a *superb* film (although the... ahem, nightclub act is even iffier than the nice young girls who greet David Tomlinson in "Bedknobs and Broomsticks") - why they never did a sequel when they were doing all those bad straight-to-DVD movies, I will never know. Vincent Price also cited Ratigan as one of his favourite roles of his career.
  • I adore The great Mouse Detective, but I can't imagine a sequel having a hope of living up to it.
  • Yeah. For a moment I was thinking that a TV show would have been interesting, but they wouldn't have been able to keep the gorgeous backgrounds for a show and that was one of the great contributing factors to the movie's excellence. I will have to stick to fanfiction if I want more Basil of Baker Street.
  • Alcoremortis;764608 said:
    I will have to stick to fanfiction if I want more Basil of Baker Street.
    What are the original stories that the movie was based on like? I notice on Amazon that there is now also a Solar Pons-figure to Basil's Sherlock.

(In other news, first episode of "Elementary" on Pick TV last night, finally. Not worth waiting for. Not bothered they aren't showing the rest).
  • About Elementary... it does get MUCH better after the first episode. It's really not a good start to the show.

I believe the books were much shorter and Ratigan wasn't nearly as... nice? Presentable. He didn't have the arc from the movie, he was just... a rat.
  • Darth Marsden;765898 said:
    About Elementary... it does get MUCH better after the first episode. It's really not a good start to the show.
    Of course like any sane person watching any show ever I watched Episode Two first.
  • Ribs;765904 said:
    Of course like any sane person watching any show ever I watched Episode Two first.
    Even if a show starts on a 2 parter?
  • coolsome;765905 said:
    Even if a show starts on a 2 parter?
    Well then it's not two episodes, it's just a double-length pilot. :)
  • Darth Marsden;765908 said:
    Well then it's not two episodes, it's just a double-length pilot. :)
    The worst is the 4 part "movie" pilot.
Add Comment