Telltale Autumn Sale

Choices you changed on a replay

zjszjs
edited February 2013 in The Walking Dead
So, as the title says.

Which choices did you make the first time around that you later changed on your second or third play through of the game?

-

My example would probably be handing out the food in the motel during episode II.

First time around:

First to receive food was Clem, for obvious reasons

Next was Ducky, because, as much as I wasn't a huge fan, he was still just a kid and I thought it'd win Kenny's approval (it did)

After this, I fed Carley, as I liked her

Finally, I decided to feed Larry. This wasn't out of any sense of liking him so much as it was keeping my enemies close. Mark didn't seem best pleased (he was standing right next to him). The game rewarded me with a 'you made a difficult decision'. I thought it would win Lily's approval, but it didn't seem to.

Mark received nothing as, although he complained the most and was introduced a little earlier, I had no idea who he was. Same with Ben. Kenny and Katjaa would understand me giving food to the kids, I felt, and thus would be OK without being fed.

Next time around:

Once again, Clem and Duck will be first.

After this will be Kenny. This is simply because I knew he'll be sticking around for a long time, and has a tendency to remember everything.

Finally will be Ben as, once again, I know he's in it for the long haul.

I'll be interested in seeing how people react to me feeding the newcomer before them.

Comments

  • edited February 2013
    On my first playthrough I fed Clem, Duck, Kenny, and Ben in that order. Clem and Duck were kids, Kenny was my bro, and I struggled with the last piece for a good few minutes. I finally decided to give it to Ben because he was an unknown, and I felt he'd be with us for awhile. I thought of it as kind of like "Hey, you're new and all, but we aren't all like Lilly was. We're good people, and we'll take care of you if you stick around."

    Of course, the events of Episodes 3 and 4 made me think I should have given that cheese and crackers to someone else. Possibly myself.
  • edited February 2013
    First playthrought: Clem,Duck,Mark,Lee

    Second playthrought: Clem,Duck,Mark,Carley
  • zjszjs
    edited February 2013
    To clarify, it can be other scenes as well. That was just my example.
  • edited February 2013
    My first playthrough I tried to save Larry. Next playthroughs, though, I dropped it on his head on purpose. First playthrough I let Lilly back in RV, but next two I left her butt on the side the road. First playthrough I threatened Ben, afterwards I became more friendly since I knew his intentions. First playthrough I killed Danny, but replayed it to not make Clem upset :D. First playthrough I threatened to kill him if he came between me and Clementine, but rewound it to just stay silent, and therefore not piss him off. In my playthroughs I made multiple endings as to Lee's fate just in case there is something involving him later on or that impacts Clem's later descisions.
  • edited February 2013
    To be honest, I did the same thing both times.

    Granted, I only replayed because a bug ate my saves so I had to replay 1-4 again before playing 5.
  • edited February 2013
    zjs wrote: »
    To clarify, it can be other scenes as well. That was just my example.

    Too late.

    I've feed everything to everyone on multiple playthroughs and I've come to the conclusion that apples are apparently the best thing ever invented. I mean, I like apples too and I understand that fresh fruit carries a lot of nourishment, but no one gives a shit about the beef jerky? People need protein as well and I figured someone like Larry or Kenny might prefer that to an apple.

    But nope, everyone wants the damn apple. Everyone but Lilly and Kenny say something different if you give them the damn apple. Carley and Doug won't accept anything else even. Ben looks like you just told him Santa has come when you give him the apple. :confused:

    That aside, I let Lilly back in the R.V. on my first playthrough and now generally always leave her behind and tell the Stranger she deserved it on replays. I also fed her on my first play through too and I regret that as well, so now I make sure to call her asshole in Macon on replays.

    I also flip flop a lot on killing the Stranger. I couldn't bring myself to kill him the first time, now it's just seems to depend on my mood. I mean part of me does still feel sorry for him. Lost everything, was a alone and starving in the woods, went crazy and fixated on Clementine, a lot like Jolene. So sometimes I just sympathize with him.

    But other times, it's really satisfying to be a cold blooded mother fucker as well. Shrug of his hypocritical bullshit and call him a fuck up. I can't protect anyone? You lost your whole family, and I didn't have shit to do with your son going missing. Then choke him to death while yelling "You think I killed your family? Then maybe I should finish the job and put you out of your misery you worthless little shit!"

    Like I said, I love replaying this game.
  • edited February 2013
    DreadMagus wrote: »
    To be honest, I did the same thing both times.

    Granted, I only replayed because a bug ate my saves so I had to replay 1-4 again before playing 5.

    Happened to me twice :/
  • edited February 2013
    Too late.

    I've feed everything to everyone on multiple playthroughs and I've come to the conclusion that apples are apparently the best thing ever invented. I mean like apples too and I understand that fresh fruit carries a lot of nourishment, but no one gives a shit about the beef jerky? People need protein as well and I figured someone like Larry or Kenny might prefer that to an apple.

    But nope, everyone wants the damn apple. Everyone but Lilly and Kenny say something different if you give them the damn apple. Carley and Doug won't accept anything else even. Ben looks like you just told him Santa has come when you give him the apple. :confused:

    That aside, I let Lilly back in the R.V. on my first playthrough and now generally always leave her behind and tell the Stranger she deserved it on replays. I also fed her on my first play through too and I regret that as well, so now I make sure to call her asshole in Macon on replays.

    I also flip flop a lot on killing the Stranger. I couldn't bring myself to kill him the first time, now it's just seems to depend on my mood. I mean part of me does still feel sorry for him. Lost everything, was a alone and starving in the woods, went crazy and fixated on Clementine, a lot like Jolene. So sometimes I just sympathize with him.

    But other times, it's really satisfying to be a cold blooded mother fucker as well. Shrug of his hypocritical bullshit and call him a fuck up. I can't protect anyone? You lost your whole family, and I didn't have shit to do with your son going missing. Then choke him to death while yelling "You think I killed your family? Then maybe I should finish the job and put you out of your misery you worthless little shit!"

    Like I said, I love replaying this game.

    Same, I've made almost all decisions possible that I thought Lee would make.
    And yeah, I really developed a grudge against Lilly xD. Do you hate Kenny too?
  • edited February 2013
    Mark$man wrote: »
    Happened to me twice :/

    Ouch. :(
  • edited February 2013
    1st play: killed many people, dropped ben, in last scene I had her shooting me, never did that again...
    2nd play: thought: "Nah, you don't wanna teach Clem killing is ok, you'll play as much of a saint as possible." So killed nobody I didn't have to, pulled ben up.
    3rd play: thought: "Ok, showing Clem that killing is bad - is good, but: I also need to show her, that survival takes tough decisions." killed some people, pulled ben up
  • edited February 2013
    DreadMagus wrote: »
    Ouch. :(

    Meh, it happens, lol. Just an excuse to play it :P
  • edited February 2013
    Mark$man wrote: »
    Same, I've made almost all decisions possible that I thought Lee would make.
    And yeah, I really developed a grudge against Lilly xD. Do you hate Kenny too?

    First, bummer on losing your save files. I was lucky enough I only had to replay episode one a bunch of times and a little bit of episode four a second time. Always sucks to hear people with save file problems. :(

    And secondly, no I don't hate Kenny. Even on my first playthrough where I disagreed with him on pretty much everything from the meat locker to him not coming with me to find Clementine I didn't quite hate him. And when we got back to the attic I just wanted be friends again, I figured at that point life was too short to hold a grudge anymore. I was yelling at my T.V. when he stayed behind with Ben.

    The thing that really kills me about Lilly is when she says "I've got nothing left." That made me realize she didn't care about the rest of the group and we were nothing to her. Kenny certainly earns some achievements in being in an asshole but he never sunk that low. As long as he had people around he kept going, even if he was a dick to him.

    I'm also a little more forgiving of Kenny because all the shit that happens between Episode three and five is like at most three days, during which his son died and his wife killed herself. Lilly had at least a few weeks to mourn Larry. Kenny has to go from one mess to another without so much as catching his breath. I think that's why he finally starts to mellow in the attic. It was the first time in a while he was stuck somewhere long enough to think about what had happened.
  • edited February 2013
    First, bummer on losing your save files. I was lucky enough I only had to replay episode one a bunch of times and a little bit of episode four a second time. Always sucks to hear people with save file problems. :(

    And secondly, no I don't hate Kenny. Even on my first playthrough where I disagreed with him on pretty much everything from the meat locker to him not coming with me to find Clementine I didn't quite hate him. And we got back to the attic I just wanted be friends again, I figured at that point life was too short to hold a grudge anymore. I was yelling at my T.V. when he stayed behind with Ben.

    The thing that really kills me about Lilly is when she says "I've got nothing left." That made me realize she didn't care about the rest of the group and we were nothing to her. Kenny certainly earns some achievements in being in an asshole but he never sunk that low. As long as he had people around he kept going, even if he was a dick to him.

    I'm also a little more forgiving of Kenny because all the shit that happens between Episode three and five is like at most three days, during which his son died and his wife killed herself. Lilly had at least a few weeks to mourn Larry. Kenny has to go from one mess to another without so much as catching his breath. I think that's why he finally starts to mellow in the attic. It was the first time in a while he was stuck somewhere long enough to think about what had happened.

    Yeah I agree bout why you can understand Kenny. And yeah, when he did that I got so pissed. If both Kenny and Lilly come back in season 2, I hope wither my PC or Kenny makes the secision to put a bullet between her eyes xD Sound lil harsh, but hey, next to St Johns I hated her the most, even more than Larry.
  • edited February 2013
    No reason to be upset lol, it was fine. Pissed my bro off, but I didn't care. As far as I was concerned, it mean't I could play smarter.
  • edited February 2013
    I have only replayed once and I largely ended up making mostly the same choices. Mainly because they were all well considered the first time around (i frequently cheated and paused the game to think), but those that did change tended to be minor dialogue where i got a bad reaction the first time or was just "seeing what happened", because you cant look them up like the major decision.

    Of the things i did change, it was choosing to save duck this time around and choosing to be more aggressive with Larry in the pharmacy, very deliberately though because i wanted a better relationship with Kenny rather than me regretting the first decision.

    Only other ones that i was unsure of were whether to drop Ben or not (conflicting feelings) and who should shoot Duck (Because i just can't begin to think which way is better) so i'd like to do them differently. I did feel differently when faced with Lilly i ultimately left her both times, but first time round it was quite a hard thing to do, but after analyzing her a bit more i just regret there wasn't an option to execute her.
  • edited February 2013
    Mark$man wrote: »
    Yeah I agree bout why you can understand Kenny. And yeah, when he did that I got so pissed. If both Kenny and Lilly come back in season 2, I hope wither my PC or Kenny makes the secision to put a bullet between her eyes xD Sound lil harsh, but hey, next to St Johns I hated her the most, even more than Larry.

    Even if he isn't trying to be, Larry's fucking hilarious. :p

    And on a more serious note, there is a certain honesty to him. He's an asshole. He tells you point blank he's an asshole. He tells you he doesn't give a shit about you, he doesn't care about anything other than protecting Lilly, and if nothing else you know what to expect.

    He's still a colossal prick and an idiot, but he's pretty upfront about it. Lilly on the other hand seems to keep insisting she does what she does for everyone. It killed me when she said "I was trying to protecting everyone!" after putting a bullet in Carley's head. Really Lilly? Because there's at least one very dead member of the group who'd probably take issue with that claim.
    The Fallen wrote: »
    Only other ones that i was unsure of were whether to drop Ben or not (conflicting feelings) and who should shoot Duck (Because i just can't begin to think which way is better) so i'd like to do them differently.

    First time I played I said Katjaa should take care of Duck. Kenny was still at bargaining ("Can we just give him a pill? So he'll drift off to sleep.") I figured she had come to terms with Duck dying. She had been with him the whole time, unlike Kenny who was fiddling with the train and trying to put it out of his mind.

    Needless to say, I got quite the shock. :eek:

    After that I always pretty much made sure to kill Duck myself. On my first playthrough I did it just because I was worried Kenny would kill himself if he held onto that gun for too long.:(
  • edited February 2013
    1st playthrough: Clem, Duck, Kenny, and Mark
    2nd playtrough: Clem, Duck, Carley, and kept the last piece of food to myself cuz I'm a selfish bastard :rolleyes:
  • edited February 2013
    1st- Clem, Duck, Ben and Carly
    2nd- Clem, Duck, Larry and Mark

    My 1st and 2nd plays show I obviously always take care of the kids (Ben is young but not a child like the other two) but my last two decisions differed because in the 1st I was so pissed at Larry for hitting my and leaving me for dead in the pharmacy I would never willing give him food. Carly was supportive of me (as Katjaa had been) so it came down to a tough decision. I gave it to Carly because she kept my secret and still trusted me.

    My 2nd play (I saved Doug instead of Carly) and gave the food to Mark because he was complaining about being hungry and fed Larry since he was working in the Motel and decided to see if being nice would change Lilly and Larry's attitudes somewhat.
  • edited February 2013
    Demonseed wrote: »
    1st- Clem, Duck, Ben and Carly
    2nd- Clem, Duck, Larry and Mark

    My 1st and 2nd plays show I obviously always take care of the kids (Ben is young but not a child like the other two) but my last two decisions differed because in the 1st I was so pissed at Larry for hitting my and leaving me for dead in the pharmacy I would never willing give him food. Carly was supportive of me (as Katjaa had been) so it came down to a tough decision. I gave it to Carly because she kept my secret and still trusted me.

    My 2nd play (I saved Doug instead of Carly) and gave the food to Mark because he was complaining about being hungry and fed Larry since he was working in the Motel and decided to see if being nice would change Lilly and Larry's attitudes somewhat.

    ^Yeah... they're both still assholes
  • edited February 2013
    Too late.

    I've feed everything to everyone on multiple playthroughs and I've come to the conclusion that apples are apparently the best thing ever invented. I mean like apples too and I understand that fresh fruit carries a lot of nourishment, but no one gives a shit about the beef jerky? People need protein as well and I figured someone like Larry or Kenny might prefer that to an apple.

    But nope, everyone wants the damn apple. Everyone but Lilly and Kenny say something different if you give them the damn apple. Carley and Doug won't accept anything else even. Ben looks like you just told him Santa has come when you give him the apple. :confused:

    That aside, I let Lilly back in the R.V. on my first playthrough and now generally always leave her behind and tell the Stranger she deserved it on replays. I also fed her on my first play through too and I regret that as well, so now I make sure to call her asshole in Macon on replays.

    I also flip flop a lot on killing the Stranger. I couldn't bring myself to kill him the first time, now it's just seems to depend on my mood. I mean part of me does still feel sorry for him. Lost everything, was a alone and starving in the woods, went crazy and fixated on Clementine, a lot like Jolene. So sometimes I just sympathize with him.

    But other times, it's really satisfying to be a cold blooded mother fucker as well. Shrug of his hypocritical bullshit and call him a fuck up. I can't protect anyone? You lost your whole family, and I didn't have shit to do with your son going missing. Then choke him to death while yelling "You think I killed your family? Then maybe I should finish the job and put you out of your misery you worthless little shit!"

    Like I said, I love replaying this game.

    So that's why Carley would never accept my offer for food,but anyway in my first playthrough I saved Ben,but as my second save was pro-Kenny I dropped the poor kid.
  • edited February 2013
    Too late.

    I've feed everything to everyone on multiple playthroughs and I've come to the conclusion that apples are apparently the best thing ever invented. I mean like apples too and I understand that fresh fruit carries a lot of nourishment, but no one gives a shit about the beef jerky? People need protein as well and I figured someone like Larry or Kenny might prefer that to an apple.

    But nope, everyone wants the damn apple. Everyone but Lilly and Kenny say something different if you give them the damn apple. Carley and Doug won't accept anything else even. Ben looks like you just told him Santa has come when you give him the apple. :confused:

    That aside, I let Lilly back in the R.V. on my first playthrough and now generally always leave her behind and tell the Stranger she deserved it on replays. I also fed her on my first play through too and I regret that as well, so now I make sure to call her asshole in Macon on replays.

    I also flip flop a lot on killing the Stranger. I couldn't bring myself to kill him the first time, now it's just seems to depend on my mood. I mean part of me does still feel sorry for him. Lost everything, was a alone and starving in the woods, went crazy and fixated on Clementine, a lot like Jolene. So sometimes I just sympathize with him.

    But other times, it's really satisfying to be a cold blooded mother fucker as well. Shrug of his hypocritical bullshit and call him a fuck up. I can't protect anyone? You lost your whole family, and I didn't have shit to do with your son going missing. Then choke him to death while yelling "You think I killed your family? Then maybe I should finish the job and put you out of your misery you worthless little shit!"

    Like I said, I love replaying this game.

    I sense anger management issues? :)
  • edited February 2013
    I always take the supplies from the car now, because Episode 5 doesn't make any goddamn sense to me if I don't, which I didn't on my original save. Funny story though, I got my saves wiped when Episode 5 came out, and when I got to that point in my replay, I almost decided to take them. "What the hell, it's not like this will ever matter beyond Clem looking cool with the hoodie" I said to myself. Boy was I glad I left them like I did originally, even if it didn't make much sense for him to question every single thing I did simply because my bro took his food.

    Other than that, I don't really change up many things unless I'm trying to see what happens differently. I like the way my original game went very much, and it's kind of weird to play with more than a couple choices changed.
  • edited February 2013
    Rock114 wrote: »
    I always take the supplies from the car now, because Episode 5 doesn't make any goddamn sense to me if I don't, which I didn't on my original save. Funny story though, I got my saves wiped when Episode 5 came out, and when I got to that point in my replay, I almost decided to take them. "What the hell, it's not like this will ever matter beyond Clem looking cool with the hoodie" I said to myself. Boy was I glad I left them like I did originally, even if it didn't make much sense for him to question every single thing I did simply because my bro took his food.

    Other than that, I don't really change up many things unless I'm trying to see what happens differently. I like the way my original game went very much, and it's kind of weird to play with more than a couple choices changed.

    He knows what you did because Clem told him (makes you be careful around Clemmy lol). It is a way to show there is no right way to do things. You can only do so much, and terrible experiences show the worst in people. While Stranger can say how many mistakes and bad judgement you made, you have to realize he's a lunatic that will say he isn't a man of revenge just before talking about killing you and taking Clem from you... as revenge. lol.
  • edited February 2013
    On my second playthrough, I took a hard line against Lilly since I know siding with her would not help me down the road, back Kenny up on EVERYTHING, and made sure Ben was swimming with the fishes.
  • edited February 2013
    Mark$man wrote: »
    He knows what you did because Clem told you (makes you be careful around Clemmy lol). It is a way to show there is no right way to do things. You can only do so much, and terrible experiences show the worst in people. While Stranger can say how many mistakes and bad judgement you made, you have to realize he's a lunatic that will say he isn't a man of revenge just before talking about killing you and taking Clem from you... as revenge. lol.

    I know he's a lunatic, but I still hate him trying to murder me for something I didn't even do. I will never tell him I would have done something differently. I said that I "protected her in that place" when he called me out for killing Danny St John, and told him that "he wasn't there" when he called me on abandoning Lilly. Didn't make much sense since I hadn't done anything to him, so I decided to MAKE it make sense.
  • edited February 2013
    Rock114 wrote: »
    I know he's a lunatic, but I still hate him trying to murder me for something I didn't even do. I will never tell him I would have done something differently. I said that I "protected her in that place" when he called me out for killing Danny St John, and told him that "he wasn't there" when he called me on abandoning Lilly. Didn't make much sense since I hadn't done anything to him, so I decided to MAKE it make sense.

    You're acting like crazy people should always be calm and rational. :p

    Seriously though, the Stranger is grief stricken man who lost his entire family. At first he probably just wanted revenge against the people who took from him, like he said. But once he talked to Clementine over the radio enough times he changed his mind. She obviously made him think about his own daughter and how badly he wanted a family again.

    Somewhere along the line he decided he wanted Clementine, and once he made that decision he had to justify it to himself. He had to rationalize things so he could feel confident in what he was going to do, because what he was doing was horrible. So the only way he could go through with it was to paint Lee or anyone as a monster, irregardless of who those people really were.

    A lot of the stuff he says about Lee he's really saying about himself. He's projecting his own failures onto Lee as a way to cope with the guilt of his own mistakes. To say "Maybe I made a mistake, but I didn't do this like you did!" But he wanted to kill people who hurt him purely for revenge, he lies to Clementine and takes her away from her family, he failed to protect his loved ones, he blames others for the loss of his family to make it easier to forget that he lost his son before anyone ever stole from him.

    Part of him probably realized this, which is why he was so desperate to call Lee he a monster. He NEEDED for him to be a monster so he wouldn't feel like one by comparison. He couldn't accept responsibility for his own mistakes so he painted someone else as a greater evil. Then he could look at that person and say to himself "I'm not that guy! I didn't do that! I'm not like him!" to satisfy his warped lingering sense of morality. It's also why he mentions being a dad and coaching little league, anything to distract himself from his own misdeeds.

    It's also why he brings up Clementine's birthday. He can't really accept the reality of the situation he's in so he grasps as straws. "Forgetting a kid's birthday is unforgivable!" Ignoring that six days ago Clementine was probably worried about bandits coming out of the forest and killing her. It's for that same reason he even wanted Clementine, so he could think he's a family again and delude himself into thinking everything was normal.

    And his desire for that comforting delusion was stronger than anything else. That's why there's no reasoning with him, he wants to escape the horrors of the world so bad he'll do anything, and he sees that escape in adopting Clementine. And since he's convinced himself he isn't a bad guy, it means anyone who'd stop him from achieving that must be wrong. Because if that wasn't the case, then that would mean he really is a monster, and there's no way that could be...
  • edited February 2013
    And since he's convinced himself he isn't a bad guy, it means anyone who'd stop him from achieving that must be wrong. Because if that wasn't the case, then that would mean he really is a monster, and there's no way that could be...

    :O Plot twisssssssst.
  • edited February 2013
    Well my first playthrough: I saved Duck, helped Lilly with Larry, spared the St. John's and save Ben. I was satisfied with my ending, although Kenny pissed me off for abandoning my ass =.=

    I went pro-Kenny on my 2nd playthrough: saved Duck, kill Larry, killed both the brothers and dropped Ben.. Felt like sh*t after playing it, Kenny took so much pride in me joining him with all his horrible choices =.= loved the bro speech though, they were both assholes together x)
  • edited February 2013
    You didn't ALWAYS have to side with Kenny, and if at first he doesn't want to go with you, the "Clem is all I have left, she's my family" reponse will almost always get him to go with you. I don't drop Ben, even though he is nothing but a liability. I don't help Lilly at all though, sorry to her. And I don't kill the St. John's for moral reasons and because it upsets Clem.
  • edited February 2013
    If you piss Kenny off too much he will refuse to go with you no matter what you say. If you say "Clem is my family now" he'll threaten to kick your ass for even mentioning family in his presence. :p

    I think the meat locker decision is guaranteed to always place him in a neutral side, i.e. you'll never get the bro speech if you try to save Larry. Well, maybe if you side with him on everything else....
  • edited February 2013
    I never changed my first choice because in my opinion is my real choice. It's not fun for me if you change your FIRST choice. Sometimes you don't know what will happen if you do some choice and it could be a mistake that you can't solve without change it later, that's why it's the real choice. Sometimes you don't realize the consequences of a choice that's why some people change them later, but I don't because it's not fun in games like this.
  • edited February 2013
    Mornai wrote: »
    If you piss Kenny off too much he will refuse to go with you no matter what you say. If you say "Clem is my family now" he'll threaten to kick your ass for even mentioning family in his presence. :p

    I think the meat locker decision is guaranteed to always place him in a neutral side, i.e. you'll never get the bro speech if you try to save Larry. Well, maybe if you side with him on everything else....

    Actually I've seen one playthrough where someone got the bro speech after trying to save Larry. He dropped Ben though and I think sided with Kenny on most everything else.
This discussion has been closed.