User Avatar Image

Age of Empires II HD on Steam

posted by flesk on - last edited - Viewed by 752 users
I'm not sure when this was announced, but it's awesome news regardless. Age of Empires II is coming to Steam in HD:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221380/

Even though I own a physical copy already I've been hoping for a digital release on GOG for ages because everybody should play this gem. Really didn't expect an HD version to hit Steam though.

I'm hoping this becomes popular enough that we might see HD releases of Age of Empires and Age of Mythology eventually too.
16 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Having not played the series, why is playing an HD version of 2 better than playing 3?
  • Chyron8472;776104 said:
    Having not played the series, why is playing an HD version of 2 better than playing 3?
    Because of its awesomeness. 3 is good enough but 2 is generally regarded as the definitive highpoint of the series.
  • Playing the non HD version on a non-compatible computer is better than playing III.
  • What did they change about III that sucked?

Again, I'm genuinely asking, as a person who has not played any Age of Empires game.
  • Chyron8472;776123 said:
    What did they change about III that sucked?
    They're not too different gameplay wise except from the pretty much uninteresting hometown addition in AoE III. What makes AoE II really stand out is the incredible diversity of the historical campaigns. There aren't many special units or research advantages per culture, but they're enough that they all feel genuinely interesting to explore.
  • Alcoremortis;776121 said:
    Playing the non HD version on a non-compatible computer
    How can you play it if the computer isn't compatible?
  • Chyron8472;776123 said:
    What did they change about III that sucked?
    First of all they created the game in a 3D engine.
    Second: Age Of Kings was perfect. They couldn't have made a better Age Of Empires title.
    Laserschwert;776130 said:
    How can you play it if the computer isn't compatible?
    Well the original has several problems with modern hardware. On my old PC (Win XP) it crashed a lot and changed the colours to LSD-Trip-Levels after about 2 minutes of playtime or less. On my old old computer (Win 98) everything ran flawless.
    And even on my XP machine I'd rather play Age of Kings instead of AoEIII.
  • der_ketzer;776133 said:
    First of all they created the game in a 3D engine.
    AoM was already in 3D though and it didn't suck. It probably has the least single player content of the Age games but it's really great fun if you're into mythology. Playing as vikings is very different from cultures in the other games in that they're based around mobility and they gather favor through fighting.
  • flesk;776134 said:
    AoM was already in 3D though and it didn't suck.
    I disagree.
  • der_ketzer;776135 said:
    I disagree.
    What's wrong with it?
Add Comment