User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter/Crowdfunding thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited by Jennifer - Viewed by 35K users
Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!
1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Vainamoinen;776208 said:
    BTW, the first tier is the best of its kind I have yet seen.
    Indeed. I chuckled.

Not sure if this'll make its goal, or if the online aspect will put people off. I know it's supposed to be playable offline, but it still seems like the game's geared for online play. Really not sure about this one.
  • What is the reason for all the negativity surrounding the new Lord British project? Seems that guy elicits strong reactions from people.
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    Vainamoinen;776208 said:
    They'll have to earn a lot yet, and success is far from certain, but kickstarters that are doomed from the start normally don't get 30% funded in the first two days.
    Make that 45%.
  • Something like 95% of Kickstarters that make it past 25% funding succeed, so the Garriott one is pretty certain to. That said, it looks pretty unappealing.
  • The impression given off by the project spokesman is so important. Potential pledgers have to feel good about you, like you and want to help you. Lord British appearing in his video, spending a huge chunk of time talking about how great he is and then appearing with shirt unbuttoned and his ostentatious necklace bling on fill display probably didn't help him. Seemed a bit cocky.

Still, I think he's an immensely talented guy and I hope his project does well.

Brian Fargo comes off really well on camera. Appears humble and appreciative. Who knows if he's really that way, but that's the image he gave off. I thought he Torment pitch video was great.
  • Ooh, Kicktraq now has enough data that it can take a stab at projections for Torment.

• So, me and Dashing were chatting and I got to mentioning the Veronica Mars Kickstarter, which looks set to be the most popular ever.

And then he asked how much I'd spent in total on Kickstarter projects.

So I went and added it all up.

$1,111.

Holy Shit.

And that's not even counting the projects that are still open and haven't taken money from me yet.
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    ...about a quarter of that for me.
  • What I want to know is whether there is any evidence that the big name/celeb projects are hurting the smaller indie game campaigns. Or is the opposite true?
  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator
    Darth Marsden;777760 said:
    And then he asked how much I'd spent in total on Kickstarter projects.

So I went and added it all up.

$1,111.

Holy Shit.

And that's not even counting the projects that are still open and haven't taken money from me yet.
    It does add up. :eek: I spent $1015, and that's not counting the ones I funded through Paypal.
Add Comment