User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 427.5K users
One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.
38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    coolsome... you REALLY need to change your image hoster. We can't see the Simpson, Superhero and/or Wrestling picture above.
  • It seems to happen when I google gifs. Il have to just upload them to Photobucket each time,
  • Friar;782468 said:
    I have to say, I thought it was a needless addition. I think she only said it to create publicity. It is kind of cool that he is, it gives kids a role model of sorts. When you are around the age those books are intended for (9-15) and gay, having the most respected and powerful person in your favourite book being gay would do wonders for self confidence. At that age, you fear rejection from people finding out about the way you are. But given that it's not exactly explicit in the book (loosely implied), that that reasoning falls on its face. It was an after thought, with no hinting at it before the last book.
    I think in the context of the story, it would make sense that it wouldn't really be hinted at (aside from the Mirror of Erised) until the end because the story is told from Harry's perspective and, let's face it, Harry doesn't see things that are right in front of his face. If he didn't notice that his DADA teacher was a freakin' werewolf (even after receiving a lovely Snape-lecture about how to recognize them), he's hella not going to notice that his headmaster is gay. And as such, there's really no reason to put it in the actual story, because Harry wouldn't have noticed.

I'm pretty sure J.K. Rowling had this planned from the beginning... or something like this, just because she did the whole sock thing with Erised. She might not have pinned down what it was Dumbledore saw in the mirror until later, but I'm pretty sure she'd already intended for it to be a forbidden romance of some sort, simply due to the fact that Dumbledore lied about it to Harry.
  • Alcoremortis;782504 said:
    I think in the context of the story, it would make sense that it wouldn't really be hinted at (aside from the Mirror of Erised) until the end because the story is told from Harry's perspective and, let's face it, Harry doesn't see things that are right in front of his face. If he didn't notice that his DADA teacher was a freakin' werewolf (even after receiving a lovely Snape-lecture about how to recognize them), he's hella not going to notice that his headmaster is gay. And as such, there's really no reason to put it in the actual story, because Harry wouldn't have noticed.

I'm pretty sure J.K. Rowling had this planned from the beginning... or something like this, just because she did the whole sock thing with Erised. She might not have pinned down what it was Dumbledore saw in the mirror until later, but I'm pretty sure she'd already intended for it to be a forbidden romance of some sort, simply due to the fact that Dumbledore lied about it to Harry.
    When I read the books, I always assumed that he had a thing for McGonagall. Even after finishing the last book ( I red it before she outed him). I'd never even thought about what Dumbledore saw in he mirror. I always assumed it was indeed the socks.

I really need to reread them...
  • coolsome;782498 said:
    It seems to happen when I google gifs. Il have to just upload them to imgur each time,
    Cool, I also use imgur! Only chodes use Photobucket.
  • [CENTER]The Tale of the Drunken Knob Head[/CENTER]

On New Year's Day (2013) I was assaulted by some pathetic tosser, who punched out my front two teeth.

I had witnessed him attempting to beat up his girlfriend and so tried to intervene (by telling him to "leave her the f**k alone, you f**king c**t"). Two minutes later I was absent two nashers! After this, he then proceeded to go on an arson spree across town (including burning down an entire store, a 12th century cathedral door and a heap of books that were on sale for charity!

Anyway, the story has a happy(ish) ending; he's pleaded guilty to the charges brought against him and is now facing a lengthy prison sentence. Also, I've had some extensive dental work done since the incident (having two crowns put in to replace my busted teeth) and now my teeth have never looked better! :D
  • What a chode. I bet he also uses Photobucket.
  • St_Eddie;782512 said:

I had witnessed him attempting to beat up his girlfriend and so tried to intervene (by telling him to "leave her the f**k alone, you f**king c**t").
    You're a badass!
  • coolsome;782517 said:
    You're a badass!
    I don't know about that; I'm quite a softy at heart really. However, I'm certainly not afraid to stand up to injustice with tremendous anger, whenever I see it. The way I look at it, I don't have a choice; it's in my nature. Besides, if everyone had the same attitude as myself then the world would be a safer place.
  • St_Eddie;782512 said:
    [CENTER]The Tale of the Drunken Knob Head[/CENTER]

On New Year's Day (2013) I was assaulted by some pathetic tosser, who punched out my front two teeth.

I had witnessed him attempting to beat up his girlfriend and so tried to intervene (by telling him to "leave her the f**k alone, you f**king c**t"). Two minutes later I was absent two nashers! After this, he then proceeded to go on an arson spree across town (including burning down an entire store, a 12th century cathedral door and a heap of books that were on sale for charity!

Anyway, the story has a happy(ish) ending; he's pleaded guilty to the charges brought against him and is now facing a lengthy prison sentence. Also, I've had some extensive dental work done since the incident (having two crowns put in to replace my busted teeth) and now my teeth have never looked better! :D
    Davies, have I ever told you that you're awesome?
This discussion has been closed.