User Avatar Image

Curse of Monkey Island Special Edition

posted by Noname215 on - last edited - Viewed by 13.2K users
I would kill to see this made. Who is with me?
82 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I wouldn't say it's equally silly. To me it's more... the flavor of silly. It just doesn't really match for me.

It's like putting beans on a funny looking birthday cake.
  • Chyron8472;783507 said:
    It's like putting beans on a funny looking birthday cake.
    ...ok, that I can't argue with.
  • BlankCanvasDJ;783516 said:
    ...ok, that I can't argue with.
    Depends. Are they JELLY beans, 'cause those'd go quite well.
  • It is true that Escape is the silliest and most anachronistic of the franchise, just as Curse was sillier and more anachronistic than the first two (Tales hovers somewhere between 2 and 3, I think). Whether either of them crosses the line into too silly and anachronistic depends, I guess, on your own personal taste.
  • BlankCanvasDJ;783498 said:
    As for the anachronisms...

...If it's ok to have:

* Porthole defoggers
    * Neon signs
    * Elevators
    * Electrical stage lighting
    * Vending machines
    * An entire 20th century amusement park
    All of which fall under the category of present day technology.
    BlankCanvasDJ;783498 said:
    then I think it's ok to have a robot.
    This is technology that we still do not have (certainly not to the extent shown in the game). It's futuristic technology. By your logic, it's perfectly acceptable to have a Monkey Island game where Guybrush travels up to a space station in another galaxy and engages in combat with a bunch of aliens by using his trusty laser pistol.

If you can't see the distinction between the two then I don't know what else to tell you.
  • In the 17th century Caribbean, it's ALL futuristic technology, so no I don't see the difference. Are you saying that once we advance to the point where we have large robots, the monkey robot in Escape will be ok?
  • BlankCanvasDJ;783566 said:
    In the 17th century Caribbean, it's ALL futuristic technology, so no I don't see the difference. Are you saying that once we advance to the point where we have large robots, the monkey robot in Escape will be ok?
    Okay fine, I've said my piece on the subject. Enjoy your Monkey Island game with nano-technology, lightsabres, Mecha-Godzilla, Flash Gordon, a fleet of interstellar battle cruisers, terminators and a robot the size of the Empire State building shooting EMP lightning bolts from it's eyes.

Honestly, why is it some people can't appreciate that things aren't black and white, they're shades of grey. It's not "all or nothing"!
  • I always thought the monkey robot was run by voodoo power.
  • Alcoremortis;783570 said:
    I always thought the monkey robot was run by voodoo power.
    As a means of fuel, I believe that you're correct. However, the controls inside of that thing were pure "world of tomorrow".
  • It was powered by the voodoo lava of Big Whoop.
Add Comment