User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 20.4K users
...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.
681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well as long as we get to see the secret of Monkey Island and finally get more of the story left off at ToMI, and it has some good puzzles, i think it would be good......Just if Ron or Tim does get it i hope they do not put in puzzles like the bone song puzzle and the monkey wrench puzzle :/
  • Oh dear! What will happen to the International House of Mojo?! Will its website (and all its sister websites) cease to exist altogether?! :(
  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator
    Debbie82;783673 said:
    Oh dear! What will happen to the International House of Mojo?! Will its website (and all its sister websites) cease to exist altogether?! :(
    Nope. We cover the off-spring of LucasArts like Double Fine and Telltale Games too (and there's no shortage of new games to talk about from both companies). :)
  • Jennifer;783675 said:
    Nope. We cover the off-spring of LucasArts like Double Fine and Telltale Games too (and there's no shortage of new games to talk about from both companies). :)
    You're site staff for mixnmojo.com (not being sarcastic, it's a genuine query)?
  • Mixnmojo isn't going anywhere. If anything, recent events give the site even more to snark about. The future of LEC adventure game IP doesn't look particularly promising, but then what else is new? I mean what, really, changes with regard to those properties compared to yesterday?

Consider also that companies like Telltale and Double Fine are thriving as never before and Bill Tiller's A Vampyre Story Kickstarter is probably weeks from launching at this point. And you can't definitively rule out something happening one day with one of those cherished licenses.

There's plenty to talk about.
  • The saddest thing about this is the people losing their jobs. LucasArts as a games developer has been nothing to me for over a decade, with the best games with their name on it coming from outside developers. So from that point of view, nothing has really changed in my eyes. In fact they may be more willing to licence out older IPs but anything coming from that would just be a bonus and not really expected.

So feelings for the people, but that's it.
  • Boo, I know Lucasarts itself hasn't released any adventure games since 2000, but I always thought they were a great software company. Figures that the all powerful Disney Company makes another move I'm not crazy about....
Add Comment