User Avatar Image

Telltale should buy LucasArts's original IPs

posted by JFP on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users
I know this is a long shot, and this may overlap with the Disney Buys Lucasfilm one, but regardless, I feel this is necessary.

I strongly feel that Telltale Games should try to acquire at least some of LucasArts's non-Star Wars or Indiana Jones games and IPs (including the first Sam & Max game and whatever remains of the S&M LucasArts was working on, but scrapped).

Consider that in the past Disney sold off Dic Entertainment and the Power Rangers, and my proposition seems more realistic.
52 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Something tells me Disney's not interested in selling them, and even if they were Telltale's probably not interested in buying.

If they do sell them off, I honestly think they'd be better off with Double Fine.
  • If copyrights aren't properly renewed, the games could potentially fall in public domain.

In 2080, give or take a decade or two.
  • Nobody wants Freelance Police anymore except lattsam.

Especially not the people who made it.
  • Disney has found ways of keeping the rights to Mickey Mouse for far longer than copyright laws would seem to allow. I think it's silly to think they'll deal with anything else differently.
  • GaryCXJk;784138 said:
    If copyrights aren't properly renewed, the games could potentially fall in public domain.

In 2080, give or take a decade or two.
    We're talking about Disney. They (almost literally) wrote the book on copyright extensions.
  • User Avatar Image
    JFP
    Alcoremortis;784142 said:
    Disney has found ways of keeping the rights to Mickey Mouse for far longer than copyright laws would seem to allow. I think it's silly to think they'll deal with anything else differently.
    Yeah, but my point is, they've been willing to sell of stuff they've acquired from other companies (e.g. Power Rangers and Dic Entertainment, not to mention the award-winning Miramax film library), so they may be willing to part with some of the LucasArts IPs.
  • Disney only viciously defends the copyrights of properties that it wants to keep. They've made it pretty clear that they only bought Lucasfilm for Star Wars (and, maybe in the future, Indiana Jones) so there's no reason to assume they'll be unwilling to sell any of the IPs they don't plan to use. But, unfortunately, it sounds like Telltale isn't all that interested in resurrecting old adventure games anymore.
  • I don't see Telltale going after these as they've said they want to focus on new IPs rather than resurrecting old ones. But anything's possible.
  • I doubt Disney will be actively peddling the licenses and if someone tries to buy them they cold potentially keep the prices so high, that it would not make sense to buy them.
  • Loom the movie, i see it happening :D
Add Comment