Telltale Autumn Sale

The XBOX 720 and stuff

edited May 2013 in General Chat
I just came across this article talking about how the upcoming "Xbox 720" will have always-on DRM protection and may block used games via one-time-use activations codes. How would you all feel about this?




Personally, with the patent filing of how the Kinect can block the use of "unlicensed people" watching a rented or purchased movie, I think I'm going to go ahead and get a Playstation 4 now. Microsoft is going in the wrong direction (on various products), and the Xbox was the only one I was happy with. Welp, I have rid my life of Windows, and soon the Xbox.
«1

Comments

  • edited April 2013
    I take these rumours with a huge grain of salt. Articles were saying similar things about the PS4 before its reveal. Until Microsoft officially comes out with actual information about the "720", I'm going to go on believing it will work fine offline.

    The fact is that there are still plenty of people who simply don't network their consoles, and more who have shoddy connections. Microsoft would be crazy to write off these potential customers.
  • edited April 2013
    When E3 hits and Microsoft confirms the Specs and we find out if everything is true or not I will comment until then I remain hopeful that Micosoft does not create a console aimed specifically at casual gamers focused on Kinect and making as much money as possible over actual happiness or gamers...
    If these rumours are true then...
  • edited April 2013
    And what's worse is that on Twitter people have been saying that someone from Mircosoft has been insulting people who don't like it. Screwattack also said about it on last nights hard news.
  • edited April 2013
    Old news. Old rumour... that after over a year, still hasn't been denied.

    Xbox fans, watch out.

    I will add that this is a bit more than a rumour. This all picked up steam when there was an actual communication from Microsoft. It was a little questionnaire type deal they sent to developers and publishers that wanted their opinions on certain things. This was included. We don't know their response or if Microsoft is still pushing for it. Yes, they wanted it at some point.
  • edited April 2013
    No Mircosoft is pushing it when they insult people who don't agree with this whole online bullshit.
  • edited April 2013
    If this turns out to be true then Microsoft can go fuck themselves. Scratch that, Microsoft can go fuck themselves regardless. I'll stick with my Playstation3 (which I purchased over a 360 because of the whole 'red ring of death' bullshit), thanks.

    If I do purchase a next-gen console then it'll almost certainly be a PS4. Having said that; it all comes down to which console hosts the best games (and whether I can play those game offline and show them off on my shelf, in nice retail boxes).
  • edited April 2013
    St_Eddie wrote: »
    (which I purchased over a 360 because of the whole 'red ring of death' bullshit), thanks.

    That made me chuckle as my PS3 just recently broke down and my 360 has yet to have any problems what so ever :p

    As for the rumors. If they are true, I am not buying the nextbox at all, and if they aren't, then maybe. So far it is looking like a PS4/WiiU combo when it comes to consoles this gen.
  • edited April 2013
    This will be the norm in the next ten years for all major game system developers.
  • edited April 2013
    I think my next generation console will be a new PC. Or at least an upgraded one.
  • edited April 2013
    The CEO of GameStop said the new XBox looks great this week. I feel like it probably wouldn't be saying that if the thing was going to destroy all those used games profits GameStop lives on.
  • edited April 2013
    DAISHI wrote: »
    This will be the norm in the next ten years for all major game system developers.

    This will be the day that I stop playing new games. I'm not too upset though; I'm more of a retro-head anyway!
  • edited April 2013
    For the record, here's what happened with the controversial statement.

    Microsoft Studios' Creative Director Adam Orth was queried about the rumours that the next XBox will force people to always be connected to the internet. He responded with the following tweet:

    xlarge-620x.jpg

    As you can imagine, this was not well received, and he followed it up with some very weak arguments. Weak like... well, like this:
    Sometimes the electricity goes out. I will not purchase a vacuum cleaner. The mobile reception in the area I live in is spotty and unreliable. I will not buy a mobile phone.
    Yeah. Again, not well received at all. One person to call him out on this was Manveer Heir, who works at Bioware (which is owned by EA - oh, the irony!) and pointed out the problems faced by Diablo III and SimCity (IRONY!) as well as how several places across the US, like Janesville, WI or Backsburg, VA, would have trouble maintaining a stable connection.

    Orth responded with this.
    Why on Earth would I live there?
    ...yeah. That... that didn't endear him to ANYONE.

    Rather predictably, Microsoft issued a statement apologizing for his comments, stating that he wasn't an official spokesperson and that he was simply sharing his personal view. Most notably though, Microsoft didn't actually deny the always-on aspect, something people were quick to pick up on.

    In short - people do not want things that require you to always be online, whether that be a game, DRM or (in this case) an entire console. It's effectively the biggest and, arguably, best excuse you can give someone to pirate things, and if Microsoft go ahead with this it WILL backfire on them spectacularly.

    The only way they can get out of this situation is to drop the entire thing, but I somehow doubt they'll actually do that. This IS Microsoft we're talking about here.
  • edited April 2013
    xlarge-620x.jpg

    What a blowhard asshole. My PS3 isn't always online (actually it's not online at all, whatsoever) and my vacuum cleaner certainly isn't! How can you compare electricity to an Internet connection?! What a freakin' bucket of putrid slop this clown is!

    Seriously, that little weasel can take his 720 and shove it up his bloated ass. Fucking numpty piece of shit.

    I don't have an Internet connection at my flat. I guess that means that I don't fucking exist, right?! This man is a lump of rectal discharge!

    That settles that, Sony is getting my money and Microsoft can die a slow and horrible death.

    Fuck you, Microsoft.
  • edited April 2013
    Quite frankly if you don't want the product don't buy it. I couldn't be happier with Always-Online if it's to serve some actual purpose.
  • edited April 2013
    Ribs wrote: »
    Quite frankly if you don't want the product don't buy it. I couldn't be happier with Always-Online if it's to serve some actual purpose.

    But what purpose would be worth it? Surely this feature can just be shut off if your internet is down and then resume it when you get back.
  • edited April 2013
    My pacemaker isnt always on.......
  • edited April 2013
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    But what purpose would be worth it? Surely this feature can just be shut off if your internet is down and then resume it when you get back.

    I don't know, perhaps it heals all wounds by being connected to the internet?
  • edited April 2013
    Ribs wrote: »
    I couldn't be happier with Always-Online if it's to serve some actual purpose.

    The only purpose of Always-Online is to protect Microsoft's interests. Don't kid yourself into thinking that such a proposition is made to benefit the customer. It's not.
  • edited April 2013
    Unless it cures cancer and AIDS.
  • edited April 2013
    GaryCXJk wrote: »
    Unless it cures cancer and AIDS.

    True. Whereas if it just cured cancer 'or' AIDS, it would be worthless.
  • edited April 2013
    The very fact Microsoft hired a guy like Orth means Microsoft has lost me as a customer this gen. I won't even look at what they're offering.
  • edited April 2013
    The very fact Microsoft hired a guy like Orth means Microsoft has lost me as a customer this gen. I won't even look at what they're offering.

    If they really get rid of used games and the PS4 doesn't the new Xbox is already dead.
  • edited April 2013
    St_Eddie wrote: »
    The only purpose of Always-Online is to protect Microsoft's interests. Don't kid yourself into thinking that such a proposition is made to benefit the customer. It's not.

    Good. Used games are a horrible thing and are legitimately taking money out of publishers' hands. Would be happy to see the back of them.

    Also would be happy to see if this cuts down on piracy as well somehow, which'd be great.
  • edited April 2013
    Ribs wrote: »
    Good. Used games are a horrible thing and are legitimately taking money out of publishers' hands. Would be happy to see the back of them.
    See most console users don't. They don't have constant Steamdeals etc. They have higher prices which stay high a lot longer.
    Ribs wrote: »
    Also would be happy to see if this cuts down on piracy as well somehow, which'd be great.

    It will not. Nothing can stop piracy. Some people will (or can) never pay for their media and there is nothing anyone could do about that.
  • edited April 2013
    The very fact Microsoft hired a guy like Orth means Microsoft has lost me as a customer this gen. I won't even look at what they're offering.

    Really?

    I mean, I can guarantee that Sony/Nintendo/Telltale/you name it has at least one douche that works there. They just either have douches that have better sense of what they shouldn't tweet, or they inform said douches of what they shouldn't tweet.
  • edited April 2013
    Ribs wrote: »
    Good. Used games are a horrible thing and are legitimately taking money out of publishers' hands. Would be happy to see the back of them.

    Also would be happy to see if this cuts down on piracy as well somehow, which'd be great.

    Looks like The game I am making called Awesome Pony Fighting Game couldn't have come at a better time. No DRM, all assets under Creative Commons CC-BY 3.0,code under GPLV3. The gaming industry business model is about to change. Here is the Demo https://github.com/jubilee145/APFG

    Used Games are good. The bigger the fan base the better. CopyRight is evil. Its Censorship. And yes the most restrictive creative commons licenses aka no deratives are also censorship but there are only 2 of them. It is much better than copyright. It protects the artist rather than the holder of the copyright just ask any one who signed with a record label.
    Also piracy may be good for business it is extremly debatable.

    If they put the ability to have physical copy games on OUYA using sd cards especially Lib-ray http://lib-ray.org/ then there is going to be some trouble with Xbox.
  • edited April 2013
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    See most console users don't. They don't have constant Steamdeals etc. They have higher prices which stay high a lot longer.

    Yes, and they should pay those prices, like I do. That's how capitalism works.
  • edited April 2013
    TheBigGuns wrote: »

    Used Games are good. The bigger the fan base the better.
    No, the more money going to the people who publish things the better. That's how money is supposed to flow.
    CopyRight is evil. Its Censorship.
    Not only is copyright not evil, but there's also absolutely nothing wrong with censorship.
    Also piracy may be good for business it is extremly debatable.
    No, it isn't. I've seen various companies estimate over 60% of their users to be pirates, an estimated 60% of those estimated to also never intend to spend any money on any products whatsoever. These people aren't entitled to games, they should be stopped from playing them, and they should be heavily fined or penalized. Piracy is bad no matter what, however.
  • edited April 2013
    Ribs wrote: »
    Yes, and they should pay those prices, like I do. That's how capitalism works.

    Hey did you read my comment. Isn't used market part of capitalism or else it woud be illegal and no game stop.
    Investopedia explains 'Capitalism'
    In such a system, individuals and firms have the right to own and use wealth to earn income and to sell and purchase labor for wages with little or no government control. The function of regulating the economy is then achieved mainly through the operation of market forces where prices and profit dictate where and how resources are used and allocated. The U.S. is a capitalistic system.

    http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/capitalism.asp
  • edited April 2013
    Somehow, I don't think Microsoft is stupid enough to just outright ignore an entire section of the US where internet isn't stable enough.
  • edited April 2013
    Ribs wrote: »
    No, the more money going to the people who publish things the better. That's how money is supposed to flow.

    Not only is copyright not evil, but there's also absolutely nothing wrong with censorship.

    No, it isn't. I've seen various companies estimate over 60% of their users to be pirates, an estimated 60% of those estimated to also never intend to spend any money on any products whatsoever. These people aren't entitled to games, they should be stopped from playing them, and they should be heavily fined or penalized. Piracy is bad no matter what, however.

    Estimate? Are you a troll hired by some game company. Piracy isn't as black and white as you make it. MLP FIM is probably the best example of a franchise that become a cash cow because of Piracy. Also Angry Birds.

    You mean like SOPA that was evil. Back it up then. Read this http://www.free-culture.cc/freecontent/
    It is extremly evil.
  • edited April 2013
    TheBigGuns wrote: »
    Looks like The game I am making called Awesome Pony Fighting Game couldn't have come at a better time. No DRM, all assets under Creative Commons CC-BY 3.0,code under GPLV3. The gaming industry business model is about to change. Here is the Demo https://github.com/jubilee145/APFG

    All my worries about the future of Xbox are now moot, thanks to the existence of a demo of an indie game about ponies.

    That's a relief!
  • edited April 2013
    Scnew wrote: »
    All my worries about the future of Xbox are now moot, thanks to the existence of a demo of an indie game about ponies.

    That's a relief!

    OUYA success is probably more important. But everything starts from a demo right? The success of this game is pretty important for the future of the gaming industry. It is going to try things that other game companies fear to do.
  • edited April 2013
    Ribs wrote: »
    ...there's also absolutely nothing wrong with censorship.
    Censorship is a necessity in extreme circumstances (such as replacing absurd comments in forums) but generally is the refuge of oppressors and molly cuddlers, who think that they know what's best for the rest of us.

    Couldn't agree more, Ribs.
  • edited April 2013
    St_Eddie wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, Ribs.

    Hey you changed his quote and made him sound sane thats not fair.
  • edited April 2013
    TheBigGuns wrote: »
    Hey you changed his quote and made him sound sane thats not fair.

    He himself said that "there's nothing wrong with censorship". So by his logic, what I did was completely fair.

    What I did there; do you see?
  • edited April 2013
    St_Eddie wrote: »
    He himself said that "there's nothing wrong with censorship". So by his logic, what I did was completely fair.

    What I did there; do you see it?
    You made him look like a living,thinking human rather than someone from the RIAA
  • edited April 2013
    Ribs, change your username to Big Brother or 1984 or Orwell.
  • edited April 2013
    Lets do a kickstarter for super tux a free culture game under Code license GPLV3 with Content/assets license Creative Commons 3.0 BY-SA https://code.google.com/p/supertux/downloads/list
    To improve the lastest version which is SuperTux 0.3.3 Source Release http://code.google.com/p/supertux/downloads/detail?name=supertux-0.3.3.tar.bz2&can=2&q=
    Because we are legally allowed to do so and to annoy Ribs. We have to license the assets we make under under Creative Commons 3.0 BY-SA though.
  • edited April 2013
    Ribs wrote: »
    Good. Used games are a horrible thing and are legitimately taking money out of publishers' hands. Would be happy to see the back of them.

    Sure. And second hand sales of DVDs and Blurays steals money from film production companies. And used car sales steals money from car manufacturers. And used book sales steals money from book publishers and authors.

    There is a market for second-hand merchandise for lots of things.

    I'm sorry, but your argument is completely invalid.

    Ribs wrote: »
    Also would be happy to see if this cuts down on piracy as well somehow, which'd be great.
    Because EA's idiocy cuts down on piracy of their games?

    Wait, no it doesn't.


    Gabe Newell, co-founder of Valve, has said that piracy is a service problem, in that piracy can be stemmed by offering a better service than the pirates do. Forcing legitimate customers to always be online or else be unable to start games nor save progress while ingame is NOT superior service.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.