User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter/Crowdfunding thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited by Jennifer - Viewed by 33.3K users
Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!
1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    Rather Dashing;785441 said:

They promised a DRM-free version, and yet that version won't have access to a part of the game that they "feel most strongly about", which is there so "everyone" can create their own runs. Modding is a pretty important part of the pitch and cutting it out for people who don't use Steam, after promising a DRM-free edition, is kind of shitty.

[...]People who backed under the assumption that they'd get a version of the game sans-DRM and then telling those same people that a major feature and all future support are being pulled, at the very best, is something that technically follows the letter of the promise while pulling the rug out from beneath them when it comes to the spirit of the thing, leaving many of their earliest and most fervent supporters stranded and considered second-class citizens.
    That and exactly that. The backers who have only put their money on this game BECAUSE a DRM free version was announced do not only get the short end of the stick, they get beaten with it as well. They will have to make do with a crippled - or to be more precise, cauterized - version of the game without any future stories, whether community or Harebrained created. Same goes for the editor, which would be of absolutely no use in the game if you can't share.

Steam has made Jordan Weisman an offer he obviously didn't refuse, and I really do not want to see the terms of that contract. My blood's boiling from this affront. All that philosophy of community and sharing, all just bla bla.

They've made a game that only is fully functional via Steam with the money of backers explicitly pledging for a DRM free game. I have words for that practice, I really do.
  • Congratulations. You have been screwed on Kickstarter. You are now in the club.
  • I argue the point that an editor is useless if you can't share the result. I cannot tell you how many hours I spent as a kid dicking around with the Age of Empires II campaign editor. And my computer wasn't even hooked up to the internet.

Basically, it was fun whether or not I could share the results. I kept trying to make a perfect Robin Hood campaign, but I could never figure out how to get the triggers to work the way I wanted them to. And I was also eleven, so I couldn't exactly do the voicework.
  • I seem to vaguely recall there being promises of mod tools for Duke Nukem Forever, so yeah, I can kind of see/feel where you're coming from. I think. Sort of.

Of course, fans are resourceful people and I'm sure bedroom coders will find a way to make the DRM-Free version compatible with custom stuff. Not saying they should have to in the first place, only that they will.
  • Recently backed Risk of Rain, which I've been following and looks absolutely amazing. Anyone interested by the pitch should try the free demo there, it's already pretty fun.

I also recently backed Shovel Knight, which looks pretty fun, but they're REALLY overpricing their stretch goals. $15,000 for a simple gender-swap, for example. The recent Game Grumps video should help them hit all of them, though.

It's pretty nice to see these two games priced at $10 each for the backer level that gets you the base PC game, as most of the Kickstarters I've seen save that for at least the "$15 or more" level.
  • Vainamoinen;785508 said:
    They've made a game that only is fully functional via Steam with the money of backers explicitly pledging for a DRM free game. I have words for that practice, I really do.
    Well I'll buy this game then. I love their business model.

Edit: Yes. That was irony.
  • RingmasterJ5;785577 said:
    I also recently backed Shovel Knight, which looks pretty fun, but they're REALLY overpricing their stretch goals. $15,000 for a simple gender-swap, for example. The recent Game Grumps video should help them hit all of them, though.
    How the hell did I not back this?
  • Well, a gender swap might be really expensive if they have to hire another set of voice actors to make it work.
  • Alcoremortis;785609 said:
    Well, a gender swap might be really expensive if they have to hire another set of voice actors to make it work.
    They don't. There is no voice acting.
  • Alcoremortis;785414 said:
    To be perfectly fair, there's not really a way to get user-created content without some way of... distributing that content. Same with the DLC. There's not a really good way of distributing it unless they go to GoG or something.
    I'm in this camp.
Add Comment