User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 20.2K users
...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.
681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • JFP;784135 said:
    I really want Telltale to buy the rights to at least some of the IPs, and I think history has shown that Disney might bite.
    Does anything make you think *Telltale* would bite?!
  • So I don't know if this was ever officially said, but it has been now - From 2015, Disney wants a new Star Wars film every year, alternating between core films and spin-off Solo movies.

D'ya... d'ya see what I did there? With the Solo thing? God I'm good.
  • Merchandising, merchandising.
  • Darth Marsden;787680 said:
    So I don't know if this was ever officially said, but it has been now - From 2015, Disney wants a new Star Wars film every year, alternating between core films and spin-off Solo movies.

D'ya... d'ya see what I did there? With the Solo thing? God I'm good.
    I would say they're going to kill the brand, but it's already been dead since right after Timothy Zahn got done writing books for Star Wars.
  • Well, maybe the films will just replace the endless stream of star wars games set in the extended universe.
  • Friar;787710 said:
    Well, maybe the films will just replace the endless stream of star wars games set in the extended universe.
    And hopefully anything written by Kevin J Anderson.
  • Sounds fine to me.

Also:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who sees this.
  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator
    The one thing I'm confused about this whole mess is whether LucasArts was completely shut down. All the articles pointed out that they closed down LucasArts as a developer, but does anyone know if it still exists as a brick-and-mortar publisher (or if it now exists as just a label)? It didn't sound like they laid off everybody, although I could be wrong (since they've had so many layoffs over the years, it's hard to tell whether 150 people was its entire staff).
  • Jennifer;787768 said:
    The one thing I'm confused about this whole mess is whether LucasArts was completely shut down. All the articles pointed out that they closed down LucasArts as a developer, but does anyone know if it still exists as a brick-and-mortar publisher (or if it now exists as just a label)? It didn't sound like they laid off everybody, although I could be wrong (since they've had so many layoffs over the years, it's hard to tell whether 150 people was its entire staff).
    As I understood it, LucasArts continues to exist as an entity, for the purpose of Licensing Lucasfilm properties (quite possibly Star Wars exclusively) out to other developers. I believe an article described their remaining staff as being "less than ten" employees. I wouldn't expect them to do any publishing, that will probably fall on the companies they license the properties out to.
Add Comment