User Avatar Image

Different Voice Actor for Max in PN2?

posted by Tora Newton Y. on - last edited - Viewed by 3.9K users
As I was playing Poker Night 2 tonight, I noticed Max sounded a little different. Of course I thought he still sounded like Max (from the rest of the Telltale Sam & Max games), so I just figured it was something like William Kasten hadn't done the voice for a while.

But when I checked the credits I noticed that Max isn't voiced by William Kasten (his regular voice actor for the Telltale games) in PN2. He's voiced by someone named Dave Boat.

While it's admittedly rather impressive that I didn't realize it was a different voice actor until I checked (props to Mr. Boat there) it makes me wonder why Max is voiced by someone else, while Sam is still voiced by David Nowlin.

So why isn't Mr. Kasten voicing Max in PN2?
43 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Probably a scheduling conflict.

Or his contract expired.
  • Really? It sure SOUNDS a lot like him. Maybe he's using a different name this time?
  • It sounds like he was a bit more drunk so I thought that was just what the idea was, no clue it was someone new.
  • I'm curious as to why as well. I noticed that Max sounded slightly deeper in the intro, but eventually leveled out in the few lines I did hear of his.
  • To me, it literally sounds like a mash-up between Andrew Chaikin's Max and William Kasten's Max.

Pretty cool they were able to find a Max voice like that.
  • *slams fist*

We demand answers.

Seriously though. Staff, can we get a little insight on this? I know you're all watching. We can wait til monday.
  • I'm usually pretty good with VAs, but I didn't even notice this one until I read this thread. Now I can just barely tell there's a difference; even this Dave Boat's delivery is almost identical to Kasten's.

I do hope this is just temporary, since I've grown fond of the Nowlin/Kasten team as though they were Sam & Max themselves ): But if it is what it is, then Boat is still really good!
  • I only noticed a difference whenever he had to stretch out the pronunciation of the letter "a," other than that I thought he was indistinguishable from Katsen for the most part.

This is after coming fresh off a Sam and Max marathon, so if they had to get a new voice, I don't think they could've found a better sound-alike.
  • Wow
    I didn't even notice...
    So there have now been 3 Telltale Max's, 1 for Lucasarts and one for the Cartoon...
    This Max is pretty good though sounds just like the Max I'm used to
  • I'd like to hear clarification from someone from Telltale about this!
Add Comment