User Avatar Image

Pirating Games: Good Gods, Read This

posted by DAISHI on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users
http://www.greenheartgames.com/2013/04/29/what-happens-when-pirates-play-a-game-development-simulator-and-then-go-bankrupt-because-of-piracy/

Over 93.6% of players stole the game. We know this because our game contains some code to send anonymous-usage data to our server. Nothing unusual or harmful. Heaps of games/apps do this and we use it to better understand how the game is played. It’s absolutely anonymous and you are covered by our privacy policy. Anyway, the cracked version has a separate ID so I can separate the data. I’m sure some of the players have firewalls and some will play offline therefore the actual number of players for the cracked version is likely much higher.
41 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I read that. Seems horrible. Especially when the people that pirated then complained about piracy ruining their businesses ingame and didn't even see the connection.
  • Wow, that's an awesome experiment, but it's also very sad. After reading this, I might pick up the game down the road at some point, but for now I at least gave them my vote on Greenlight.
  • This number will probable go down a bit over time
  • Yeah, I don't think day one numbers are much to go by. Legitimate buyers are more likely to not know about a game until it receives a write up in a game magazine or a mention on some game forums. Then they'll probably think about it for a while, read a few more reviews and consider for a while if they think it's worth it. Whereas a pirate is more likely to just download any new game that shows up on a torrent site they frequent.
  • Totalbiscuit streamed the game a few hours ago. 27K+ viewers. Hope some of them buy it. They kinda broke the store page though.
  • The problem is that, before this story came out, not many people knew of the game, nor how to get it. Not that this is even remotely a defence for the pirates, but when the game in question is tricky to actually purchase and the developers themselves actually put a version of the game up on pirate sites, these sorts of figures aren't that surprising.
  • Darth Marsden;791408 said:
    Not that this is even remotely a defence for the pirates, but when the game in question is tricky to actually purchase and the developers themselves actually put a version of the game up on pirate sites, these sorts of figures aren't that surprising.
    I absolutely agree. No one would have cared for it if it wasn't for the buzz or even the torrented version. 214 sales on the first day is nothing.
  • Conversely you could also perceive this as a bad sign for any gaming indie scene. How can we expect experimentation if this scenario repeats itself in other games?
  • It has always been this way though. Be on Steam or be dead on PC as an indie developer.
  • der_ketzer;791412 said:
    It has always been this way though. Be on Steam or be dead on PC as an indie developer.
    I guess you and Vainamonen aren't on good terms :D
Add Comment